Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do about know it alls?

Adam P.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't shot for a couple of months due to some surgery I had at the end of May. Today I went to a local club match to have a little fun. There were 10 guys in my squad and all was going well until we started shooting. This guy wasn't even a S.O., but after everyone shot, he was quick to yell out mistakes and procedural violations even though the S.O. already knew what the violations were. To top it off, he is a classified as a MM and spends more money on tacticool clothing and real nice guns that he can't shoot very well. A couple of the other shooters actually told him to shut up, but he seemed to get worse. Anyone else have guys like this and what do you do to deal with them?

Thanks

I have given up on the sport for a while due to people like this. I can get enough aggravation on a daily basis so I don't look for it on weekends.

I will go back soon, but with a new attitude of let me shoot and STFU :angry:

I call them "Sexual Interlectuals" (f**king know it alls). They are everywhere and in every walk of life.

Initially I ignore them, if they continue they are told to STFU, after that to p*$$ off and stop annoying us and disrupting us.

Well I told my buddies about all of these suggestions and I think we'll have it covered come next match. Hopefully we won't have any more issues with the guy, but it will be a bad day for him we do...lol

• 3 weeks later...

We have a shooter like this in my club. He IS an S.O. but he likes to yell stuff out while others are shooting and he IS NOT the S.O. on that particular bay/stage.

Before you start a stage, ask the SO if you can stop if you receive interference from the crowd. Most will say yes if someone from the crowd that is yelling at shooters.

I think the description in the original post indicates poor sportsmanship - this is something the MD can address. A participant can be DQ'd for poor sportsmanship. I would hope it would not come to that and a little 'coaching' from the MD (or an SO) would solve the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update...

I shot another match yesterday morning and to my surprise, Mr. know it all wasn't there. When I asked the match director about this guy, he stated that he received complaints from just about everyone in my squad that day after the match, so they asked him not to return. :D Every shooter there yesterday seemed to be in a much better mood and so much nicer to shoot without the heckling... :roflol:

Just an update...

I shot another match yesterday morning and to my surprise, Mr. know it all wasn't there. When I asked the match director about this guy, he stated that he received complaints from just about everyone in my squad that day after the match, so they asked him not to return. :D Every shooter there yesterday seemed to be in a much better mood and so much nicer to shoot without the heckling... :roflol:

Awwww...... :cheers:

2 thumbs up :bow:

• 1 month later...

I'm getting pretty fed up with a similar situation. Truth be told, I only shoot IDPA because it gives me more trigger time. I do my absolute best to follow the rules, but if I commit a procedural I don't sweat it too much. I'm not there to win, just to try to push myself to shoot better. When the scores come out all I really care about is how my raw time and points down compares to the best shooters.

With that said, last night I had a royal brain fart and shot the first target of an array freestyle instead of strong hand only as per the stage description. After that I don't remember exactly what I did, except curse myself out loud and switch to my strong hand to finish the stage. I knew I got the one procedural, but as I was reloading magazines I could hear another competitor asking the SO to give me a 2nd procedural that he thought the SO missed. He then ran around to other people asking if they saw what he saw, saying, "Hey, I have to beat him somehow!" Meaning, his chance to beat me was via arguing for procedurals when he wasn't the SO. I've never had a blow up at a match, and never argued with anyone (this guy has had outright shouting matches with SO's before), but I just don't think a club match is the place to behave like that. It's not going to help my evening to get my blood boiling, and it doesn't give a good impression to the newer shooters.

So the SO gave me the 2nd procedural (that he admitted he didn't notice), and I walked over to the other bay to join some friends on the other squad. I was just trying to cool off and get away from the tattle tale. Not five minutes later the tattle-tale came over and said, "What are you doing, trying to see how to run the stage over here? You're such a gamer!" I just turned around and walked away.

I find people like this to be a major turn off to certain shooting sports. We all ought to follow the rules because they're what makes each sport different and fun and challenging. However, when someone who isn't even acting as the SO for a shooter is trying to "game" the rules to his advantage then the game is no longer fun. But I guess for some people, winning is more important than their dignity. lol. What a shame.

