Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GSSF Division Questions

dagger10k

I'm thinking of shooting a Glock match with my Glock 20 that I shoot in limited (stock internals, and I can remove my grip slug/magwell/aftermarket barrel).

I have a couple of questions about where I could fit in with this, for anyone who knows:

1) Would it be ok to shoot .40s&w out of the stock barrel in any division? This one is important. Shooting 10mm at a lost brass match is not an option.

2) I usually use a lighter recoil spring on a stainless steel rod. Would using this spring put me in competition (or unlimited?), correct?

3) I use Sevigny sights. Would these be ok for amateur civilian, or would these put me in competition also (or unlimited)?

I really want to try this out, but I want to make sure my equipment would work first.

Thanks for any help!

• 4 weeks later...

any internal mods. arnt really gonna be scrutinized ie. triggers and springs, as for sights, its post front and notch rear, andthe new ruling is that they cannot be 'melted' into the slide ie. like a Bo-mar cutout

as forthe barrel swap out to .40??? that i am not sure, you might want to contact GSSF on that one, i know yrs ago i was using a different barrel(conventional rifling so i could shoot lead) but same caliber and at one match they had a big heartache over it so i stopped using that particular set-up. for me, giving up 10mm brass is the nature ofthe beast as i shoot a 29 in major sub(its only 56 rds per match thus far)

Well, I contacted GSSF about it, and the aftermarket barrel is a no-no in everything except unlimited. Shooting .40 out of the 10mm barrel is a no-no period. Since I'm not willing to lose my 10mm brass, and am not willing to shoot in unlimited with a basically stock gun, I won't be shooting GSSF unless I get another glock, which was really what I was hoping to do BY shooting GSSF in the first place. Oh well.

That is actually the match I'm talking about. Thanks for the offer! I'm shooting the NCPS and mini-multigun matches up here at sac valley instead. Next time I'll take your offer for sure.

And if you're talking about this weekend's GSSF match at my home club in Richmond, PM or email me and I can lend you 40 or 9mm glocks for the match.

Kevin

Edited by dagger10k

There is a GSSF Match in Milwaukee that I'd like to shoot in October. Can you guys tell me what divisions I should be shooting in?

I plan to shoot

1: A stock G17 - I figure stock division for this one?

2: My Production division G34. The grip has been stippled, and there are very few glock parts inside this gun. What division will I be shooting with this one?

Thanks!

There is a GSSF Match in Milwaukee that I'd like to shoot in October. Can you guys tell me what divisions I should be shooting in?

I plan to shoot

1: A stock G17 - I figure stock division for this one?

2: My Production division G34. The grip has been stippled, and there are very few glock parts inside this gun. What division will I be shooting with this one?

Thanks!

With the G17 you can shoot Amatuer Civilian or Guardian (LE and Fire), Competition and Master Stock. You could also shoot Unlimited with it if you wanted. The 34 is only going to be legal in Unlimited.

not that i would take umbrage with my friend Chuck, but you dont wantto shoot your G34 in unlimited, i think Chuck is thinking of competition class, unlimited is for open class Glocks that have been tricked out with dots and comps for the most part, if ya just wanna shoot a bunch of divisions, hey, the waters warm, jump on in, talk tothe good folks at registration, and they can also help you out as to what divisions you can shoot

Btw...missed ya at Richmond chuck, 346 guns showed up

Nope, I new what I was saying with this 34. Since the grip is stippled and the gun is modified, he can't use it in Competition class. Unlimited is the only Division he can use it in.

As far as the 17, as a new shooter you'll be most competetive in Amatuer Civilian or Guardian, followed by Competition. Both of these split the amatuers from the masters. In Masterstock and Unlimited you'll compete heads up against the masters. When I was starting I always shot as many divisions as I could enter. I'd start each stage with the guns I figured I had the least chance of winning with and basically practice each stage. By the time I got to the Divisons I figured I could do well in I'd already had a couple practice runs to get the timing/accuracy down.

