Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions to Top Shot Producers

Nemo

This will never work for TV. How did it go the last time you tried to explain USPSA scoring to someone new?

Why not? I think some graphics with points accrued in a bar graph format would make it easy enough to understand. The audience doesn't need to know the math behind the points, just who has the most points and how many points are needed to win.

I have no idea how football is scored but I can still see how many points one team has vs another. I can watch Ninja Warrior in Japanese and not even read the subtitles, but know who has the most time left on the clock at the end of a stage. Graphic overlays.

Exactly, the main thing is points per second anyways, that is an easy measure and raw comparison. If you want full scoring then rank the shooters by points per second, and give the top shooter all the points, and the others whatever percentage of the top shooter's points per second.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a timer on the screen during the events.

Go to a style closer to the Biggest Loser: let each shooter compete against all the others, the top scorer gets 10 points, second gets 9, etc.; the bottom two, either aggregate, or event based must then either go to the elimination challenge (preferred from my standpoint) or they must present their case to the rest of the shooters as to why they should stay (most likely; it will maintain the human drama element).

More Shotgun Stages. The amount of shotgun content was pathetic in the first one.

Stop doing EVERYTHING with the Beretta. There are other combat-grade sidearms available, such as the Sig, H&K, Browning, CZ, even Ruger. Of the 20 stages, the Beretta 92 was in 5 of them, plus every elimination range.

More Revolver.

A 1911 stage. No 1911 stage in the first episode floored me.

A Glock stage. Whether you like them or not, they are a big part of the industry.

Long range handgun, ie T/C Encore or XP-100.

1,000 yard Sharps Buffalo.

A .22 challenge. The .22 is the largest market in firearms.

How about actually going into the shooter's background, either in the first episode or after they are eliminated. You would be surprised how many people off this board had NO CLUE that Mike Seeklander was a top level shooter and instructor.

Edited by JamesLovesJammie

Last couple of episodes seemed to hit the right stride. Really love to see a broader range of disciplines. I think they should cut the girly drama and give us shooting drama. I want to see some more heads up competitions. Why they didn't pit the contestants against each other in contests that played to just one discipline. Example

Everyone shoots a steel challenge stage. Points awarded

Everyone shoots an IPSC stage. Points awarded

Everyone shoots a SASS stage. Points awarded

You get the picture, criminy, long range rifle, skeet, clays, bows, knives, sporting clays, Geez. The list is endless. No one gets top billing or an unfair advantage, but everyone gets a shot at there specialty. I would have loved to see some mounted shooting. Didn't they have a mounted champion? Experts set out thier specialty, but co host that episode and show them how it is done. Did anyone see JJ shoot an ipsc stage? After so many shows the contestants with the lowest points are "self" eliminated.

MORE SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!

Several episodes like this to whittle the contestants, then team them up and go head to head exploiting the specialties on each team. One team could be Ipsc, shotgun, long range. The other team could be Mounted shooting, SASS, multigun. Team losing votes member out.

eventually your down to man against man again and then run it like the last couple episodes.

Really upset that I didn't get to see more shooting, inside documentaries on contestants doing their thing. They had JJ "Freakin" Racazza and didn't show case him? Geez what a miserable waste? I'm sure they could have showcased a lot more of the contestants better, I just use JJ as an example. Who wouldn't love to see a montage of JJ doing his thing? Or some shotgun expert, or long range expert? Just poorly planned.

It's like some guys that don't have any kind of shooting experience decided to do a show and it was a work in progress and learning on the fly with each episode getting a little better.

Edited by fourtrax

• 6 months later...

Here's my idea: Celebrity Top Shot.

We know Miculek, Leatham, etc. aren't going to take a month off to do the show. Gather all of the sponsored shooters, cram the whole show into a long weekend, and have them compete for charity. Not just the USPSA shooters, but National champions from all the different sports (Shotgun, Archery, Tomahawks, Blow guns...) I'm sure the sponsors would cover the shooters expenses as long as they were allowed to wear their uniforms. That would be entertaining.

Wouldn't make much of a Show.

Colby- Ok Jerry on the table in front of you is a Smith and Wes....

Jerry- *BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG* flip toss smack *BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG* Places gun back on table.

Colby- ...son.... awwww never mind. I quit.

Jerry- Where ya goin?

Wouldn't make much of a Show.

Colby- Ok Jerry on the table in front of you is a Smith and Wes....

Jerry- *BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG* flip toss smack *BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG* Places gun back on table.

Colby- ...son.... awwww never mind. I quit.

Jerry- Where ya goin?

Hire Jerry or Taran or Todd to be the host. Someone with some personality and a knowledge of firearms.