Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My best friend Oreo...

GrumpyOne

Over the last weekend, I had noticed that the old boy (he was 15) just wasn't feeling quite right, so I take him to the vet. Now, he had been fine up until then....The vet tells me that he has Acute Renal failure, and that it may be just a bacterial infection called Lepto Spirosus and that there is a 50/50 chance he'll pull through. So, they treat him with antibiotics, give him an IV, and Saturday, he's almost like his old self! Yeah! They keep him for Sunday, to make sure, and give him some more IV and meds. So, I'm on my way to Atlanta this morning, 350 miles from home, when I get a call from the vet telling me that it isn't Lepto, and that there isn't anything else they can do, other than dog dialysis, which they aren't set up for and would only postpone the inevitable for a week or two at any rate, so I have to tell them over the phone to put him down, cause he wasn't gonna make it till I got back. Damnit! He never bit anyone, never nipped anyone, was the kindest, gentlest dog I have ever seen, and all he wanted to do was lay in the sun. I will miss him terribly.

Over the last weekend, I had noticed that the old boy (he was 15) just wasn't feeling quite right, so I take him to the vet. Now, he had been fine up until then....The vet tells me that he has Acute Renal failure, and that it may be just a bacterial infection called Lepto Spirosus and that there is a 50/50 chance he'll pull through. So, they treat him with antibiotics, give him an IV, and Saturday, he's almost like his old self! Yeah! They keep him for Sunday, to make sure, and give him some more IV and meds. So, I'm on my way to Atlanta this morning, 350 miles from home, when I get a call from the vet telling me that it isn't Lepto, and that there isn't anything else they can do, other than dog dialysis, which they aren't set up for and would only postpone the inevitable for a week or two at any rate, so I have to tell them over the phone to put him down, cause he wasn't gonna make it till I got back. Damnit! He never bit anyone, never nipped anyone, was the kindest, gentlest dog I have ever seen, and all he wanted to do was lay in the sun. I will miss him terribly.

I'm so sorry.... :(

He was a pound puppy, so he definitely got the better end of the deal. Sad part is, I have another dog, who is only a year younger than he was (she was got as a companion dog for him), so I may be going through this again soon. She's already been moping around, looking for him (so my wife tells me). And, a 17 year old cat.... :unsure:

Thanks, everyone, for your condolences...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go

where they went."

Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Dogs are so wonderful, it's hard to believe that these friends that want nothing more than to please were derived from a wild beast. I'm sorry for your loss I lost my best friend Wally April 1st and their has been a big hole in my heart since then. Last night I drove a 300 miles to pick up a 9 week old Goldendoodle pup, Wally will always reside in my heart but this little guy won't let me be preoccupied. 15 years is a respectful lifespan it just sucks when your not their to comfort a loved one as they pass, take solace in the fact that you did everything you could.

Tim

I'm really sad to hear that you lost one of your best friends Andy. It is amazing how our pets are more truly family members.

I've lost many dogs so I know how you feel. The good news is that we have had so many good times with our four legged friends. Remember the fun that you both had together.

Take care.