Edited by beltjones

I have to admit that I have once pointed out to an SO something that a shooter did that was wrong and should get at least a PE. What the shooter did was purposefully lean so far out that when he shot two shots on one target he had pass-throughs to hit another target. Two shots and four holes. This let him reload at a more advantageous place and he only had to shoot 12 rounds instead of the required 14. That is just flat out cheating. Personally, I believe the guy should have gotten an FTDR instead of just the PE that was given to him but I didn't press the subject as I thought I made my point.

I have, when watching someone shoot a stage, said to a friend standing next to me something like, "Ooooh, that was a preceedural." but I've never gone up to the SO and tell him about it or yell it out for everyone to hear.

Edited by jualdeaux

I prefer that the gallery stay quiet when I or another person is shooting. Most folks use electronic muffs these days and you can't help but hear the comments. It is distracting and the wannabe range nazis should be told to be quiet. When I SO, I always cover this issue before we start. First and foremost I ask that everyone please help out, reset targets and paste of course, then I ask folks to please show respect for each other and be quiet when someone is going through the course.

Oh before I forget jualdeaux, I bet it was Kirk that leaned out wasn't it! LOL!

I have to admit that I have once pointed out to an SO something that a shooter did that was wrong and should get at least a PE. What the shooter did was purposefully lean so far out that when he shot two shots on one target he had pass-throughs to hit another target. Two shots and four holes. This let him reload at a more advantageous place and he only had to shoot 12 rounds instead of the required 14. That is just flat out cheating. Personally, I believe the guy should have gotten an FTDR instead of just the PE that was given to him but I didn't press the subject as I thought I made my point.

I have, when watching someone shoot a stage, said to a friend standing next to me something like, "Ooooh, that was a preceedural." but I've never gone up to the SO and tell him about it or yell it out for everyone to hear.

I think if someone is blatantly cheating then it should be brought to the SO's attention. I don't really have a problem with that. I would also never have a problem with someone in the gallery pointing out a safety issue. Safety requires everyone's diligence.

However, when it comes to things like reloads, rounds in a magazine, round dumping, use of cover, etc, I say just let the SO do his job. As a shooter I never argue with an SO (well, I might at a major match if I knew he was wrong, but club matches are for PRACTICE so who cares?), and I would never come out of the gallery to list all the things I thought a shooter did wrong.

I mean, there are times that I would like to, like when certain shooters have clearly loaded the world's weakest ammunition that could never make power factor. But I figure if it doesn't get called, it's not my place as a fellow shooter to call it.

Oh, and the punchline to the story above was that I finished 2nd overall at the match behind the guy who lobbied for my 2nd procedural. And even with the extra 3 second penalty I lost by less than a second.

When I see something that the SO missed(as a spectator), I talk to the SO about it afterward. Not to asses a penalty after the fact but as a teaching point. SO/RO education never stops. The behavior I've read about in this thread would warrant a pretty one sided conversation between me and the offending party.

I prefer that the gallery stay quiet when I or another person is shooting. Most folks use electronic muffs these days and you can't help but hear the comments. It is distracting and the wannabe range nazis should be told to be quiet. When I SO, I always cover this issue before we start. First and foremost I ask that everyone please help out, reset targets and paste of course, then I ask folks to please show respect for each other and be quiet when someone is going through the course.

Oh before I forget jualdeaux, I bet it was Kirk that leaned out wasn't it! LOL!

Nope. Kirk wouldn't do such a thing. It was at a club he doesn't shoot at.

I beleive I was there when you did that if you are refering to CCFSA local match. Either that or we just happen to have a similar incident in common...lol. It was a slick move on the part of the shooter and he would have gotten away with it because the SO didn't catch it until after you spoke up.

When I see something that the SO missed(as a spectator), I talk to the SO about it afterward. Not to asses a penalty after the fact but as a teaching point. SO/RO education never stops. The behavior I've read about in this thread would warrant a pretty one sided conversation between me and the offending party.

Well put Gary

Edited by John Z Sr

wannabe range nazis

Wow. My post got deleted for using that term. Just a heads up...I don't think the moderators like that term.

You remind me of one of those guys who points out what the SO missed. LOL!!! J/K LOL! :roflol:

wannabe range nazis

Wow. My post got deleted for using that term. Just a heads up...I don't think the moderators like that term.

You remind me of one of those guys who points out what the SO missed. LOL!!! J/K LOL! :roflol:

Now that is funny. :D