Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New iMac i5

jasmap

We just bought an iMac Quad Core i5 today. It's my first time using an Apple computer since middle school in the mid 80's. I am about to go install it and hopefully edit some video tonight.

Any tips for video editing, photos, iMac use, or internet use?

iMovie is great for creating movies and burn them to DVD with iDVD. They come packaged with iLife which may have come with your computer.

iPhoto is ideal for organising photos but the editing package is a little spartan.

Safari is (in my opinion) one of the best browsers out there, I use the standard Mail package for e-mail and it works fine for me.

There's tons of discussion forums for all Apple related stuff at http://discussions.apple.com

iMovie is great for creating movies and burn them to DVD with iDVD. They come packaged with iLife which may have come with your computer.

iPhoto is ideal for organising photos but the editing package is a little spartan.

Safari is (in my opinion) one of the best browsers out there, I use the standard Mail package for e-mail and it works fine for me.

There's tons of discussion forums for all Apple related stuff at http://discussions.apple.com

Thanks. The iMovie appears simple enough and looks like it has all the features I would need. I was curious about the email situation but I can still link up to my live account also. Thanks!

Setting up MAIL is a piece of cake, and for me it is much easier than accessing mail from a web-site.

There are many 'hidden' features of iMovie, it appears simple (that's the beauty of it) but you can produce very professional looking DVD's with it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. The iMovie appears simple enough and looks like it has all the features I would need. I was curious about the email situation but I can still link up to my live account also. Thanks!

iMovie is what I use for my HD hat cam footage.

USB connect to the camera, iMovie loads up, import files, edit footage, export & upload to youtube.

Easy.

Welcome to easy computing.

Edited by maineshootah

• 4 weeks later...

You will be surprised at the power of iMovie, it really does a nice job. If you have spare time, check out the iMovie tutorials over on youtube, I picked up a few tricks that way.

As someone else mentioned Iphoto is great for cataloging and viewing, but it is a little lapse in the editing department. You can download a free trial of Aperture and give it a shot, I shoot a lot of photos in raw and have really enjoyed playing with aperture.

Enjoy it!