Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate

mhop

So I am gonna dig this one up a bit. How many rounds do people get in the Czechmate/TS 9mm mags? In the limited configuration, it seems like it might make a decent 3 gun pistol, assuming they have enough bullets. They are listed as 26 for the big stick and 20 for the 140s on the CZ website, but I assume people have figured out how to get more than that...

Is there any way to switch the front sight to a FO if you wanted, or is it permanently attached to the barrel lug?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Is there any way to get a FO front that you know of? Or would that require some custom machining and ingenuity?

the front sight is the same as a p09. I have pictures of mine in the tac sport showoff thread. I did the same as you are wanting, running it in 3 gun.

also, I didn't bother with mag springs and followers. stock springs and followers got me to 23 reloadable

Edited by jon49erfan

• 1 year later...

Is there a likely hood that this could be made one of our members? It can be mounted at the two forward holes or the two rearward scope mount holes. I have drawings and a 3D model that can be transmitted electronically.
http://s393.photobucket.com/user/ThomasDesigns_bucket/media/Blasters/THUM_REST01.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s393.photobucket.com/user/ThomasDesigns_bucket/media/Blasters/THUM_REST02.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I've added links to the Thumbrest images because Opera does not like the "Add Image" icon.

Greg T

• 140 MM - 23 Rounds w/out CZC Follower (24 w/CZC Follower) Note:This is after mage springs are relatively packed out.
  • 170 MM - 26 Rounds with stock follower and basepad. Won't run reliably over 24 rounds, period.
  • 170 MM - 29 rounds with CZC basepad, spring and follower, in addition to the mag fix described below. And it RUNS.

Note:

At an OAL over 1.125 the Big Stick won't reliably cycle anything over 24 rounds. Factory is supposed to hold 26. However, the top of the mag tube does not have enough indentation to correctly stack and support the cases vertically for reliable feeding. So above 24 rounds, the rounds nose dive into feed ramp and jam.

As any Czechmate owner can tell you, you are already at a disadvantage with the limit on 9mm OAL to about 1.170 (absolute max). Loading 9mm major requires a fair amount of leeway in seating depth to avoid overpressure. I have a great load worked up that works well at both 1.150-1.160 OAL's. Running a stupid short OAL (for 9 major anyway) was NOT a solution for reliable big stick feeding.

Myself and another Czechmate owner (a good friend and GM, Grant Brashears) discovered the stacking issue pretty quickly, even though CZ told us to just run a shorter bullet. At this point, after some experimenting, we ended up using some thin aluminum strips, slightly bent to match the angle of the mag indentation and using epoxy to adhere them on the inside of the big stick. This narrows the top inch of the mag slightly, allowing the bullets to stack and support each other correctly. Full credit to Grant Brashears for all the trial and error to figure this out!

After doing that, you can successfully load 29 rounds of 9mm Major at 1.160 OAL (plus 1) in the Czechmate big stick, and it will run just as well as the 140mm mags.

I'll find some time to do a full post on this mag fix, as the short OAL solution CZ recommends is just dumb. It's not worth their time to fix this, when they create a VERY small number of those big sticks every year (compared to every other pistol they sell).

You could do that or tune the feed area of the tubes to do the same thing. I just sent all mine to Bevin grams.

Very true, but I was reluctant to apply the kind of pressure (and possibly heating the tube up) it would take to increase that indentation (as these are $150). That's all that would be required, but it wasn't worth potentially distorting the other dimensions of the magazine. I initially had squeezed the feed lips tighter when I first got the mag (the top bullet looked like a dog's nose sniffing for a treat when fully loaded) but the distance that needs to be covered to get the top bullets in line as they approach the feed lips via the side indents would require a pretty substantial alteration. Our solution may not have been the obvious one, but it works very well and I didn't have to send it off and pay for someone else to tinker with it. Insisting on fixing things myself is a personal problem though, more power to you if you want to send it to someone competent to fix for you :)

• 140 MM - 23 Rounds w/out CZC Follower (24 w/CZC Follower) Note:This is after mage springs are relatively packed out.
  • 170 MM - 26 Rounds with stock follower and basepad. Won't run reliably over 24 rounds, period.
  • 170 MM - 29 rounds with CZC basepad, spring and follower, in addition to the mag fix described below. And it RUNS.

Note:

At an OAL over 1.125 the Big Stick won't reliably cycle anything over 24 rounds. Factory is supposed to hold 26. However, the top of the mag tube does not have enough indentation to correctly stack and support the cases vertically for reliable feeding. So above 24 rounds, the rounds nose dive into feed ramp and jam.

