Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire on your tv

jnikoley

I've created some dry fire drills in Power Point to be used on a large screen TV. Copy and paste the following link into a separate browser window to download: http://24.242.52.3/Classifiers/ edit: this link is shut down. Use JThompson's link for all files

Notes:

Ensure your gun is empty!

Run the power point slides off of a laptop connected to a large screen hdtv or projector.

If you download a power point file with the extension "ppt", selet "slide show" from the menu bar at the top, and choose "start show" (+from the beginning for office 2007). The file with the extension "pps" will automatically start in slide show mode.

Follow the on screen instructions when provided.

A buzzer will provide you a start signal, and a Classification timer is included for the Classifiers.

Simulated gun shots are provided with some files titled "with shots" in order for you to work on cadence. These shots are set up for GM class runs. If you are proficient with power point, you can modify the timing for your particular class.

Recommended download: "All classifiers with shots". It's a large file, be patient. I'm using my home computer as the server for these files, they will only be available for a limited time. I will stop providing these files by 1700 hrs 08182010 as all the downloading slows my internet connection, etc. Hopefully, you can all share these with one another.

Have fun!

p.s. Feel free to re-host this on your own server. I made these for everyone to use.

Edited by jnikoley

Hi Jason,

I can't link to the address you gave - I suspect that nobody will be able to, since 192.168.x.x is a non-routable local network address. You may have to post the file somewhere else on a public server.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Scott

Umm... the 192.x.x.x set of IP addresses are local only to your network. We outside your home/work network won't be able to see it.

Do you have have an outfacing static IP address?

[Edit]

Scott was faster on the draw. :-)

Edited by Skydiver

Thanks.

"RAR" and "ZIP" compressed folders added: http://173.173.29.5/Classifiers

Jason - The link is bad...

I was able to get the others from JThompson. However, 2009 Classifiers no Shots failed to extract.

The fast download should be fixed now.... feel free to use the Quinn link.

JT

Edited by JThompson

Thanks.

"RAR" and "ZIP" compressed folders added: http://173.173.29.5/Classifiers

Jason - The link is bad...

I was able to get the others from JThompson. However, 2009 Classifiers no Shots failed to extract.

The fast download should be fixed now.... feel free to use the Quinn link.

JT

Thanks, JT. I tested it out and the download and extraction worked no prob.

Bulletin: I'm shutting down the original links. Use the link JT posted. It will allow you to download all files very quickly. In order to use the downloaded file, you will need to extract the files using a program called "winrar". Google "winrar", and download the free/trial version if you don't have it. After installing WinRar, double click the downloaded file "classifiers.rar" WinRar opens, and will ask you if you want to buy the full version. Select "no". In the menu bar at the top select "extract to". In the new dialog box that opens, select ok. The files will be extracted so that you can use them. If you have any issues, PM me.

Thats nice, but, every major match I ever attended usually had a "dead" TV by the time it was over. Sometimes more than one !!! :roflol:

LOL.... Did I mention not to use live ammo??

Seriously though, yes you do run the risk of shooting your tv. You are pointing a gun at it, and stuff happens. Any time we dry fire, we violate basic safety rules, but in this case if you have a mishap, instead of putting a hole in the wall, you destroy your hdtv. Under no circumstances should you dry fire without "clearing" what is "down range" of your muzzle. I have a brick wall on the other side of my tv, and no person will be forward of the "180" in my house, in any room, when I dry fire. I accept the risk of losing the tv. Besides, if I did happen to "accidentally" shoot it, I would have an excuse, I mean, um, the necessity, to go buy a bigger/better one.

Thats nice, but, every major match I ever attended usually had a "dead" TV by the time it was over. Sometimes more than one !!! :roflol:

LOL.... Did I mention not to use live ammo??

Seriously though, yes you do run the risk of shooting your tv. You are pointing a gun at it, and stuff happens. Any time we dry fire, we violate basic safety rules, but in this case if you have a mishap, instead of putting a hole in the wall, you destroy your hdtv. Under no circumstances should you dry fire without "clearing" what is "down range" of your muzzle. I have a brick wall on the other side of my tv, and no person will be forward of the "180" in my house, in any room, when I dry fire. I accept the risk of losing the tv. Besides, if I did happen to "accidentally" shoot it, I would have an excuse, I mean, um, the necessity, to go buy a bigger/better one.

Sounds like an excuse to get an overhead projection system and a dedicated home theater dry fire room. The surround sound system is to better simulate the buzzer over the right/left ear, as well as the distractions of a normal match.

Again, thanks for putting together those slides.

Hmmmmm. To me, this seems to have some potential on a live fire indoor range as well. Image having a large white paper background and projecting targets at random intervals. These targets could be moving , static, or a combination of both. You could theoretically create millions of different "stages" with just a few clicks of the mouse. Someone more computer savvy than I could easily "wire in" a timer to the entire system. The timer, when interfaced with the program, could be used during playback mode to see exactly where shots hit on moving targets, and to measure the time from a target materializing to muzzle report.

Hmmmmm. To me, this seems to have some potential on a live fire indoor range as well. Image having a large white paper background and projecting targets at random intervals. These targets could be moving , static, or a combination of both. You could theoretically create millions of different "stages" with just a few clicks of the mouse. Someone more computer savvy than I could easily "wire in" a timer to the entire system. The timer, when interfaced with the program, could be used during playback mode to see exactly where shots hit on moving targets, and to measure the time from a target materializing to muzzle report.

Although I didn't intend this for live fire, I don't see why you couldn't do it. I did intend this to also be used for airsoft, projecting the targets onto a hard wall or sheet of paper, or even on a large tv with a plate glass shield to protect the display. What I would like to see is a professional software developer create something like this. They already use such simulations to train military and police.

Ive been thinking a little more about this today. One could play scenes from dawn of the dead, 28 days/weeks later, or other zombie movies, and have a really entertaining practice session. This could be taken a few steps further by finding a way to detect bullet strikes in real time and add animations like zombie head smears, or zombies collapsing after being hit. Basically a video game with a real gun. Were talking some real money to pull this off, but I think an established range could draw a very large crowd to a "zombie night".

Ok, I'm done derailing this thread.