Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How fast to shoot on the move?

jmorris

Our club tried it using a rolling cart you sit in to "make" people shoot and move faster than they have the skill do to. It got really ugly real quick with people of "average" skill level.

Your moving cover looks like it would work fine.

+1 moving cover is the best option presented. Sounds like it would be high entertainment value watching people trying to stay behind it while shooting. It would be cool if you could make it variable speed. starts slow, speed up then slow...lol.

Do you think you could rig it so it travels downrange instead of laterally? newer shooters seem to do better going forward and back vs side to side.

Edited by Filishooter

I don't know if it would qualify in this situation, but we have had a target on a rolling stand with a pull rope run through pulleys and clipped to the shooter's belt. The target moves out from behind cover and across an opening just as fast as you do. There is another position you must reach so there is an incentive to move along to find the last target.

That idea looks like it will work to me. It seems that with a stationary barricade at the end of the run to make up shots would give everyone a chance at all the targets. My only concern would be as a left handed shooter that the targets would be arranged in such a way that they could be engaged by both right and left handed shooters while moving forward. If they are at too hard an angle a left handed shooter would be forced to walk backwards, of course, the reverse setup would require a right handed shooter to move backwards.

Perhaps... Start behind cover and the first shot triggers the mover which is in front of and provides cover for the shooter. AS the mover goes across the bay there are a number of targets downrange spread in a line at varying distances. You must stay behind the mover/cover on the way across or be exposed to the threat/targets. The target disappears behind cover at the other side of the bay where you may - or may not - be able to pick up the targets that you have moved in front of behind the mover as it crossed. You could put up a wall or two or some non threat targets to block or partially obscure the targets (like leave only a head shot) but that leaves a shot of some sort from behind cover at the end location of the movers movement?

Or is that what you just said... biggrin.gif

I personally don't like the idea for a match. I understand the goal you are trying to achieve but I think the lesson you are trying to teach would be better taught in a training session rather than in a match. As a MD I don't feel the need to try and decide what I think shooters should practice I just want to design stages that makes them utilize the skills they have to their best.

It is like setting a par time in a match. I can shoot a mozambique in less than 2 seconds so I want to push all the shooters to realize it can be done. They have 2 seconds to do it.

I think it would be great in a "Masters" match though.

Perhaps... Start behind cover and the first shot triggers the mover which is in front of and provides cover for the shooter. AS the mover goes across the bay there are a number of targets downrange spread in a line at varying distances. You must stay behind the mover/cover on the way across or be exposed to the threat/targets. The target disappears behind cover at the other side of the bay where you may - or may not - be able to pick up the targets that you have moved in front of behind the mover as it crossed. You could put up a wall or two or some non threat targets to block or partially obscure the targets (like leave only a head shot) but that leaves a shot of some sort from behind cover at the end location of the movers movement?

Or is that what you just said...

That is the idea I'll set it up after the USPSA match today and have some videos after our IDPA match tomorrow.