Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor vs. Major

Nik Habicht

Why does it matter?   Probably doesn't to some, but have you ever tried explaining the B vs. C zone scoring logic, or lack thereof, to a new shooter?  This being usually the same new shooter who is already confused as can be by the complexity of calculating a hit factor, and then converting the hit factor into stage points.  Sorry to thread drift, but the question was asked.  I'm done.  

I believe the reason Production scores Minor is that USPSA Production division was a response to the popularity of IDPA, so rules were set up to mimick IDPA, i.e. as long as you make the power factor for your division, all hits on target score the same. Production was intended to be the division that new USPSA shooters could come into, and compete regardless of the caliber/PF of their gun. "Bring your defense gun on in, the water's fine!" Obviously many such people will be firing Nines. Then you want to tell them, "Oh by the way, your Nine scores Minor which means all the guys firing .40s and .45s in Production are going to kick your butt." Kind of cuts down on the number of people willing to shoot their 9mm carry guns in USPSA Production division, what?

The obvious answer was to score everything Minor regardless of power factor. If they'd decided to score everything MAJOR regardless of power factor, well, then Production would be one popular class, wouldn't it? The only class in which you could fire a 9mm and score as high as Major PF .45 or .38 Super....sign me up, dude!

I do understand, and agree with, the concept that there are five different divisions, and they only compete against each other. Some people don't get it. I don't really need "High Overall" - although if such should come my way you won't hear me complaining - "High Limited-10" will do me just fine, thank you very much. Besides, a .45 single-stack is just a FUN gun to shoot. j1b and TGO apparently agree with that BTW. I like the feeling of history and tradition that comes from firing, even today, the gun on which our sport was built. The amount of practice this allows me to get in on my daily carry gun is also a major plus.

Greetings,

I have never quite understood why a shooter would have a complaint about major/minor scoring and the people that I know and shoot with thru the years never even discuss it.  It's not an issue.  Period.

If a person takes their shooting/competition seriously you have to ask yourself this question.  If I am going to compete at a certain level and expect certain results, what are the equipment requirements for me to do this?

Rules are rules.  Acceptance.

Latter

PS:  If you knowingly take a knife to a gun fight and lose, what right do you have to complain?

(my spelling is bad tonight, hence the edits)

(Edited by Jack T at 8:43 pm on Feb. 5, 2002)

(Edited by Jack T at 8:49 pm on Feb. 5, 2002)

Duane you wrote:

The obvious answer was to score everything Minor regardless of power factor. If they'd decided to score everything MAJOR regardless of power factor, well, then Production would be one popular class, wouldn't it? The only class in which you could fire a 9mm and score as high as Major PF .45 or .38 Super....sign me up, dude!

So you beleive lots of shooters would shoot production if 9mm was scored as major? Is this a good or bad thing?

I do beleive major scoring for production would increase its popularity. Now here is a question I pose: Whether you agree with this concept or not, why would scoring production as major increase the popularity of production class? Also what is the downside of major scoring for production?

Keith

(Edited by midvalleyshooter at 12:48 am on Feb. 6, 2002)

• 1 month later...

ok, what is the point here.... seems no one knows.

is there any complaint.. i haven't seen any, just bitching for something to talk about?

as letham said when he was approached as to why he didn't shoot a springfield 9mm... " my times would be the same, but i would have fewer points down"  that is the WHOLE point of major power factor. it is a measure of SKILL to shoot a more powerful gun, shouldn't we reward those with SKILL, if not, lets start giving prizes to the LAST in class instead of first.

as for major in production, there isn't all that much need for it, production is a small class, and is meant to be kept "economical" and compete against its self, NOT limited, L10 , or open. .... so they shoot 40 in production, should we reward that, maybe. but then what will be the point raises bullet/ammo cost, and again eliminates the reason it was made minor only. to give those "wonder 9's" a place to shoot competitively.

• 17 years later...

Hi,

As I am a 1500 match shooter but recently also started shooting IPSC, I saw that in the group of people I shoot in the problem is the following: We only have major shooters with SPS or STI guns. And I doubt if it are legal loads as one of the rulings says that the maximum loading guide lvls may not be exceeded. So 9mm can't reach major in my country. My question is: Why don't they make in every class a seperate point count for major and minor? Problem solved about who is maybe in the advantage. You want to shoot open division? ok Major or Minor? Minor ok you only compete against minor shooters in open then. Just an idea. 

Greetings

Andy from a way to small country as Belgium

Man that seems like another lifetime ago.  Back then I had to little ones under 2, now we’re about to become empty Nestor’s. I was still years away from even thinking about shooting a gun. Lol

The scoring system applies to every shooter the same. It is fair and understandable. That is all I care about. We have a ton of local clubs. All have 70-100+ shooters each month with waiting lists. We don't need new shooters. I am sick of them. People who want to complain about the scoring system should stay home. I don't even want to meet them much less shoot with them. The sport is better off without them. 

2 hours ago, lawboy said:

People who want to complain about the scoring system should stay home. I don't even want to meet them much less shoot with them. The sport is better off without them. 

Love it or leave it - I believe that was the British motto in 1785 .     🇬🇧

16 hours ago, lawboy said:

The scoring system applies to every shooter the same. It is fair and understandable. That is all I care about. We have a ton of local clubs. All have 70-100+ shooters each month with waiting lists. We don't need new shooters. I am sick of them. People who want to complain about the scoring system should stay home. I don't even want to meet them much less shoot with them. The sport is better off without them. 

I know where you are coming from.  I blame john wick.

16 hours ago, lawboy said:

So how do you really feel. Lol

53 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

So how do you really feel. Lol

Not trying to be a jerk but, it just seems like people are complaining for no good reason. We shoot against those in our equipment division. If you want to compare across divisions for whatever reason, fine. I do it and have for 12 years. But I don't think the game needs to change its scoring system to facilitate that. There is plenty of value in cross division comparison without changing the scoring system.