Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Spring too long?

moto727

I just tried installing a 15lb hammer spring and now I cant cock the hammer or pull the slide all the way back, the hammer does cock and fall if i pull the trigger. I reinstalled the factory spring and all the problems went away. Whats the problem? The gun is a .40 cal stock 2. I did notice that the new spring was alittle bit longer.

I ordered like 4 different springs last summer from Wolff for an Elite Match (same spring) and every single one that showed up was too long, they would have the hammer dragging on the bottom of the slide while racking the gun with with the hammer back... I must've took the thing a part 10 times trying to figure it out (and it did the same stuff you describe a couple times when I really pushed the suckers onto the hammer spring post/strut causing a bind).

Finally, after comparing it to the stock spring's length and seeing that the new ones where too long, I just clipped off a couple coils and it worked perfect from then on, BUT, FWIW, don't get to clip-happy or lightness-greedy and clip down from a 16lb or at least a 15lb or you'll just end up running into light strikes unless you're also using one of Henning's Xl firing-pins.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally, after comparing it to the stock spring's length and seeing that the new ones where too long, I just clipped off a couple coils and it worked perfect from then on, BUT, FWIW, don't get to clip-happy or lightness-greedy and clip down from a 16lb or at least a 15lb or you'll just end up running into light strikes unless you're also using one of Henning's Xl firing-pins.

Good luck.

Thats what I ended up doing and it works fine now