Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from the panhandle

roadapple

Hello everyone. My name is Jim, and I live in the Amarillo, TX area. I love to shoot pistol and rifle. I was in law enforcement for 4 1/2 years. I am disabled now, so I'm going back to college to finish my bachelor's degree. I do not currently own a Dillon press, but I'm hoping to change that soon with a RL 550 B. I do own a Dillon case tumbler, an RCBS JR2, a Lee Breech Lock Challenger (Hey, it was cheap!), and a Lee Hand Press. I started reloading ammo when I lived in Colorado. It started out mostly for hunting, but I like to informally target shoot. I started reloading in 1990 with a Lee Loader for .30-06. I still have that old, mallet-driven device. I have been out of the reloading game for about 14 years. I kept all my brass though!. I am hoping to configure a bench soon. I plan to purchase a RL 550 B, and a XL 650 (for .223, 7.62X39, .308, 9mm, .45ACP, and any other bullet-hose I might acquire). I will probably buy/configure tool heads for all of my firearms calibers. Can anyone tell me if their are any problems loading .380 Auto with the 550? I will keep my single stage presses to develop new loads/data, and small batch loads. Thanks for letting me join the community!

Jim

Welcome to the most informative shooting forum on the Internet :cheers:

I did load a round of .380 once on my 550B without any problem...well, actually one problem:you see I was loading 9mm at the time that this .380 case slipped into the run. Slipped into the box of practice ammo, too. 3.3 grs of Titegroup and a Zero 147 gr JHP makes a heck of a .380 load through a 9mm Glock 34 :blush:

I'm willing to bet you won't have any problems at all with a 550 set up properly for that caliber.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

Hey there neighbor! welcome to the forums. It's always nice to see another flatlander here. Have you shot any matches in the Amarillo area?

J-Ho

No. I've been too busy with school and family. I hope to be able to make time for it in the near future. I used to be a fair rifle shot. Now, I need a lot of practice to try to regain the skill. I was terrible with a handgun until I attended the law enforcement academy in Abilene. I need lots of practice there as well. This is why I am getting serious about reloading. I was talking with a fellow today who could not say enough about the virtues of the Hornady Lock n load. It looks like a well made machine. I also hear from a lot of people about the Dillon 550. I think the manual indexing on the 550 makes it more flexible. Maybe someday I'll be able to have both! Can't have too much ammo... or guns!

Jim

I was hoping the panhandle was referring to Nebraska! Oh, well it never hurts to have another Texas member. Lots of great info here, welcome aboard. Oh, and this forum WILL talk you into more guns, ammo, and reloading components. Guaranteed!