Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Day Foods

hankfan79

Usually for a local I'll have some trail mix with peanuts and dried fruits to keep my sugars up with plenty of water and some Gatorade. At a major match I pack a small cooler with fruits, snack packs, trail mix, and waters.

Last winter at a match that was in the high 30's with a stiff wind and rain (Brutal)I remembered that I had my "emergency" food with me. I always keep a titanium cup, bottles of water, stove and cup-of-noodles in the truck during winter. It took about half a stage to boil water but I swear I could have sold that cup of noodles for $10 when it was done. I fired it up halfway through the match and it just made the whole day go better, getting something hot inside. Something to think about in the next few months.......

Night before the match, pasta with chicken breast.

the next morning small bowl of fruits with oatmeal sprinkle with granola

and lots of water. If im in a hurry, just get the fruit parfait at mcdonalds.

during match by lunch,turkey sandwich, trail mix, frozen grape gatorade and water bottles.

1) Hydrate. Loss of body water will effect the small, precision muscles of the body first. Your accuracy will go before your strength.

2) Low Glycemic Carbs before, and then small snacks throughout. (Oatmeal or other whole grain for breakfast, with some fat (like butter), and then a few hand-fulls of trail mix between stages.)

3) Watch the heavy, fatty, salty, sweet food before. (No good!)... Like the McDonalds McGriddles I pound on the way to half my matches... Lol

4) Gatorade (or equivalent) is good for high-intensity sports lasting longer than 60-90 minutes, to maintain blood sugar. (Most large matches are over 90, yet, lower in intensity.) I'd suggest the Gatorade if you're sweating a LOT, like in FL, or Texas, etc...

5) I ingest a lot of caffeine before matches, but I ingest a lot of caffeine NORMALLY. If you're use to caffeine, don't forget it. If you're NOT, don't ADD it! Caffeine in large doses increases mental acuity, muscle contraction rate, focus, and power. It can also make your hands shake! I'm use to drinking a pot+ of coffee per day, so a large energy drink on the way to a match helps a LOT! Like mentioned above... don't experiment with your diet/caffeine the day of! Experiment before MINOR matches, and see how you shoot!

Nutrition is likely the MOST overlooked element of a competitive shooters match-plan, like likely THE most important.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, so I can stay full before lunch time w/c consist if carbs like a cup rice, chicken or beef w/some veggies and a sandwich for snack. I usually consume 500ml of Gatorade throughout the day and 1 liter of distilled water.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found that the following combo works best for me.

I have a good breakfast of slow digesting carbs, fruit, and protein so I don't get hungry during the shoot.

Then I take a bottle of water, a bottle of powerade or gatorade, and I take cliff bars. I will sometimes substitute the sports drink for one of the natural fruit and veggie smoothies you get in the produce section of the grocery store.

This usually keeps me going strong though the day and is fairly healthy compared to some of the other stuff that is available. It also is quick to eat between stages and you don't have to touch anything so you won't get lead all over your food.

I like the cliff bars because they are not too sweet and not covered in chocolate. They also are pretty filling. As far as the smoothies, I like to go with the ones that have more veggies, because I do not like having too much sugar.

I used to be the range flake. I'd forget or ignore the reality and show up hoping the host range had food available.

Last year I took stock of my life and diet and decided I wasn't prepared to be this fat and decrepid at this age.

I cut out the Coke, fast food, and tried damn hard to cut most of the excess carbs from my diet. I tried to work within a 2000 calorie budget.

I work 3 minutes from home, and work steady days. Keeping to a diet during the week wasn't a problem.

The big question was what to do at the range. It's not like random acts of weirdness are beyond me, but bringing a propane stove and fry pan seemed a bit over the top.

I settled on simple, portable things.

Bottled water instead of Coke.

Peanut or almond granola bars for a bit of carbs and fats.

A package of sliced roast chicken or turkey, rolled and bagged into quick grab and go portions.

A few small tupperware containers with washed seedless grapes.

A few ripe bananas.

It all fits into a small cooler. The cooler fits under my folding range chair. When not patching or shooting, I nibble constantly.

• 1 month later...

I eat some toast with peanut butter mixed with honey Two eggs with a scoop of rice and a corned beef brisket in the morning before the match. Don't eat anything till its over. 8am-3pm. I drink about 1.5 liters of water as well during the duration. Next time I am going to bring something to eat during the match. I just don't like carrying our going back to the car to get things that's why i eat allot before the match and just hydrate during the day.

• 2 weeks later...

ISpeaking from my own experience, eating a satisfying, but not over-filling breakfast with protein and some carbs gives me energy without weighing me down. Protein keeps my muscles working smoothly and carbs convert to sugar which = energy. I am always careful not to over-do the carbs. That always gives me that weighed down, heavy, over-full and sleepy feeling. The most important thing without a doubt is hydration and that applies regardless of the weather. Obviously it takes more to get well hydrated and stay that way in hot or humid conditions but as I said, it applies in all weather. It was suggested to me a while back to start hydrating 2 to 3 days before a match by drinking at least 8 eight once glasses (or bottles) of water per day. I do the same thing on match day starting with a bottle with my morning coffee, another one my way to the match and during a typical 10 - 12 stage match I'll put down 3 more 16OZ bottles. I usually mix in some Gatorade too. Yes – I do find myself in the rest room more frequently than usual but I know I always feel better before, during and after the match. I find I am more focused and my body feels better all the way around. I also find myself eating less which helps me stay loose too.

Happy shooting!