If it was me, I'd leave the 34 home and just take the 17. Shoot an Amatuer Civ or Guard, Comp, and at least MS, if not MS and Unl. Start with Unl,MS, Comp and Am. Civ last. It's kind of expensive but it gives the best final results. GSSF also awards a number of prizes randomly. So even if you don't win MS or Unl outright you could still pay for the entry with a random prize. The other advantage to entering multiple guns is to get a bit more shooting in. Most USPSA competitors get bored with GSSF. 3 stages and a 110 rounds for a whole day just doesn't seem all that much fun. I shoot 5 divisions when I go. 15 stages, and 500ish rounds in about an hour, now that's fun.

Thought about going to Richmond, but that was one of two weekends off I've had from shooting since the middle of May and I figured it would be best if I put in a little face time around the house so my wife and kid remember what I look like.

I know they are VERY strict about modifications in Stock class but is it legal to change springs? I'm playing around with my 34 and the stock recoil system and just hate the way the gun moves after shooting the last year solid with a 13lb ISMI....

Nope, I new what I was saying with this 34. Since the grip is stippled and the gun is modified, he can't use it in Competition class. Unlimited is the only Division he can use it in.

As far as the 17, as a new shooter you'll be most competetive in Amatuer Civilian or Guardian, followed by Competition. Both of these split the amatuers from the masters. In Masterstock and Unlimited you'll compete heads up against the masters. When I was starting I always shot as many divisions as I could enter. I'd start each stage with the guns I figured I had the least chance of winning with and basically practice each stage. By the time I got to the Divisons I figured I could do well in I'd already had a couple practice runs to get the timing/accuracy down.

If it was me, I'd leave the 34 home and just take the 17. Shoot an Amatuer Civ or Guard, Comp, and at least MS, if not MS and Unl. Start with Unl,MS, Comp and Am. Civ last. It's kind of expensive but it gives the best final results. GSSF also awards a number of prizes randomly. So even if you don't win MS or Unl outright you could still pay for the entry with a random prize. The other advantage to entering multiple guns is to get a bit more shooting in. Most USPSA competitors get bored with GSSF. 3 stages and a 110 rounds for a whole day just doesn't seem all that much fun. I shoot 5 divisions when I go. 15 stages, and 500ish rounds in about an hour, now that's fun.

Thought about going to Richmond, but that was one of two weekends off I've had from shooting since the middle of May and I figured it would be best if I put in a little face time around the house so my wife and kid remember what I look like.

Thanks Chuck, that sounds like a plan. Will anyone have problems with me shooting hard cast reloads? I've put thousands of them through my stock barrel so I'm not worried about safety, I just don't want to piss anyone off.

Edited by Rob D

...but as a practical matter they dont take your gun apart to see whats inside.

Would that be considered cheating...

I know they are VERY strict about modifications in Stock class but is it legal to change springs? I'm playing around with my 34 and the stock recoil system and just hate the way the gun moves after shooting the last year solid with a 13lb ISMI....

GSSF is geared for beginners using stock Glocks with factory ammo (as they were designed for). I know we play with reloads and all that, but if you want to play the game, you have to load your ammo so that the gun will function with stock parts. There is the unlimited division where you can do anything to your Glock.

The G17 can be used in any/all of the divisions...of course, it will be less competitive in some of the divisions.

GSSF is geared for beginners using stock Glocks with factory ammo (as they were designed for). I know we play with reloads and all that, but if you want to play the game, you have to load your ammo so that the gun will function with stock parts. There is the unlimited division where you can do anything to your Glock.

The G17 can be used in any/all of the divisions...of course, it will be less competitive in some of the divisions.

I was just wondering if aftermarket springs were allowed. They do allow grip tape and sights so I figured I'd check. My reloads run 135-139 PF so they are typically equal or hotter then most factory bulk 9mm, the gun cycles no problem I just don't like the way the front sight acts with the factory spring.

Yep, factory springs only except in Unlimited. And no problem at GSSF with the ammo. They used to have a rule where you would get a reshoot if you had a malfunction and you're shooting factory ammo. They did away with the factory part now though. Hard cast should be fine.

... the gun cycles no problem I just don't like the way the front sight acts with the factory spring.

Whenever the sights aren't doing what I like, I normally need to give it a little more grip with the off hand and make sure I have my wrist full cammed into lock-down.