Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.45X39 in 3gun?

sono

Ok I did the search and couldn't find a answer. Does uspsa allow the AK74 which runs the 5.45 cartridge in 3gun? By looking at the chrono it will make powerfactor. Just thinking of something kinda different.

I asked the same question when I first started because the only AR15 I could find during the Obama buyathon was the M&P15R.

It's legal in USPSA but several outlaw matches rules state .22 caliber or larger and the 5.45mm is .2146". The other problem you will have is that the cheapo spam can ammo is steel core which can't be shot at the steel targets, the wolf ammo has a steel jacket and a magnet will stick to it so most matches won't let you shoot it at their steel targets even though it won't hurt a thing. Your only saving grace is that new 5.45x39 ammo that Hornady is making. Haven't tried any but I plan to do so.

I bet if you asked nicely you could get some Outlaw MD's to allow your AK74. The recoil is the same as the 223 and IMO you would be at a disadvantage because there are not that many premium 5.45x39 barrels being made if there are any at all. I couldn't find any ballistic software for the 5.45x39 either.

Edited by jtischauser

I asked the same question when I first started because the only AR15 I could find during the Obama buyathon was the M&P15R.

It's legal in USPSA but several outlaw matches rules state .22 caliber or larger and the 5.45mm is .2146". The other problem you will have is that the cheapo spam can ammo is steel core which can't be shot at the steel targets, the wolf ammo has a steel jacket and a magnet will stick to it so most matches won't let you shoot it at their steel targets even though it won't hurt a thing. Your only saving grace is that new 5.45x39 ammo that Hornady is making. Haven't tried any but I plan to do so.

I bet if you asked nicely you could get some Outlaw MD's to allow your AK74. The recoil is the same as the 223 and IMO you would be at a disadvantage because there are not that many premium 5.45x39 barrels being made if there are any at all. I couldn't find any ballistic software for the 5.45x39 either.

The mild steel core stuff deforms steel less than the heavier lead core loads.

5.45 is academically less than .22" but break out the micrometer and the bullet passes.

5.45 is academically less than .22" but break out the micrometer and the bullet passes.

If a magnet sticks there aren't many matches that are going to let you shoot it at their steel.

You could proabably run the 5.45x39 without anyone noticing at most matches but I wouldn't be willing to risk match fees, travel expnese, etc. on trying it without approval from the range master.

You could proabably run the 5.45x39 without anyone noticing at most matches ..........
NO :blink:

You show up to a match, drag the guns out, and everyone has to look! The questions start flowing and here come the explanations. <_< It's better to stay within the parameters and avoid some heartburn down the road. :cheers:

If you are looking for something fun and different...check out the caliber Daniel and Robby shot at the last multigun nat's.

Edited by Sterling White

you're going to find that if you put a JP trigger in it, its still gonna be kinda tuff... to detonate the Bulgarian surplus that is prevalent it takes an EXTRA power hammer spring. i installed one in mine, JP hammer spring wouldnt dent them and a regular hammer spring would at least make a mark on em. what you end up with is not the 3 pound job that you're expecting... <_<

and yeah, they would notice the extra sparks coming out of the comp and probably question you. that, and the smell. when you shoot it, it just doesnt smell like what you're used to with Amercian .223 or even Wolf.

Edited by ken hebert

You could proabably run the 5.45x39 without anyone noticing at most matches ..........

You show up to a match, drag the guns out, and everyone has to look! The questions start flowing and here come the explanations.

Sterling just play dumb. It works for me!

Yeah, my '74 is orange, so it's hard to hide.

People around here have been smart enough recognize no AP 5.45 has been imported, and that I wouldn't blow my rare stash on a match if I had it. You'd think after years of surplus importation most numbskulls would have gotten the memo!

You show up to a match, drag the guns out, and everyone has to look! The questions start flowing and here come the explanations.

Sterling just play dumb. It works for me!

Yeah, my '74 is orange, so it's hard to hide.

People around here have been smart enough recognize no AP 5.45 has been imported, and that I wouldn't blow my rare stash on a match if I had it. You'd think after years of surplus importation most numbskulls would have gotten the memo!

I was under the impression that the generally dirt-cheap spam cans of (russian?) surplus all had steel penetrators? I realize that the commercial stuff is all the usual wolf/bear bimetal that wont damage anything.

My range superintendent won't care about my song and dance. His rule is no ammo that is attracted by a magnet, period. His range, his rules.

As for the caliber issue (.2146"), I personally wouldn't mind, but I'm not playing for cash or prizes.

I was under the impression that the generally dirt-cheap spam cans of (russian?) surplus all had steel penetrators? I realize that the commercial stuff is all the usual wolf/bear bimetal that wont damage anything.

They have a MILD steel core, not a hardened penetrator. When shot side by side with the 60 grain lead core silver bear and Barnaul loads, they penetrate mild and dent hardened steel LESS. My hardened steel targets don't get scratched. The intake manifolds and engine blocks have smaller craters on the 52 grain impacts. This is due to their lighter weight, lower MV, and soft core.

The only AK ammo that endangers steel targets is the hardened steel core chinese 7.62x39.

They have a MILD steel core, not a hardened penetrator. When shot side by side with the 60 grain lead core silver bear and Barnaul loads, they penetrate mild and dent hardened steel LESS. My hardened steel targets don't get scratched. The intake manifolds and engine blocks have smaller craters on the 52 grain impacts. This is due to their lighter weight, lower MV, and soft core.

The only AK ammo that endangers steel targets is the hardened steel core chinese 7.62x39.

Learn something new every day- thanks.

It seems like it would be an interesting cartridge with good potential if brass was available. Since the brass is wider and shorter you can load the long .223 bullets (swaged of course to fit the 5.45) to magazine length but with a little less case capacity. The tapered case should make it pretty reliable too.

• 3 years later...

Yes, actual bullet diameter is .221".

They probably won't let you shoot it because it's either steel jacket OR steel jacket with a steel core.