Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to Eject on .45 2011

feederic

Hey guys, I've been having a serious problem lately with my 2011. Right now its single shot at its best, and when I fire a round the brass is held into the extractor and never gets kicked out. Would simply swapping ejectors out help? I have a ejector from brazos sitting on my desk, but would rather not throw it in myself. What really gets me is Irv Stone had this gun for 6 months for a hardchrome job and said it was working fine and shipped it back to me. I've tried my ammo, and factory ammo with the same problem. I've also tried different hands, different, mags, and different shooters but this gun is unshootable. Would a guru like Benny Hill or Terry Tussey be able to get this running like a champ?

EDIT: I've also tried retensioning the extractor, but that doesn't seem to help either.

post-19767-057912800 1281837563_thumb.jp

post-19767-074025900 1281837571_thumb.jp

post-19767-056293200 1281837596_thumb.jp

Edited by feederic

Looks like the ejector has been broken off. How about a pic without the brass in the way so we can it. Putting an ejector in is not that hard, all you need is a file , a little time, and some patience. Lot cheaper and faster than having a smith do it.

Looks like the ejector has been broken off. How about a pic without the brass in the way so we can it. Putting an ejector in is not that hard, all you need is a file , a little time, and some patience. Lot cheaper and faster than having a smith do it.

Thanks, maybe I'll try it out myself. I see the hole where the ejector normally gets pinned but all I see is light. I'm guessing I'll need to heat it up, put the ejector in a vise, and wiggle the frame to get it off?

So the pin is missing to? Looks to be there in the picture. Shouldn't have to heat anything up. Just drive out the pin and then you should be able to grab the ejector with a something and twist/pul it out.

So the pin is missing to? Looks to be there in the picture. Shouldn't have to heat anything up. Just drive out the pin and then you should be able to grab the ejector with a something and twist/pul it out.

There wasn't a pin, its drilled but all I see is light. I took a mini torch to it and the old ejector popped right out. The brazos is in there now :)

If it's a .45, it should run with the ejector in it now. You essentially have a GI profile.

Will it kick the rounds out if you rack it by hand?

Spring? Shockbuffs?

Edited by wide45

the ejector that 'was' in it looked to be like the old WWII era .45's and they do work, just a lot more slide movement to get the round to come all the way back to get basically 'bumped' out, with a newer/longer ejector, you will have a more positive ejaction, carefull that its not so long that you cant eject live rounds out of it, and basically your good to go, asforthe cross pin, some dont really even need one(found that out on one of mine when i was cleaning it one day) as the ejector is trapped in place by the slide

If it's a .45, it should run with the ejector in it now. You essentially have a GI profile.

Will it kick the rounds out if you rack it by hand?

Spring? Shockbuffs?

It will only kick rounds out if I rack it slowly. I have a 15lb recoil spring, no shockbuffs. After installing the new ejector I'm fairly certain my extractor is the culprit. Tomorrow I'll be calling Terry Tussey and Benny Hill, I might try and get an aftec installed as well as a full reliability job.

A .45 in a 2011 is the hardest caliber (common) to get to run correctly with feeding issues a lot more common that ejection problems..

Benny did mine and it is perfect... cheers.gif

Its weird, this gun will feed lots of ammo (HPs, LSWC, LRN, 185gr, 200gr, 230gr)...its ejection though has always left much to be desired though. I'll be giving him a ring, mainly from responses like this! Do you happen to shoot Limited or Limited-10?

+1, I bet the ejector is AWOL.

• 1 month later...

Benny gave me a call yesterday to let me know the Irv is off the bench and should be here by Friday! :)

The summary of everything he did (that he mentioned over the phone at least):

1) The extractor was too long, and bent up against the case causing it to lose tension. Which in my mind explains why the extractor couldn't hold onto the brass at all and it just "sat there" when it should be ejected. The slide would eventually slam up behind it.

2) The barrel link had an "oval" shaped hole to it, causing the timing of the gun to be considerably off.

3) He tuned my mags, with new springs

4) Installed new recoil spring, extractor, and ejector.

5) Throated the barrel

6) Polished up everything that needed polishing.

Afterwards he told me he shouldn't expect ANY failures, and that he warranties his work. Its a sigh of relief to have found someone willing to get me going with what has otherwise been an expensive paperweight. I'm glad he was recommended to me on this forum and I sent my gun off to him. I told him I have some LRN and he asked if I had LSWC, which I do and he told me to shoot those. That's a first time anybody has ever said to shoot SWC out of my gun while being confident it can handle it.

Pics to come on friday!

Hello: Benny is a great guy and always willing to help out. When I lived in Corpus he would help out new shooters and even suggest things to guys like me who needed it. I used to go to his shop and look over his shoulder when he would do some of his magic. He helped me learn alot about 1911's and 2011's and would show me some of the junk that would come in that would leave running like a Swiss watch :cheers: If Benny told you to use lswc I would trust him that it will run great. Tell use how it runs. Thanks, Eric

I was able to take The Irv out to the range on saturday and work up a minor and major load. All indications are a huge success so far :) I was able to reliably feed 200gr LSWC from 650 to 950 fps, loaded long and short without a hiccup. I tried making some rounds that would cause some problems but couldn't muster it up! I only threw about 60 rounds down range, but everyone of them fed flawlessly and hit the target. My first two shots hit the same hole at 25 yds! That was encouraging, although at first I thought I had a major flier. Rapid fire I was able to keep a 4 inch group at 25 yards without barely thinking, and that isn't too bad for run 'n gun shooting. I think he also touched up the trigger, my scale had it breaking at just over 3.5 lbs. Overall I'm am VERY IMPRESSED and GRATEFUL for Benny's services, he will definitely see business from me in the future if I were to ever need it.

Overall the gun had smooth as glass action, tight crisp lockup, excellent reliability, and killer accuracy. I don't mean to bash my glock, but it definitely is nowhere near the same caliber gun The Irv is. If I can pick it up, and like magic I'm better...I'm all for it :)