Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossberg 930 range report and issues

ghertz

I picked up a mossberg 930 home security model a week or so ago and went to the range this morning. I did take it apart and give it a good cleaning and lube before i went out today. I've done a lot of reading on the various issues people have seen and the suggestions to start with High Power loads to break it in. I had 10 Winchester slugs 1625fps and 2 boxes of Winchester AA 7 1/2 shot 1300fps. The gun is stock except for a mesa tactical shot shell holder and a limbsaver.

I ran the slugs and it wouldn't cycle in the next round. It ejected fine but didn't load the next round.

I ran the 7 1/2 shot and had the same problem. At the end of the second box it would load the 2nd round out of the tube but not any of the others.

anyone have any suggestions? My plan right now is to take off the shotshell holder and limbsaver and give it another good cleaning and lube and see if it runs any better.

I got an email back from mesa tactical today.

"If the chicago screws are not too tight (ie, squeezing the receiver), this may be a result of the shafts of the screws not being a large enough diameter. This is a known problem and we are dealing with it by making new fasteners with a greater diameter. These should be completed in a week or so and we would be happy to send you replacements. Please give us a call in a week or so."

I tightened the screws finger tight as the directions stated, although the directions also said the screws were sized so they can be tightened without squeezing the action. I asked them to send me the replacement screws when they become available and I'll give it a try. Right now I have a $60 paperweight.