Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At a point of frustration...

Aristotle

I've owned many BladeTech holsters in the past, and this has always been an issue I've had with removing the screw's off of my BladeTech holster to adjust the cant and belt loop. This time I'm trying to remove the DOH of my new BT holster for my M&P, and all 3 screws just all keep spinning. There's no way for me to get any grip with them from behind, and in the past, I've had to half way ruin my holster just to get these stubborn screws out. I wish they were locked in there somehow.

Any tips? I'm so frustrated at this point I'm considering getting rid of it and exchange it for another holster.

If you can get to them I've been able to use needle nose pliers on the back. Just put one jaw inside the female threaded hole and the other on the outside and it usually gives you enough to get it free.

Yeah, that's how I've been doing it, but this time the screws are all the way out to the point where I can't get a good grasp with my needle noses. I've also put some oil in the threads to get them to break free, nada. In the past, I've had to use a little flat head and carve out a hole big enough to get both sides of the NNP around the donought, but again, I don't want to have to do that to a brand new holster.

I've also tried wedging a flathead in between the holster and the DOH to get more tension on the nut and no deal.

Well, that was my tip. Have you tried cussing as you do it? It's always been part of the process for me.

Funny that I used to end up losing the inner screw all the time after a series of matches. They somehow alway unscrewed themselves at the most inopportune times. It was what made me switch to Comp-Tac.

On the other hand, I do love the what BladeTech has made for my Witness Match. My trick when dealing with the inner screws was to stick in a small allen wrench and put pressure on in to keep the inner screw from spinning.

Hello: Crazy glue the nut to the plastic holster. It will allow you to remove the bolt and won't be permanant. My Blade-Tech solution is to get 2 holsters and I leave the DOH on one and just the stingray on the other for my 6" limited gun. All other holsters are either Comp-Tac or a Ghost for Open. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Crazy glue the nut to the plastic holster. It will allow you to remove the bolt and won't be permanant. My Blade-Tech solution is to get 2 holsters and I leave the DOH on one and just the stingray on the other for my 6" limited gun. All other holsters are either Comp-Tac or a Ghost for Open. Thanks, Eric

I thought of super glue, but wondered if it wouldn't eat a bit too much of the plastic...no problems there? R,

If you have a flat piece of black rubber sheeting, I've found that laying the rubber on a table, then laying the holster on top of that with the female portion of the Chicago screw in contact with the rubber (this will entail hanging the holster off the edge off the table), then bearing down HARD on the screwdriver while simultaneously turning it works. The rubber "grabs" the female portion of the Chicago screw and prevents it from spinning with the screw.

Failing that, I have, frankly, never had much luck with needlenose pliers in this situation. I find that hognoses work much better.

I have some epoxy setting on the screws now...

No, probably won't do any "serious" competing with the gun quite yet. I'm tempted to shoot it in Limited minor for my match next weekend to see how it'll perform stock. I still have to decide on whether or not it's earned a spot in my safe yet. Then it's test and tune, then it see's a match.

State match means it's time to "bring it", and I'm running with my bottom chick.

I must admit I much prefer Comp-Tac's approach of having the "female" half of the screw assembly feature little "teeth" that lock into the kydex so that it won't spin on you. Installing, removing, tightening and loosening the screws can be one HELL of a lot easier on this brand than on Blade-Tech - one of the few things I don't love about my Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holsters, frankly.

"Bottom chick"?

When you start off for your quest to the top, you start from the bottom. She's the one that's been with you through thick and thin, from the beginning, from the bottom.

Edited by Aristotle

once you get the screws out..go with these knobs..perfect for the BT holster

http://3gunstuff.com/knobs.htm

Thanks Stuart. I use something similar already from a local HW store. Unfortunately, these are the 3 screws that secure the holster to the DOH. And I think I am just about done with this holster. Time to move onto greener pastures, this should not be this difficult. I've got 99 problems, and adjusting a holster should not be one of them.