Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Fiber Optic for SDM - .060"

RevolverJockey

Anyone know where you can get another color besides red or green for a SDM front sight? It is .060" by my caliper. I would like orange maybe yellow. For anyone who has replaced one of these, the holes are not drilled all the way though and it appears it is mildly staked on the front to hold it in place and melted of the serrated face you can see to give a nice round dot. This is the .125" model if that matters at all.

I have never had a fiber come out before and it got me thinking it wouldn't be bad to try something more robust. Is there a poll anywhere that shows the sight preferences i.e. gold bead, black fiber etc? I tried searching, but couldn't find one. I have the base that makes swapping front sights pretty easy and could try a few different things. Thanks as always.

Lee

Anyone know where you can get another color besides red or green for a SDM front sight? It is .060" by my caliper. I would like orange maybe yellow. For anyone who has replaced one of these, the holes are not drilled all the way though and it appears it is mildly staked on the front to hold it in place and melted of the serrated face you can see to give a nice round dot. This is the .125" model if that matters at all.

I have never had a fiber come out before and it got me thinking it wouldn't be bad to try something more robust. Is there a poll anywhere that shows the sight preferences i.e. gold bead, black fiber etc? I tried searching, but couldn't find one. I have the base that makes swapping front sights pretty easy and could try a few different things. Thanks as always.

Lee

Before I decided fiber optic sights were not for me, I had the same situation. I drilled out the sight and replaced the offending piece. I bought about 100' of misc colored FO from a web site that popped up on a google search. Surprised by how cheap the stuf was. No idea what I did with the remaining 99.9 feet I had left.

Edited to correct speling and math.

Edited by slflr

I could be wrong, and believe me today that is a high possibility, because I am turning computer stupid all of a sudden, but it seems like the Weigand plain black sight that fits their base increases the sight radius as well. Might not be, but it seems like it. Is there someone out there is not challenged that can provide a Brownells # for the plain sight I am blathering about. I am placing an order anyway and might as well give it a try with my new rear sight - thanks again Mike.

Lee

I use the FO from the place Waltermitty recommended - very bright! An interesting effect is that the violet FO appers white when you use it in an SDM sight. I don't drill the front part through - I just push the rod in against the dimple until it seats, then you don't need to melt the back end unless you want a bigger dot. Order a couple of feet of each color and play around with it to see what you like - it's cheap enough to experiment.

Mitch,

If the fiber optic went completely through leaving an open hole in the front sight try using it that way. Shooting plates and poppers the hole will show white in the front sight. Brown or some other color targets will show their color through the hole in the front sight. It works good for me as I can concentrate on the front sight and in most instances, especially fairly close targets, confirm that I'm on the target when the color shows in the opening. May not work for you but worth a try.

Does anyone just shoot black? I would think with Revo good shots win over fast ones. Anyone?

Lee

Here's another option with the SDMs - pull out the FO element and use a little piece of black plastic to plug the hole and you have an excellent patridge plain black front sight. As for good vs fast - the good shots are fast! Revo or auto, it's the same game - go as fast as you can while being accurate.

Edited by Brewski