Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPhone / Droid, Merged

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys will know better on this than I will. In the ACP, there's a section for User Agent Management. Every type of cell phone/device has it's own selection. And next to each is a "red x". If i click the x, it asks me if I'm sure I want to remove this User Agent Permanently?

I'm pretty sure I remember in the old ACP, it wasn't set up like that. I think you could toggle them on or off. So I'm not sure what to do.

From reading the help text:

IP.Board automatically detects what browser a user is using by looking at what is called the "User Agent", and can give users on certain browsers a different skin choice (for example, users using a Blackberry or iPhone are by default shown the lofi skin).

It seems like it's saying that you can turn it off in your device - is your only option.

be

So when a browser connects to a webserver it indicates what kind of web browser it is. Many websites then serve a specific version based on that user agent string. Is there a setting to not push a particular skin and let it default for that particular user agent.

Thanks for being willing to work on this, I appreciate it.

So when a browser connects to a webserver it indicates what kind of web browser it is. Many websites then serve a specific version based on that user agent string. Is there a setting to not push a particular skin and let it default for that particular user agent.

Currently, there isn't. Which is why I'm wondering, from posts in this thread, if each cell phone / device / browser has its own setting to turn that on or off.

be

The only setting I found on the Palm is the JavaScript. Have no idea what that does but, when turned off I was able to login and I can now see and select some user options. The whole thing has a completely different look. Before the upgrade the phone was identical to the screen I see on my computer. Now it is very different and all of the content you see on the right side of the screen, posters and new topics, etc. is gone.

All I have to select from is SIGN ON - MESSENGER - MEMBERS - NEW CONTENT - STATUS UPDATE.

That's what I'm asking, where in the settings? I can't find anything close. You have a real Droid right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "real Droid". Do you mean a Motorola Droid 1 ? There are dozens and dozens of different "Droids" out there now, so its tough to say which droid is the "real" droid. I'm running Android 2.1 on a HTC Droid Eris, so it should be the same as the Motorola Droid.

Just look in the menu. Goto MENU, the MORE, then SETTINGS. You should have options for SET HOME PAGE, BLOCK POP-UP WINDOWS, MOBILE VIEW, ENABLE JAVA SCRIPT, DEFAULT ZOOM LEVEL, and more .....

Currently, there isn't. Which is why I'm wondering, from posts in this thread, if each cell phone / device / browser has its own setting to turn that on or off.

be

Not an IP board guy but I was doing a bit of googling and found this:

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/tutorials/advanced-customisations/locking-skins-to-browsers-or-search-engines-r163

It talks about how to control what skin different browsers get. Maybe that could help?

That's what I'm asking, where in the settings? I can't find anything close. You have a real Droid right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "real Droid". Do you mean a Motorola Droid 1 ? There are dozens and dozens of different "Droids" out there now, so its tough to say which droid is the "real" droid. I'm running Android 2.1 on a HTC Droid Eris, so it should be the same as the Motorola Droid.

Just look in the menu. Goto MENU, the MORE, then SETTINGS. You should have options for SET HOME PAGE, BLOCK POP-UP WINDOWS, MOBILE VIEW, ENABLE JAVA SCRIPT, DEFAULT ZOOM LEVEL, and more .....

Real Droid... Motorola Droid 1. I guess I should have clarified that as yes, there are a bunch of "Droid" phones out that really aren't true Droids. Real Droids are made by Motorola. :P The HTC's that I've played with are pretty nice phones and they do run Android but there are differences. Enough that if you go from a Motorola Droid to a HTC you'll struggle finding your way around it for a bit, at least in my experiences.

I've been through the MENU, SETTINGS of the browser numerous times today and cannot find anything for MOBILE VIEW. Oh well, off to the Droid forums to see what I can find later.

This is like the STI vs. SV or the Chevy vs. Ford debate. :D I had a Motorola Droid, and I could not stand it. The HTC Eris was much easier to use, but alas I digress ....

The menu structure should be the same for both phones, as the only differences would be the OS (Android 2.1 or 2.2) and the type of browser you are using. I'm on the stock Android browser. I have 27 different options in the settings menu.

Which browser are you using?

Stock Android 2.1 update 1 browser. 25 options in the settings menu, not one about mobile appearance that I can find unless it's buried in one of the other settings I haven't found it yet. Is it right in the MENU, SETTINGS or do you have to go into a sub-setting to find it?

This is like the STI vs. SV or the Chevy vs. Ford debate. :D I had a Motorola Droid, and I could not stand it. The HTC Eris was much easier to use, but alas I digress ....

The menu structure should be the same for both phones, as the only differences would be the OS (Android 2.1 or 2.2) and the type of browser you are using. I'm on the stock Android browser. I have 27 different options in the settings menu.

Which browser are you using?

+1 I miss my touch pro II, crackberry sux!

be

According to Charles who's some sort of manager over at IPS there should be a setting to shut the mobile version off... Clicky...

Edit to add: When I view their forum from my phone there's a link right on the bottom of the page to change it to the full version. When I clicked it everything went back to "normal" and it looks just like it does on my desktop with full functionality.

Now to get that here. :cheers:

Edited by SLM

I'm still having the "bland" forum look on my iPhone with no user cp links, messages and so on. I have cleared settings, history, etc...

Edit to add:

The IPB app for the iPhone is no better.

Edited by islandtime

Maybe Brian can get in touch with IPS and see what's up. When I first went to their forums to check the thread I linked on my phone it looked like this one does to me, just a list of the forums and nothing else. At the bottom of the page was a link for something like "Full Version" or the like. I clicked that there and everything showed up. I don't have that link here and according to IPS it should be on the bottom of the page.

Brian, I have a freind running a site that uses IPB. This site (http://otesurf.com/forum) loads the regular version on my phone. I noticed at the botton of the page on his site that you can select "Lo-Fi Version". I read on the IPB cominity forum that you should be able to choose between regular and Lo-Fi on any IPB forum.

I know you're busy with the rest of the upgrade so I'll be glad to lend a hand and cover this area and try to find an answer.

Thanks for all your work!

Jason

SLM, I am having the same problem as you are when viewing the forum on a Motorola Droid (the original one) with the included browser. I get a little better functionality when I disable JavaScript, but the site still looks like the mobile version. I went to the link that you provided and clicked on the "Full Version" link at the bottom of the page and the IPS website corrected itself and looks just the same as viewing it from my computer.