Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 volume primer management

When loading a batch of several hundred rounds without falling out of primers, how do you stage and fill the primer tubes to evenly match the supplies of primers and cases (NB : you can't totally empty a tube and 11 primers remain after the buzzer alarm).

Ex. : loading 200 cases : 1st tube = 100 primers -BUZZ- 2nd rube = 85 pr -BUZZ-3rd tube = 15 pr, or else ?

I'm curious about your comments.

Edited by André

Well, André, if I understand your question correctly, I think a lot of people might be like me- to load 200 rounds, I would load 100 primers -BUZZ- load 100 primers -BUZZ- then just operate the lever 11 times and work the rest of the primers through the mechanism.

I do not defend this method as most efficient, but because it's simple and a habit. ;)

I never am that precise....I just sit down and pull the handle until I am tired. Usually between 500-1000 rounds.....I guess that is why I have WAY too much ammo loaded.

I mostly use Fiocchi primer which are packaged in 150 counts flats for some reason and just throw them into my RF100 so I never just have 100 in a tube.

Lee

Andre,

I'm not trying to be insulting when I ask... why be so anal about matching the number of primers to the amount of brass you are loading in a reloading session?

I leave primers, brass and powder in my 650 when I am finished loading for a match or practice. The next reloading session I just start cranking the handle again and replenish brass, bullets and primers as needed. :cheers:

Pat

Your question is making my brain hurt. :wacko: I have a slight touch of OCD when it comes to most things, so I understand where you are coming from, but I don't quite understand what you are asking.

I just dump an Incredible Hulk cup of brass into the feeder, tap the powder measure, toss a handful or two of bullets into the tray, dump a filler tube of 100 into the tube, and just pulling the lever. I have modified the length of my primer alarm rod. When it goes off, I shut off the case feeder, so that the case feeder tube is empty when I run out of primers.

I have modified the length of my primer alarm rod. When it goes off, I shut off the case feeder, so that the case feeder tube is empty when I run out of primers.

This is a brilliant idea. I always just count pulls so I end up with the right number of cases for the primers that are left.

Any insight on how you modified the rod? Pictures?

I have modified the length of my primer alarm rod. When it goes off, I shut off the case feeder, so that the case feeder tube is empty when I run out of primers.

This is a brilliant idea. I always just count pulls so I end up with the right number of cases for the primers that are left.

Any insight on how you modified the rod? Pictures?

Since I am working out of town right now, I do not have access to the rod to measure it. IIRC, there are small "dots" on the rod that are at "25 primer" intervals +/-. I don't know if this is intentional or not. I learned this after I used the trial and error method to cut mine. If I remember, I will measure the rod when I return home. Mine is usually with in two case or less.

edit: to fix my f-ing awful spelling. Christ Almighty I suck...

Edited by sirveyr

Yeah - The lenght of the primer rod would be a good thing except for the problem of what size cases are you using. There is a whole bunch of 9mm in the tube, but there are only about a half dozen 30-06 cases.

I've been handloading for 40 years and have made it a habit to keep my bench empty of powder and primers between loading sessions. I guess habits no longer change when they're so deeply ingrained.

Yeah - The lenght of the primer rod would be a good thing except for the problem of what size cases are you using. There is a whole bunch of 9mm in the tube, but there are only about a half dozen 30-06 cases.

Correct. I pretty much load 9mm exclusively, so chopping the rod makes sense. One can always buy more rods and "customize" them.

Edited by sirveyr

I learned this after I used the trial and error method to cut mine. If I remember, I will measure the rod when I return home. Mine is usually with in two case or less.

Yeah, if you get a chance, that would be great. It would save me some trial and error time. I load 9mm almost exclusively, so a permanent mod isn't a problem for me.

Did you have to add any additional weight to the rod to replace the mass you removed?

I learned this after I used the trial and error method to cut mine. If I remember, I will measure the rod when I return home. Mine is usually with in two case or less.

Yeah, if you get a chance, that would be great. It would save me some trial and error time. I load 9mm almost exclusively, so a permanent mod isn't a problem for me.

Did you have to add any additional weight to the rod to replace the mass you removed?

I finally returned home and remembered to measure the rod. It is 13 7/8" from the bottom of the part that contacts the alarm lever.

No, I did not need to add any additional weight to compensate for the mass that I removed.

I hope this helps.