Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPhone / Droid, Merged

Brian, et al:

Have you done any research to add a mobile friendly verions of the forum? Personally, I think you should write a BE iPHone app that gives us easy access while on-the-go. Using the standard iphone web browser works, but is clumbsy, and requires lots of zooming and panning.

As an alternative, have you looked into supporting iPhone forum reading apps, like this one: http://www.messageforums.net/iphoneforumreader.php ?

Thanks,

Jeff

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I surf the forums from my IPod touch all the time. The biggest issue I have is that I cannot set a zoom level that persists from page to page so I have to adjust it every time I change pages.

-ld

I agree, I can surf the forum OK. However, i do find it less than optimal. I think that 'mobile' versions of web pages, and even optimized custom apps offer a better experinece.

For example, try surfing ebay.com.... then try the ebay app. The App is a much better and faster experinece.

I'm not a software guy, but it seems that the TouchBB app might not be too hard to support here...

check out the link above.

How do I get started?

There are two ways to enjoy TouchBB. You can create a forum on this service, or download our add-on script for your own phpBB2, phpBB3 or vBulletin forum!

We're on InvisionPower software.

be

Anything at this google search result look like a possibility?

This one maybe:

Forums Lite for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Mar 28, 2010 ... Post/reply added to supported IPB forums - Bug fixes and interface improvements - A great new icon - Read-only SMF forum support ...

This one maybe:

Forums Lite for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Mar 28, 2010 ... Post/reply added to supported IPB forums - Bug fixes and interface improvements - A great new icon - Read-only SMF forum support ...

Unfortunately not. It only supports IP Board v.2 (we're on v.3). But they'll probably get that updated soon.

Also, do these types of apps only or typically work with specific phones? I'm guessing they do. Like this particualar one will only work with an iPhone.

be

The apps for iPhone will typically only work for Apple products, they may have the an app of the same name for other platforms but the code inside will be different. The OS for the Apple mobile platforms is unique to Apple.

Another option is to code up a 'skin' for those using an iPhone or other mobile device. There are some out there for IPB V3 that we are running. Not sure of the cost but it may be an easier option. Basically when using the site from away from a PC you would just select a different 'skin' to improve the layout for smaller screens.

If you're writing apps, don't forget us Android users! ;)

+1

Although I find it very easy to view using Dolphin browser from the market.

Edited by Heckler

Sure it's easy on the eyes, but like Jeff said in the OP it requires lots of zooming and panning. I have no problems setting a nice constant zoom level, but in order to read it on a 3.2" screen I still have to zoom in far enough to only see the left or right half of the screen at one time.

If you're writing apps, don't forget us Android users! ;)

what's an android?

:sight:

Android is for grown-ups. When you graduate from your kiddie Apple stuff you'll learn that. Now it's your nap time. We'll wake you when the milk and cookies get here. :devil:

:P

I can't get it to work. It recognises the forum and shows a list of all the subforums. But when I select one, it says 'LOADING...' but does not actually load anything. I tried clicking the MESSAGES icon and it offered me a screen to sign in but it would not recognise my username/password.

I can't get it to work. It recognises the forum and shows a list of all the subforums. But when I select one, it says 'LOADING...' but does not actually load anything. I tried clicking the MESSAGES icon and it offered me a screen to sign in but it would not recognise my username/password.

If you can't get it to work - that doesn't sound good.

At a buck/99 for the app - does that come with tech support?!

:)

I'm wondering if the APP is expecting the web-page to be in lo-fi/IPBOARD.Mobile setting.

Is there a way for me to select that option on the board ? I seem to recall it was switched off when the upgrade happened.

I'm pretty sure there's only an Admin only, board-wide setting for it.

I remember turning it off because of some sort of problem. But I can't remember what the problem was. So let's see if we can dig up that thread before turning it back on.

be

I'm having trouble finding it. The only relating thread I found is:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99506

In the ACP, in help for User Agent Management, is:

IP.Board automatically detects what browser a user is using by looking at what is called the "User Agent", and can give users on certain browsers a different skin choice (for example, users using a Blackberry or iPhone are by default shown the lofi skin).

In Manage User Agents, all the phones and browsers are listed, but when you click to edit one there really isn't much you can do.

And, in that section, that doesn't feel like where I changed/did whatever it was I did before.

I'm pretty sure it was Jim Thompson who clued me in on whatever needed done at the time... Maybe he'll see this. Or I'll PM him.

be