As any Czechmate owner can tell you, you are already at a disadvantage with the limit on 9mm OAL to about 1.170 (absolute max). Loading 9mm major requires a fair amount of leeway in seating depth to avoid overpressure. I have a great load worked up that works well at both 1.150-1.160 OAL's. Running a stupid short OAL (for 9 major anyway) was NOT a solution for reliable big stick feeding.

Myself and another Czechmate owner (a good friend and GM, Grant Brashears) discovered the stacking issue pretty quickly, even though CZ told us to just run a shorter bullet. At this point, after some experimenting, we ended up using some thin aluminum strips, slightly bent to match the angle of the mag indentation and using epoxy to adhere them on the inside of the big stick. This narrows the top inch of the mag slightly, allowing the bullets to stack and support each other correctly. Full credit to Grant Brashears for all the trial and error to figure this out!

After doing that, you can successfully load 29 rounds of 9mm Major at 1.160 OAL (plus 1) in the Czechmate big stick, and it will run just as well as the 140mm mags.

I'll find some time to do a full post on this mag fix, as the short OAL solution CZ recommends is just dumb. It's not worth their time to fix this, when they create a VERY small number of those big sticks every year (compared to every other pistol they sell).

I have this same problem and cannot get the Big Sticks to run. I'd love to see some pictures of the modification you have done.

Even the 140mm mags with CZ internals are only reliable holding 20 rounds. I think after 20, that the spring catches on the sides under the control ribs.

Note:

I have this same problem and cannot get the Big Sticks to run. I'd love to see some pictures of the modification you have done.

Even the 140mm mags with CZ internals are only reliable holding 20 rounds. I think after 20, that the spring catches on the sides under the control ribs.

I'll try to get some more details up soon

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had issues with mine as well. The rounds were nose diving into the ramp but below the actual ramped portion. I ended up lowering the ramp to meet the top of the magazine. I started with a bevel across the bottom edge of the stock ramp with the intention of working it up until it fed. First bevel fixed things and I stopped. As a result, I ended up with a feed ramp with two angles on it. I also run round nose bullets.

The spare barrel is on the right, currently functioning (even if it would probably make an actual gunsmith cringe) barrel on the left.

post-59794-0-18496700-1461026563_thumb.j

Edited by busdriver02

• 2 weeks later...

Level set. I'm completely new to Open, no prospects, and don't reload (and you can't talk me into it). My question is this: if I were to use factory ammo (135-140 PF with my current preferences) how would I configure the gun for Open? Compensator on or off? Recoil spring weight? This just has to run reliably - I'm in no danger of winning anything. Ever. Also, is there any factory ammo that you would you recommend?

Level set. I'm completely new to Open, no prospects, and don't reload (and you can't talk me into it). My question is this: if I were to use factory ammo (135-140 PF with my current preferences) how would I configure the gun for Open? Compensator on or off? Recoil spring weight? This just has to run reliably - I'm in no danger of winning anything. Ever. Also, is there any factory ammo that you would you recommend?

My experience was that you could run factory ammo just fine. It didn't require a lighter recoil spring but you can certainly try one for a few dollars to see if you like it. I'd still run with the comp on it, just for the weight, even if your ammo doesn't have enough gas to get the ports working for you. (FWIW my experience with Cheely 90 degree mount)

I recently picked up my czechmate, and have been able to run 124fmj and 115fmj factory through it set up for open with no spring change.

I also run my 124tmj 9mm handload I use in most of my 9mm pistols at about 1250fps.

Loaded some 9mm major loads with hs6 and 124xtps, and runs fine all around the board.

For a few bucks, can't hurt to get recoil spring calibration pack. I have other springs but haven't tried them yet.

However, changing the springs can change the recoil impulse and how it feels for you. Although I'm able to run

my Czechmate stock sprung, I might be able to recover for a follow up quicker with a spring change. It might get

my dot back quicker, or keep it from bouncing as much.

Note:

Any update on this by chance? I am having the nose dive issues with my czechmate.

Note:

Any update on this by chance? I am having the nose dive issues with my czechmate.

I am having the nose diving issues as well. Cost me three stages at a recent match. I spoke with Beven Grams at Grams Engineering. He currently has my 170mm mags. He is going to install his springs and followers and tune my magazines. Beven said they will be 100% when he is done, with the ability to load 29 rounds with the CZ Custom base pads. I'll report back after is get them back. By the way, Beven is a great guy to talk with and will spend any amount of time on the phone trying to find a solution to you mag related problems.