Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AFTEC Caps Breaking

CocoBolo

My 9 major shorty has broken two AFTEC caps in about 2k rounds of use. I checked it over last night the firing pin block has the radiused edges. I looked down the hole and don't see any rough edges or anything. The springs were a bit dirty but not enough to bind.

Am I just lucky or is this common or should I look for something.

When the cap isn't broken the gun runs 100% but then it breaks and you get a jam on every long course.

Edited by CocoBolo

I've been using Aftec's for around 4 years and never had that happen, although I do use supercomp and not 9mm. I have replaced springs, but I have never had to replace the cap.

Well said I have not had this problem with my other guns, they just keep running, just clean the tunnel every 2k or so. I replace the springs once a year. So the caps breaking in this one has me looking for a reason they are breaking. All 3 of my open guns run the same 9 mm 38 Super Comp extractor, of the 3 the one that is having the issue has a tighter fitting firing pin stop but the radius is there and with out the springs the aftec swivels in an out freely.

I've been using Aftec's for around 4 years and never had that happen, although I do use supercomp and not 9mm. I have replaced springs, but I have never had to replace the cap.

Well said I have not had this problem with my other guns, they just keep running, just clean the tunnel every 2k or so. I replace the springs once a year. So the caps breaking in this one has me looking for a reason they are breaking. All 3 of my open guns run the same 9 mm 38 Super Comp extractor, of the 3 the one that is having the issue has a tighter fitting firing pin stop but the radius is there and with out the springs the aftec swivels in an out freely.

Ron,

You are probably breaking the cap as you insert it back in the tunnel. SInce it's tighter than the rest, try and take a bit off the springs and see if it helps. Mine is so loose I can put it in with a firm push and I don't even need to use a screwdriver to push down on it as it enters the tunnel. I know you have been using these awhile, but just to be sure, the way I do it is to rotate the Aftec so the cap side is facing the firing pin hole, then you take a small screwdriver and push down firmly on the end that is going into the tunnel. With the pressure held firm I take the slide and bump it into by work bench to get it started. Then I push it down most of the way and rotate it before it comes through the breech face.

JT

Ron,

You are probably breaking the cap as you insert it back in the tunnel. SInce it's tighter than the rest, try and take a bit off the springs and see if it helps. Mine is so loose I can put it in with a firm push and I don't even need to use a screwdriver to push down on it as it enters the tunnel. I know you have been using these awhile, but just to be sure, the way I do it is to rotate the Aftec so the cap side is facing the firing pin hole, then you take a small screwdriver and push down firmly on the end that is going into the tunnel. With the pressure held firm I take the slide and bump it into by work bench to get it started. Then I push it down most of the way and rotate it before it comes through the breech face.

JT

I'm innocent on both counts of breaking the cap, M9Guns inserted it the first time, I bought the top end from them, when it broke the first time we took the cap off one from another of my guns and put it in this one, my smith did it and he doesn't like Aftec's. The fit to the firing pin stop plate is tight front to back (of slide) but the corners are rounded and it works and seems to wiggle in and out at the breach face ok.

Derek I have heard the name but no idea who it is.

Derek I have heard the name but no idea who it is.

Derek Janowicz, aka Mr. Millennium Custom. Send me a PM if you need his number. R,

Thanks Bart & AL503 I'll give him a call and see if he can make some suggestions. The first one broke on one side and the second on both sides. I have 3 new tops and a gaggle of springs on order.

Janowicz bought Aftec. His number is: 561 628-2127

You may have too much spring tension on the caps. Try compressing the springs to put a set in them prior to insertion. This will take some of the strength out of the manufactured spring. The new springs ARE stronger than the previous runs. I have both and there is a difference. There are other factors which come into play, but this is the first step.

Jack

You could also have a case where your extractor tunnel is a bit tight relative to the 1911 spec, which would give you the same effect as too much spring tension. BTW - you're supposed to compress and hold the springs at crush for a few seconds before installing them (a dial caliper is actually a good tool for that).

You could also have a case where your extractor tunnel is a bit tight relative to the 1911 spec, which would give you the same effect as too much spring tension. BTW - you're supposed to compress and hold the springs at crush for a few seconds before installing them (a dial caliper is actually a good tool for that).

Great I'll check the extractor bore diameter and I'll compress the new springs for 30 seconds before I put the new cap in. Since I didn't put the other two in, I have not idea what they did so this will be more of a controlled expierment. If the spring caps contour matches that of the extractor bore the spring cap should just be pushed up against the bore and have no stress on it that could break the cap. On the other hand if it does not then it would be rocking in there and cause a lot of stress on one side of the cap during ejection. Easy enough to check the cap, just need to find a small straight edge to check the extractor bore in the slide.

I saved the number for the new owner, if it breaks again I'll get his input. This isn't rocket science right?

It's not so much a matter of "straight" with matching curve to the cap (though that'd be an interesting issue, too), but that the diameter of the tunnel could be too large or small...