Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting a 650 on a roll around cart?

Delray

I bought a laptop charging cart from a local school auction this weekend (see attached picture) and am thinking of moving my xl650 and related stuff from my normal workbench to this roll around cart. The upsides ... clear up some space on my workbench for other stuff (engine parts, tools, cleaning stuff, move it around to the AC :) ). The downsides: the cart has a sort of thin metal top and the strong mount might flex it and the cart might interfere with the handle (I need to measure), little shorter than my bench, since the wheels cant be locked there might be a bunch of jumping around when I am loading.

Anyone else mounted their press to a movable cart/desk?

I'd recommend rethinking that plan. You want your press to be on a rock solid mount in order to get the best quality and consistency possible. If you really need it to be movable you could probably figure out a way to attach it to your bench with nuts and bolts so a few turns would allow you to take it off.

My press sits on a bench I made out of 2x4's and 1 inch plywood. There are multiple cross braces under the press to keep the bench from flexing and the whole thing is anchored to the wall to keep it from moving.

Yah, I think you're going to have lots of trouble. I tried mounting my 650 to a Black & Decker portable workbench and it didn't work at all. I currently have it mounted in my RV, and even the little bit of motion due to the shock absorbers causes problems.

Brad

When I was in my apartment (and before I had built a reloading bench) I used a 550 on a wheeled cart with some regularity. Since the 550 is manually indexing, I didn't have any problems with powder spills... but primer seating is a different story. I developed mine to where I could keep at least one foot and quite a bit of pressure on the stand (I'm a pretty large guy). I built this out of necessity, but it is quite convenient so i kept it around until now. I bought lumber today to build a monster workbench and will probably be dismantling it soon. I am trying to post a pic but am having a bit of trouble. Best of luck!

A friend of mine has a 550 mounted on one of those music equipment shipping boxes, you know like they use at concerts, black with metal corners. That thing is STUPID solid. The casters are huge and lock about as solid as the parking brake in my truck. Plus, he was able to mount shelves and drawers inside. Not everyone has access to these, so it's not an ideal situation, but since he does sound work at concerts, he had everything he needed.

Oh, and he can put his 550 in the cart, and take it with him when he's on the road.

Mac