Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping a gun I sold

I sold a 1911 in GunBroker last week. The person who bought it wasn't really up on the laws for selling a firearm across state lines, but I finally convinced him that I had to ship the gun to an FFL in his state, who would handle the transfer. Said FFL is telling me that the gun has to be shipped by an FFL also.

Can someone point me to an official publication I can send to them to show this isn't the case. The buyer is in California, if that makes any difference.

CA imposes its state laws on interstate firearms transfers. IIRC, not only does CA mandate that the out of state seller ship via FFL to a CA FFL, I think they mandate that the shipping FFL fill out some sort of special form to get a permit to ship to the CA FFL. It's been a year or two since I last ran into this BS, but it was something to that effect.

Personally, I question whether it's constitutional for CA to put its own restraints on interstate commerce where the federal gov't has already promulgated regulations, but I wasn't about start a legal fight at the time.

Bottom line, I don't sell guns to folks in CA anymore.

I guess I need to find a local FFL to handle the shipping. Other than the hassle, it doesn't matter much to me. It's just going to cost the buyer that much more. I doubt by the time he pays my FFL fees, shipping and his FFL fees it will be any cheaper than buying a gun locally. It seems like a lot of hassle for a SA GI 1911.

I guess I need to find a local FFL to handle the shipping. Other than the hassle, it doesn't matter much to me. It's just going to cost the buyer that much more. I doubt by the time he pays my FFL fees, shipping and his FFL fees it will be any cheaper than buying a gun locally. It seems like a lot of hassle for a SA GI 1911.

The beauty of FFL-FFL shipping is that FFLs can set up to ship handguns through the post office. My local FFL is considerably cheaper than UPS, even with his fee, and I'd rather support a guy who supports me, then the company that solves its internal theft problem by forcing me to utilize and pay for overnight service....

CA does NOT require a firearm to be shipped FFL to FFL .

Here is a FAQ ...... CA DOJ

As a resident I have found this to be the case for the most part. It seems the laws here are set to hinder importation rather than exportation. IIRC, I can send a gun to your FFL through the USPS, but I have to receive the firearm form one and through one, or rather an FFL on both ends. Or that is the CYA thing that I've been told to follow in the past. Rather than argue, I've just spent the little extra. NRA-ILA, how we hope you're still on a great roll when you guys get around to our state.

These crazy laws have put ALOT of our older good gunsmiths out of business or out of the state. :(

Sorry if this is not the answer you’re looking for and in no way is this to be construed as legal advice . . . but if I were you.

I would send it FedEx Red Label.

Accountability, as soon as you leave it at your local FFL and he ships it off. . It’s no longer your problem

However if you just ship it to our wonderful state, your hoping that the FFL your shipping it too understands the laws. ( not all have a full understanding . . and if they do their in house policys might find your gun being returned.)

California has a new program (CFLC) that requires any FFL inside or out side of the state to register with the CAL DOJ and send a Letter with the firearm's being shipped in to or within California.

the Cal DOJ is trying to cut down on shipments going to FFL's that are no longer currant nor valid (Their version of the story . . not mine). . . the letter that an FFL is registering for is stating that they are sending X number of hand guns or x number of long guns to the above stated FFL.

(Note it never asks what guns nor serial numbers nor buyers name . . . just x number handguns / x number long guns)

Now that being said . . . if a fire arm shows up in my Range from an individual . . . . well the DOJ has made it clear that it is only our FFL license on the line, it's our choice as a license holder how far we wish to trod upon that grey line.

If it we're me. . I would only accept a fire arm from a licensed FFL with the CFLC letter . . . in state or from out of state. for if nothing else than accountability.

I do not agree with all of the silly laws nor appreciate the absurd hoops we are all made to jump through, but some times going the long way around will prevent you from a lot of trouble in the short run.

P.S. I only mention FedEX as our company has an account with them. any manner of shipping will do with insurance and signitures at every step. . . also I never say the word "Gun" but "Subminiture compact high speed impact machine tools" seems to work well with the metrosexual little poof behind the counter. . . If I were to admit it and say the evil word "GUN" he would drop the box.(it's happened)

Any person not having a FFL can ship to a FFL inside of CA without any issue at all. If it is a handgun, it needs to be send UPS or FedEx overnight. If it is a long gun, it can be sent USPS.

If the firearm is coming from a FFL outside of CA, that FFL needs to be registered with the CA DOJ CFLC program. They can ship firearms of any kind via USPS. I recently bought a pistol an the FFL outside of CA charged me $ 25 to ship it here via USPS Priority Mail.

Regardless of the shipper, all handguns must be on the DOJ list of safe handguns.