Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm - 124 FMJ - VV320 range report

ghertz

I finally got out to chrono my loads today. I just started reloading a few months back and what I've got looks to be pretty running pretty well for me.

Glock 17

124gr Zero FMJ

4.2gr VV320

OAL 1.145

CCI primers

Winchester Brass

FPS Power Factor

1054 - 130.696

1063 - 131.812

1070 - 132.68

1044 - 129.456

1048 - 129.952

1054 - 130.696

1054 - 130.696

1049 - 130.076

1064 - 131.936

1059 - 131.316

Edited by ghertz

• 3 weeks later...

I have used this exact load but I've never been able to get out and chrono. Thanks for the work and the info. I also use a G34 and can only assume the FPS would increase a little with the longer barrel. Anyone?

It will be a little faster from a 34.

+1 on shorter oal. All guns are different so you should shoot some groups while tinkering with you oal, etc. So far, mine is more accurate at 1.13.

I use 4.2 N320 with a MG 124 FMJ @ 1.13 and get 135pf from my 34.

blind bat,

let me know if you succeed with anything on the OAL. I have struggled with the same issue with the G34. Seems like I can't get anything thighter than 3"- 4" with the G34 at 25. Although I don't have a rest so that's freehand, don't know if that's acceptable or not?

As far as 3-4" at 25 yards, I would call that good with a service pistol with no rest. I have started putting a metric target up at 25 yards instead of just shooting groups at a smaller target. I try to draw, move around, etc. on the target and see how I do at keeping them in or near the A Zone.

I tried the rest but I found shooting free style wasn't much different. My pistol instructor shot my G34 and his G34 from a rest with a bunch of different ammo and he couldn't either G34 to group any better than I could. He then grabbed his 38 Super 1911, Bruce Gray spectacular and shot a nice small group. I'm going to try reducing the OAL and some .356" 38 Super bullets before I call up KKM for a barrel.

I hadn't started changing the OAL on my load yet. i actually just picked up a M&P 9L and I want to see how it runs with that then try different OAL to try and dial it in. How does a change to the OAL impact accuracy (I'm new to reloading)?

I tried the rest but I found shooting free style wasn't much different. My pistol instructor shot my G34 and his G34 from a rest with a bunch of different ammo and he couldn't either G34 to group any better than I could. He then grabbed his 38 Super 1911, Bruce Gray spectacular and shot a nice small group. I'm going to try reducing the OAL and some .356" 38 Super bullets before I call up KKM for a barrel.

Before you change, or buy anything, try this one simple test....I know it sounds odd, but it's been very reliable. Get a small towel that you can roll up/fold and place it on the bench. Use that to support your wrists and even a little bit of your forearm (whatever's comfortable) and it's okay to have the mag basepad grounded as well. Then, use a really firm grip...crank right down on the gun as much as you can without messing up the trigger press. It sounds weird, but I can shoot with a normal grip, then a super firm grip as described and watch the group size cut in half...literally in half, with Glocks and M&Ps. It doesn't seem to make a difference with 1911/2011s, but with the polymer framed guns it sure seems to. R,

I hadn't started changing the OAL on my load yet. i actually just picked up a M&P 9L and I want to see how it runs with that then try different OAL to try and dial it in. How does a change to the OAL impact accuracy (I'm new to reloading)?

Keep in mind that if you're going to go to any major matches, you want to be well over 130PF just in case. N320 is very temperature stable, but you've only got one data point, from one day, with certain conditions (lighting and temp mostly). Sometimes folks who are at 130PF "at home" go to big matches and wind up sub-Minor, which means shooting for score.

M&Ps tend to run a little bit slower than Glocks (rifling differences), but the 17 has a shorter barrel, so the two might be close to one another. I do know that my M&P runs better at 135-140PF, and even a bit higher doesn't seem to hurt anything at all.

1.125" is a good number to use for the M&P (Dan Burwell recommended it to me, and it's been good) and should work in Glocks as well. A change in OAL will reduce or increase the amount of distance the bullet has to jump before contacting the rifling. Normally less distance means better accuracy because the bullet has less distance to get misaligned, but with guns and barrels, anything is possible.

Keep in mind that changing the OAL will also change the pressure/velocity (longer will be lower/slower and vice-versa). R,

The most accurate load I've found for my 34 (and my M&P Pro) is a Zero, .356, 125 grain jhp, with 4 grains of Titegroup. I just picked up a jug of 320, but, haven't had time to try it yet.

Before you buy a KKM barrel , you will not get much better accuracy from the drop in barrel , to get better than the factory barrel you will need to have a gunsmith fit KKM or Bar-sto .