Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stop Plate Rules

IYAOYAS

I shot a Steel Challenge match this weekend .The director was trying to find out if you fire more than one shot at the stop plate which one to count. For the past year your score was the amount of time for the shots fired. All shots fired. We looked at the rule book and it doesn't address this issue.

The problem was this wasn't brought up until after the match. 1 squad shot it counting all shots fired .The other squad which was the match director's squad counted the 1st shot hitting the stop plate. He told me that someone in the squad had told him it was the correct way of scoring.

The weird thing was the people that usually win didn't. All of them were in the squad that counted every shot fired.

Does anyone know the right way ? Is it in the rule book?

Why would it make a such a differance in scoring ? The winners are all about .88 sec.

apart down to about 3rd place.

Thanks

If you hit the stop plate on the first shot, then you are done. The next shot fired does not count. However, it is up to the RO to make that determination and back the timer up to that shot. If they disagree, then you are stuck with last shot fired.

The nice thing at The SC is that the stop plate is wired to the timer and stops on movement, usually :D Whe we shoot the monthly matches on the same range, it is not hooked up so we use the typical handheld timers. It is not uncommon to see somone throw two shots at the stop plate on Speed Option as it takes much longer to get visual or sound feedback of a hit. One more reason to be able to call your shots.

I have the 2002 Match Book from the Steel Challenge here. It reads:

All shots fired at primary targets after the stop plate has been stuck will be scored with a 3 second penalty each.

That would...basically...count as a miss for a skipped target.

The thing here is that the SC has a sensor on the stop plate that stops the clock.

I'll be the Match Director at the local Steel match this year. Unless I here something different here...time will stop on the last shot fired.

Stop-plate-wired-to-timer worked very well in my experience at the Challenge (though they don't use them for the .22 match). They do have a standby "flight-time" adder pre-computed for each stage that they'll tack on if they use the number off the timer should the stop plate sensor malfunction.

For local matches, we started out rolling back the clock, but pretty quickly decided not to run the timer back-- it's a nuisance, easy to screw up and slows down the match, mostly.

It's also no fun trying to back out a string of somebody getting irritated with the stop plate.