Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Open Glock Thread

southernshooter

Alright, I realize there are several threads on open glocks but I was looking for some answers for some particular questions. Is anyone using a trijicon RMR style, slide mounted sight? If so, how do they hold up in the long run, being slide mounted? And I have noticed that people are shooting a 9mm for open. Is it easier to make major with a 9 than a 40 for use in open division? I'm wanting to build an open glock, just for fun, and was wondering which caliber and components were recommended.

I run an Open G17 with a Jager comp and Lone Wolf barrel. Just switched from a 4 MOA Burris FastFire to a 7 MOA Docter. Turns out that 3 MOA makes a big difference for me.

The optic is slide mounted using a Springer Precision dovetail mount. Holding up fine. Slide's being shipped to Beven Grams later this year.

See image below of his slide work for Docter optics.

8.1 grains of HS-6 makes major 9 for me under a MG 124gr JHP. This load could destroy things quickly if you don't watch (and know) what you're doing.

Played with Open .40 too for a bit. Very fun. Like the 9 more.

post-1015-020033600 1281288891_thumb.jpg

The dot size preference is subjective, I have 2 G34 open guns one has a melted/bullet proofed Dr 7 min dot the other a Fast Fire II w/4 min dot. I shoot the one w/the 4 min dot. It's bright in the sun and shot placement on long targets is more precise.

I would recommend getting a slide rider that has glass lenses, I find oil and dirt on my lenses after every match and clean w/a Leupold lens pen.

Either 9mm or .40 even .357 sig will hold up with no problem.The only problem that I had shooting open Glock was FTE.If you know how to tune and play with the extractor you should be fine.I've been shooting open G34 9 major (171pf)with no issue after I had the extractor tuned.I shoot Glock in practice and local match.for a big match I would go for 2011.38 super comp. I've found that switching back to 2011 .38 super after play with open Glock 9 major is more comfortable and easy to shoot.

Just my 2c and good luck

Y

I built an Open G17 this year, to see if I wanted to switch to 9mm. I really enjoyed shooting 9mm Open so I ordered a Dawson enhanced Steel Master. My Glock has a C-more STS on it and it has held zero since the day I sighted it in. My son also has a G17 open with a slide mounted JP and his has held zero. He shoots more major loads than I do and his has stayed tight. My shooting buddy shoots a G35 with a Optima slide mounted, and again, his has stayed zeroed. He has been shooting his for about a year and wouldn't change to a S_I platform.

I don't think you would have a problem with any of the micro dot sights as long as you us a quality mount.

Good luck with your build. I enjoyed mine but have moved on to the STI and have mine up on the classifieds. Let me know if you have any questions about the parts I used in mine.

Doug

Hard to tell from the pictures but the Delta Point is milled into the slide and the 7.5 minute triangle is about where the front sight should be. The new toy has a KKM Gunsmith fit barrel with a SJC 11 port comp. for 9mm major. The grip was stippled and has 1.5 pound trigger measured at the tip. This is for my wife to shoot open, she wanted a open Glock. post-16410-056236500 1281653362_thumb.jp

post-16410-085299400 1281653334_thumb.jp

post-16410-032439200 1281653352_thumb.jp

Got some nice looking guns here people. The set up you have there M109R, is similar to what I'm thinking about. I've been looking at that Jager kit for a G17. I actually may be leaning more towards a limited setup instead of the open. I'm looking at the G24 slide and barrel from lone wolf dis. to put on my G22 frame. Only thing is, I'm not sure that would be legal for limited div. since the gun didn't come factory that way. I looked over the rule book and it doesn't specifically say that you can't change the slide, so that leads me to believe that I can. Anyway, thanks for the input and keep it coming.

New to the brian forums but i am loving the info and the pics you all have. those are some very fine looking guns u have there O223 i love the one in the first pic any details u care to share with us as to what all you have done to it. i am looking into building me an open glock but everyone says the sti 2011 frames are the way to go but i love how easy the glock is to work on. thanks guys

If you are looking to sell it, please don't post it here.

We have fairly strict rules about selling on the main forum. (Send me a PM if you have questions)

Lets get this thread back onto the original question.

Thanks,

Forum Administrator

The beauty (for the lack of a better phrase) of the Open Glock is that it doesn't require expensive custom work

performed by others. The key is your optic mount. I am referring to slide mounted Docter type optics. The SJC

frame mount system for a full sized C-More falls into the custom category in my estimation.

For slide mounting there are only two good choices IMO if your shooting major power factors. The ultimate is

Beven Grams work as shown above or Springer Precision dovetail optic mount. Of the dovetail mounts I worked

with Springer really stands out.

Obviously the compensator itself is key. There are many to choose from. Here's what I discovered after

spending a lot of time and money on my Open G17. Turns out it's a compromise. The compensator's with the

most ports reduced felt recoil better (duh) and that might be very important for many. In my particular case the

felt recoil of a 172 PF round is not exactly overwhelming. And it shouldn't be for anyone who can grip the thing

correctly.

My figuring went like this. If I spend $$ on a dot I want to see it. The Jager comp has four large ports

pointing straight up and with correct technique...the dot is right there. Some extra "kick" but very flat.

Add to this good ammo and mags and I hold my own against $3,000.00 blasters. Many of them. wink.gif