Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using Black Bullets with success?

PBA2

I have seen enough report here to know that some are using the "Black Bullets" from Precision or BBI. My question is are you having good success with them in terms of accuracy, smoke, fouling as compared to a CMJ or FMJ. I would love to save money on this part of reloading! Also are there any real challenges in the reloading process? such as shaving the coating or fouling the dies? Also i'm using a Glock 34 and a Dillon 550b. Thanks

I have used Rudy Warren's MOLY-KOTE "Billy Bullets" for many years. Local guy near my range too, that helps. No leading, smoke or fouling of any

kind. All shot through stock OEM Glock barrels. Spooky accurate when I do my part.

I am using the 130gr LTC from BBI, and SOLO 1000. My charge weight is 3.6, and OAL is 1.135/1.137. I haven't had the chance to chrono these yet. I'm running them through a G17, and they will all hit a Bianchi plate at 25 yds. I get very little fouling from the molycoating, or lead at all. I still clean every 1500 rounds though.

You do have to bell the case a little more to revent going through the coating in the seating process. Other than that, they shoot well. I've been trying to group this but have been really busy. There are other threads on these bullets.

Check them out and you will even get chrono data. After shooting Bear Creek and BBIs in my .40, I tried them in my 9mm and have been really happy so far.

JZ

I noticed that a massive number of shooters at this years Pro-Am were shooting Black Bullets. When I came home, I quized the local shooters and found that most of them use them as well.

I guess it is a good bullet and cheap to boot!

I shoot BBI bullets exclusively. My Glock stock barrel will shoot the 130's ok but the accuracy is not what I need to be competitive at the top level. Glock barrels do not shoot lead as accurately as jacketed because of the special rifleing in the Glock barrels. Most people that shoot lots of lead go the aftermarket barrel route. I installed a Lone Wolf barrel (@$100) and the BBI bullets shoot tight little groups. Leading is minimial compared to reagular cast lead bullets. You will get smoke from any exposed lead bullets whether they are jacketed or not. But jacketed smokes less.

I run 180's in my 40 cal guns, 130's in my 9's and I use nothing but VV 320 powder. Loads are clean, consistant, and accurate. Use a clean burning powder for less smoke.

many of you guys are confirming low smoke with an appropriate powder. But are we talking indoor shooting low smoke? Or is that out of the question?

Wow. well that was impressive enough to me that I just ordered 100 of the 130g to give 'em a shot. Can't wait to see how they work for me with N320. Just concerned about the stock glock barrel as Tony pointed out. hopefully we will see soon. Let you know

Do a search in the 9mm reloading section and you will find a lot of info, some of it from me. I did a lot of research about moly coated bullets, powder selection, and how they performed in a Glock. At the time I did the big thread on this, Masterblaster was out of business and BBI had not started their company. So, the testing was done with Precision Bullets. It really is going to come down to how well the bullet seals off in the rifling. 0.005" diameter difference can be a make or break dimension in the question as to how well the bullet will work in the OEM Glock barrel. If you get sheering around the side of the bullet (too small a Diameter and not sealing off in the rifling), leading will happen and probably to an extreme. I saw this in my barrel with the swagged Precision bullets. BBI's are cast and this could be all the difference. Test them. You will know after 100 rounds where you stand.

If you decide to use them, and are getting some build-up in the barrel, invest into an aftermarket barrel. KKM is the best IMO. Their chambers are cut to a workable dimension, tight but not enough to cause feeding issues. Lone Wolf barrels are good too, but have them open up the chamber and pay the extra $20 (or is it $40, I forget) to resolve some of the feeding issues. They cut their chambers really tight.

Solo 1000, WST, and N320 all worked well to keep the smoke down. You can't get rid of all the smoke, but the above list in that order seemed to be the best from my testing. I tested with 147gr bullets. 124gr bullets with Solo 1000 is the bottom edge of workable IMO. Lighter 9mm bullets just seem to run the pressure edge. I prefer the heavier bullets when reloading with solo.

BTW, I use Solo exclusively with BBIs, and I run the combo in 9mm, 40, and 45 ACP.

From Schuemann Barrels website about moly coated bullets.

I'd initially been excited about the molydenum disulphide powder coating technology which has

been introduced into the shooting sports. Initially it seems to be reducing bore wear, reducing

bullet friction, reducing barrel heating, and reducing peak pressures, were all pluses. Seldom

does a new idea produce only pluses. Possible liabilities are documented elsewhere in the web

site. My thought is that,in this case. The millions of microscopic grooves in 416 stainless barrels

are likely a plus where moly disulphide is concerned. Schueman Barrels

POB 50 PMB 177

White Salmon, WA 98672

(509) 493-3514

www.schuemann.com

The moly disulphide will likely be packed into the grooves which might both anchor the moly

disulphide, and also thereby reduce the erosion of the bore by preventing the propellant gas from

eating away at the otherwise exposed edges and surfaces of the grooves. The bench rest shooters,

to whom clean bores historically have been accorded the status of a religion, are gradually

ceasing to clean the bores of their barrels which are used exclusively with moly coated bullets.

This both proves the effectiveness of the moly coating and should allow everyone to stop

cleaning the bores of their barrels. But, the precision rifle shooters seldom shoot more than a few

thousand rounds through their guns before their barrel loses accuracy. We shoot many tens of

times more rounds through our guns and that may be important. In precision rifle shooting the

mild polishing action of the moly disulphide, which is beneficial to precision rifles, will wear out

our barrels prematurely.

My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod

to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very

slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with

a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with

more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets...