Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loads for 230 grain round nose 45acp Extreme bullets

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have any loads for above Xtreme Plated Bullets 230 grain round nose? Currently using Unique & Titegroup for powders. Other suggestions welcomed. Thanks. Bob

The thing to remember if you're using plated bullets is to use lead bullet data. I shoot the Rainer plated 230 gr. RN and follow the data listed in Hodgdon's online manual for a 230 gr. LSWC- 4.4 to 4.8 gr. Titegroup.

Anybody have any loads for above Xtreme Plated Bullets 230 grain round nose? Currently using Unique & Titegroup for powders. Other suggestions welcomed. Thanks. Bob

The thing to remember if you're using plated bullets is to use lead bullet data. I shoot the Rainer plated 230 gr. RN and follow the data listed in Hodgdon's online manual for a 230 gr. LSWC- 4.4 to 4.8 gr. Titegroup.

@ Rico, I am also using rainier 230gr too but I am using power pistol cci lgPp mix brass. @ 6.6, 6.7, 6.8 is this safe starting load I went off of lymans and speers manuals and I am going by TMJ but didn't give the lead issue weight any mind ? I think I might have to pull em ! I see in speers manual 230 gr LRN but no powerpistol charge! What's LRN?

First, IIRCC, Extreme bullets were a low end bullet (I.E. not worth any amount of money, this was back in the day, so they might have changed, but probably not). Second, if you must use them, you can load them using lead data. Lead and plain plated are virtually identical in characteristics when reloading.

@ Rico, I am also using rainier 230gr too but I am using power pistol cci lgPp mix brass. @ 6.6, 6.7, 6.8 is this safe starting load I went off of lymans and speers manuals and I am going by TMJ but didn't give the lead issue weight any mind ? I think I might have to pull em ! I see in speers manual 230 gr LRN but no powerpistol charge! What's LRN?

Marki, I thought you bought a couple of manuals.....LRN = Lead Round Nose.

Alright, here's the scoop. For any plated bullet, find the same weight and profile in a lead bullet, and you can use that load data. But, make sure it is the same weight and profile. Using data for a LRN in a LSWC is not good, as the total OAL of the cartridge may vary quite a bit. While in 45 ACP, it probably won't be a problem (as 45 ACP is a low pressure round to begin with), in other calibers, it can go bad real quick with a minor change in OAL because of the bullet profile.

Now, for the record, you can probably get jacketed bullets at nearly (I said nearly, not exactly) the same prices as plated or lead, and they will perform better at everything you are trying to do (and you won't have to worry about the plateing separating from the core when you shoot, or fowling the barrel).

I swear I did Grump! The problem is I got it locked up in storage along with my press cause I should be a home owner soon! Any hooooo!ok stick with the lead weight when loading plated! I think I gotta find more manuals on lrn & lswc! What is the difference between them two? Sorry if this is another stupid question!

A LRN (Lead Round Nose) is a conical shaped bullet, much like the FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) that you use in WWB ammo. A LSWC (Lead Semi Wad Cutter) is NOT a conical shaped bullet..It's almost like a Trunicated Cone (TC) bullet, except that at the case mouth, when loaded, it has a small "shoulder", making the actual nose part of the bullet smaller in diameter than the base of the bullet (which is inside the brass). The purpose of the LSWC is to punch nice, neat little holes in paper. Ever notice how a FMJ or LRN punches a hole in the paper? It's round, but kind of star shaped, the edges tear as the bullet goes through the paper. With a LSWC, the hole is completely round, like a paper hole punch was used...The nose starts to tear the paper, but the shoulder contacts the paper before the nose can completely tear the paper, and the shoulder punches a nice neat round circle into it.

post-18733-056037200 1282740453_thumb.jp

post-18733-014029900 1282740464_thumb.jp

Thanks Grump,What is that ring around the LRN bullet and what is its purpose? I'm now kinda wishin I never picked these up. Well I got 500 bullets gotta find the right recipe and get the shooting!

Edited by MARKAVELI

Bob,

When I shot 45acp 230gr rn bullets I used Clays (Clays, not International, not universal).

The load for jacketed bullets was 4.0 grains and the load for lead was 3.8 grains. However, to be

safe I'd start .2 less and check for pressure, etc. Clays is a fast burning powder, but in the

large 45acp cases it works very well. These loads are for major in IPSC.

Ron

I used to load a bunch of plated bullets. I really liked the Ranier but the price for those is higher than Precision Delta 230 FMJRN. I use Clays and load 4.6 gr at a length of 1.270. This is listed at a max load but I have no problems with over pressure indications. This chronos at 726 - 770fps out of 3 different 5" 1911's.

Thanks Grump,What is that ring around the LRN bullet and what is its purpose? I'm now kinda wishin I never picked these up. Well I got 500 bullets gotta find the right recipe and get the shooting!

[/quote/]

The "ring" is a wax lube on the bullet. Without the lube (or some other coating like moly, or plating), lead has a tendency to "smear" in the barrel, causing excess leading in a very short time.

Thanks fellas, @ spark what is the problem with clays international,universal? And when u say Clays that's all it would say on the bottle? Have you ever used power pistol? I gotta bunch of It! Thanks in advance...

Marki, there is a powder called "Clays", a powder called "Clays Universal", and a powder called "Clays International"...

Thanks fellas, @ spark what is the problem with clays international,universal? And when u say Clays that's all it would say on the bottle? Have you ever used power pistol? I gotta bunch of It! Thanks in advance...

Marki, there is a powder called "Clays", a powder called "Clays Universal", and a powder called "Clays International"...

I use 4.5grs of WST with 230gr Montana Gold FMJ and JHP's.

• 2 years later...