Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old enough to know better

I am the product of a self induced injury that began only days before I leave to attend one of the most important matches of my life.

I am suffering because I acted more like a teenager than the half-centenarian that I am!

In trying to get ready for the Pan-Am shotgun championships AND the Rocky Mtn.3GUN, I figured that some "sprint to gun" starts might in order.

I am not in shape for that kind of adventure (except after the RO's start buzzer) but after a half dozen or so of those I got a good wind going and I notice my lower back is "upset".

Like many a coach’s advice, I try to "walk it off" and again the teenager in me sneaks out and I am trotting and then (if a little is good, more is better) running back and forth checking targets at 100 yards.

Back home my lovely and talented live-in PT (wife) sets me up with a TENS (electro-stimulus) unit and naturally, I over do that too!

She said "turn it up to a little nibble" or some such (I need to listen more) and of course I crank that thing up till I got a BIG dog bite going. That ought to fix it!

The next day getting out of bed is a royal bitch and I just plain hurt. Movement of any kind (like tying my shoes) is bloody painful!

Late the next afternoon I am feeling well enough that I decide it’s time to finally clean all the left over Parma Idaho “Moon Dust” out of my sweetheart’s car. I take is slowly at first…..but 3 hours later the inside is clean and I am wrecked!

I can’t sleep and as of this morning things ain’t pretty. Walking has my back screaming at me but if I don’t move I will surely lock-up! So what do I do? Go to work and cry my tale of self-induced woe to you.

I am hoping that a few days of rest and the sound of the start buzzer will bring with it a good week or two of shooting.

My pretty girl is upset with me for creating my own case of tendinitis!

That doesn't stop me from being pissed at myself for being an idiot!!!

Here’s wishing that with age came wisdom.

Patrick (will I ever learn) Kelley

I find it both entertaining and humbling that he says something like this and then proceeds to go out and win heavy irons at RM3G... (just me predicting the future)

I truly hope your prediction comes true my friend, but I am worried sick that I may not be able

to fully assist my fellow teammates in our pursuit of gold at the Pan-American's

Thank you all for your posts...you guys are the best!!!!

Patrick

Sheeze! You seemed to sprint across the road at SMM3G pretty well earlier this year. Perhaps you should listen to that lovely and talented live-in PT (wife) of yours (who is an absolute doll by the way).

Behave, heal and good luck!

Sherry

I have to grin and think I am WAY to smart to ever do anything like that.....rolleyes.gif

Good luck with your recovery.... try hot tubbing it followed by a few drinks and a good nights sleep. Works wonders... if the hot tub does not lead to further overworking of the back... biggrin.gif

Damn, you remind me of... ME! :angry2:

CYa,

Pat

Didn't John Wayne (Rooster) say that to "Matty" in True Grit?

Don't think so. Hell, I thought I coined the phrase, but then I've been wrong before.

Take care,

Pat

Sorry to hear about your back troubles. Things like that happen when you get older and do things that you are not used to doing.

You maybe forgot what I was saying 18 years ago when I was 50 and you were in your young 30s. I'm now finding that in my late 60s things are even worse.

Take it easy as much as you can, have fun at the match and I wish you the best of luck.

Are you saying you got tendinitis in your lower back from doing a couple running starts?

No, there is more to it in my opening post.

My live in MPT may chime in if you want more info Jake (I know you have a keen understanding of our physical structure)

She gave me the term Thoracolumbar fascia as the seat of my problem.

Patrick

This is exaclty why I don't practice! If I get hurt it is only because I have fallen down drunk.

Jesse - your a funny dude!

Pat - If you were here - right now - your head would have felt a thump! Good lordy man ....wwyt? geez! Get yourself to a sports medicine clinic asap and follow their instructions. You have a lot on the line and there are a lot of us pulling for you! I wish you a speedy recovery.

I re-read your post a little better, but I'm still a little fuzzy on the details.

What is her exact diagnosis of your injury and how did she reach this diagnosis? Do you have any past back problems? Do you train and if so what does an average week in the weight room look like for you? How often are you icing it every day? Has she had you try any myofascial release?

A quick up date to all and thank you to everyone for your good wishes!

Honestly had it not been for letting down my GOLD WINNING TEAMMATES at the Pan-Am Shotgun Championships

I may not have gone at all.

As it worked out, with the constant help of my wife and her insistence that I follow her warm up and stretching protocol

I felt a little better every day of the match!

45% up to par on the first day and 70% by the close of the event.

With any luck maybe 100% by the close of the Rocky Mtn 3 Gun!

Thanks again.

Patrick