Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting A 40 Dillon Size Die

• 4 months later...

While this is a good trick, did it wit a Lyman die in 45acp a long time ago, I would go ahead and purchase the U die if you have a tight chambered pistol, S_I aftermarket barrel etc as the whole case will be sized a little smaller.

The U die will solve most feeding issues in tight chambered 1911, 2011 pistols.

If your shooting a stock barrel, Glock, Sig etc trimming away part of the die will work fine.

So I just bought 1000 used brass from a guy, he claims once fired,..well I opened the bag and there is a bunch of Glock bulgers in the mix,....so where do I get this "U DIE"....?

I am running an STI EDGE and dont want any feed malfs for competition,....is this the brand name the... "U" Die?

Thx, O1

The U-Die is an "Undersized Die", made for Evolution Gun Works by Lee Precision, is 0.001" tighter than the standard SAAMI specs for a resizing die.

It is available from EGW directly (www.egwguns.com) and several of our vendors carry them also (I believe that Shooter's Connection has them.) They are available in 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W, and 45ACP.

I do double-duty when I resize because all of my brass comes from a police range with Glocks. I use the Redding GRx push-thru die and then have a U-Die installed at Station 1 of the press.

EricW,

The Dillon carbide rings are held in by three separate ways: Carbide rings are a press fit into the die body, they are also loc-tited in place, and the bottom of the die body is swaged over the bottom of the ring to retain it. this also, as you discerned, prevents the carbide from directly impacting the top of the shellplate so it doesn't crack. there is easily room to remove .010"-.020" from the bottom swaged portion without doing any damage.

since this is such a common problem with Dillon Dies on .40 and 9mm brass, why doesn't Dillon start doing this automatically on their re-sizing dies?