Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone running a non-Dillon Powder Measure on a Dillon Press?

Any powder that causes issues with a Dillon will also cause issues with the otehr brands.

I have used some chunky stick powders and bulky flake powders in powder measures from Lyman, Hornady, RCBS, Redding and Lee. The powders that are the most inconsistant are inconsistant across the board. Certain powders seem to suit the long powder column in things like the Hornady can be poor and unsatisfactory in a Dillon and then others that work well in Dillon are crap in Hornady etc.

For loading on a Dillon Machine it just seems to be more sensible for more powders to stick with the powder measure made for the press.

It seems to vary more when your are throwing big lots of powder 60grains plus, that you must be more vigilant with a machine mounted powder measure. You must allow time for the powder to fall properly into the case. Again large lots of chunky stick type powder seem to fall batter with a long column behind it that a flat sliding bar.

What cartridge and powder are you intending to reload???

Title says it all. I'm just curious as I've heard there are certain powder types the Dillon powder measure design does not function well with.

Thanks,

Dan

I've used my Hornady LNL powder measure with the Dillon XL650. I did this because I didn't want to use a powder thru expander not because of any issue with the powder and the Dillion measure. I put the measure in the 3rd station, it could be used in the second station with a Hornady powder thru die, which I don't like and never use.

No, but i have installed Dillon on other presses, its been my experiance that if powder dont work well in a Dillon, it wont work in the others either, i am satisfied with Dillon Presses and powder measures, i have three dillon machines and 3 Star machines, Dillon will stand behind everything they sell, and thats no BS, George.

Thanks for the input. I was under the impression there were some powders that the Dillon didn't like but others would feed well. Guess this was a false impression.

George Tucker, does Dillon own Magma? I actually have the Magma Star Lube-sizer on my to-buy list.

Edited by Dannix

Used to have many trubs with a Dillon powder dispenser and Varget. Changed to RCBS powder dispenser and case activated linkage...now no problems with Varget.

To me the Dillon has too many moving parts and can get obstinate...soo....

I liked the RCBS powder dispenser and case activated linkage so much, that I changed everything over to the same setup... all my rifle and pistol loading heads (1050 and 650) have the RCBS setup. No more bridging problems with long or short stick powder, and its easy to duplicate powder drops with the micrometer ajdustment on the RCBS dispenser. If I could figure out how to do the same thing to my Dillon SL900 shotshell loader I would.

jj

I have a Uniflow so I was curious if anyone ever had, or had seen the need, to fit something like this on their Dillon.

I dont think Dillon owns Magma Dannix, i could be wrong, George.

Cool deal. Your mention of owning 3 Star machines just threw me off.

Thanks,

Dan

I use the Lee Pro Auto-Disk and the Hornady L-N-L powder measures on my 1050s.

When developing loads, I may use the Lee Powder-through Expander die with the "powder funnel" top in place and my ChargeMaster to meter out the charges.

It may be me, but there are some days when a given powder just will not throw consistent charges and I switch to another. I wish all powder measure had a "cc" scale like the Lee.

When working up loads, I use a Lee PTE die and either the Lee Pro Auto-Disk or just keep the funnel top on it and pour in the charges from my RCBS ChargeMaster. Adjusting the Dillon to a specific charge can be a real hassle when you only want to load 10-20 rounds. I only use the Dillon measure when I know what I want and plan to load a few 1000.

I have used the Hornady powder measure with their powder-through dies quite happily, but it doesn't get me to a specific charge any faster then the Dillon.

• 2 months later...