Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting major matches?

mikeg1005

Hows it going.

So I started shooting USPSA single stack this year. I try to attend as many local matches as I can.. but I also see major matches that are coming up next year/this year and would be interesting in trying to shoot at them..

Lets do a hypothetical situation...

If a classified shooter wants to shoot a major match...what does he have to do in order to shoot/be able to shoot at

Sectional match?

Area match?

National(single stack) match?

Looking at the schedules... it seems most are multi-day events... does this mean I have to attend all the days or simply the day for which I would be registered to shoot?

I understand that I'd have to make sure I meet the requirements for my division/power factor/etc. since its a lot more strict than a local match.

Mike.

most sectional/area matches have multiple day formats but yo can shoot on a single day if you choose. I just shot the Indiana Sectional (my first, also in single stack) and shot it on a sunday. For the area/sectional matches all you have to do is sign up and send a check before the cutoff dates listed or before its full. nationals are a bit different and to be honest idk how they work exactly. It has to do with slots being available from different things. im sure someone will chime in with mre details there...

most sectional/area matches have multiple day formats but yo can shoot on a single day if you choose. I just shot the Indiana Sectional (my first, also in single stack) and shot it on a sunday. For the area/sectional matches all you have to do is sign up and send a check before the cutoff dates listed or before its full. nationals are a bit different and to be honest idk how they work exactly. It has to do with slots being available from different things. im sure someone will chime in with mre details there...

Do they allow walk-ons for sectoinals? I live in IL and I know theres one this weekend.

Mike.

Do they allow walk-ons for sectoinals? I live in IL and I know theres one this weekend.

Mike.

Many times you can walk on I did that last year at the USPSA Limited Nationals. Try to contact them via phone or email. Sometimes they are actually full.

How do they rank you.... I look online and the winners always the guy with the high classification... Do they have 1st place for GM/M/A/B/C/D classes or do you just shoot against everyone and hope you can beat a grand master?

Mike.

both. you shoot against everyone in your division for HOA (high overall)within that division. you are also shooting against people of your class level. usually, is there are 5 or more shooters within a single class, top few will get some type of trophy or plaque.

If you want to shoot the IL sectional, call Chuck Varnold. His number is on the USPSA web site along with web address. Mr. Varnold is very good about returning calls also with respond to email, but phone seems faster if you want a quick reply. Looks like they still have room. Chuck will answer the phone or call you back as soon as he gets your message.

• 2 weeks later...

Area, State, and Section USPSA matches are simply pay to play. You send in your money and you get a slot.

Nationals requires a slot before you can send in your money. Slots are given to local clubs, sponsors, area presidents and the like. I believe some of the top shooters are invited but I'm not sure how that works since it hasn't happened to me yet.

If you haven't shot a major yet, do so! They stages are bigger and better. The props are cooler and there is this really awesome thing called a prize table.

+1 to all of that.

Also, for anything other than a local match, you must be a USPSA member.