Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads from manufacturer won't chamber

kimmie

When components were hard to get, I started buying reloads from a very reputable company. It was cost effective, the ammo was top notch and it was kinda cool having it delivered righ to my door. Never had a problem with it functioning. I have about 10 boxes left and have been shooting it and my own reloads now. Recently I started having issues with chambering. It seemed like the round was getting hung up just as it goes into the chamber and stopping. It's only happening with the bought reloads. Same gun. Same magazines. Nothing different. It seemed to be 'catching' on the lip of the case. Tonite, it happened with every round in my magazine but didn't happen with my own reloads. When I ran my finger along the case, it felt like the 'bell' was still a little prominent. The battery is dead in my calipers so I can't measure the crimp but it definitely feels like it wasn't enough to take the bell down. Has anyone ever had this problem? And my question is - can I re-crimp these rounds in my press? And what do I have to look out for - other than setting the bullet back too much?

Thanks

Maybe just a bad batch because they were way behind as well during the crunch. I would crimp a few of them and see if they chamber. Of course verify that you are not seating them any deeper. My Dillon crimp die is independent of the seater die.

Yes, you can recrimp. Just as a precaution, if it's a 1911/2011, I'd check that the extractor tunnel is clean. It's not likely, but if the problem ammo is either longer or shorter, or has a different bullet profile it can put slightly different pressure on the extractor hook as it feeds. If the extractor hasn't come out in a while, and this problem gradually developed (which is what it sounds like it might have), it's something easy to check.

Recently I started having issues with chambering. It seemed like the round was getting hung up just as it goes into the chamber and stopping. It's only happening with the bought reloads.

Thanks

I'd take your gun apart, and try feeding the rounds into the chamber

by hand - see if they drop in all the way, freely, and come out easily.

If they do, there's another problem ...

If not, try recrimping one of them and see if that helps - but I'd

feed it into the chamber by hand, first.

Good luck.

Yes, you can recrimp. Just as a precaution, if it's a 1911/2011, I'd check that the extractor tunnel is clean. It's not likely, but if the problem ammo is either longer or shorter, or has a different bullet profile it can put slightly different pressure on the extractor hook as it feeds. If the extractor hasn't come out in a while, and this problem gradually developed (which is what it sounds like it might have), it's something easy to check.

+1. Bart probably hit the nail on the head. Another thing, get a new battery for your calipers, check the OAL, check the crimp, and check the extractor groove on the case. I had some brass one time that the extractor groove was .004 bigger than normal overall (.002 not as deep) and they wouldn't feed for anything. They would chamber check perfectly, but try and load them, it'd lock up the gun.

I'll second Bart's recommendation that you clean the extractor, but will also note that I had an issue with commercial reloads from a very reputable company (one not based in Georgia)not chambering. When I ran them through my case gauge, I ended up discarding 50 out of 350 rounds. I don't buy anything from that company any more, despite the fact that others apparently continue to have good experiences with them.

Well, I've been 'grumped' :roflol: New battery is first on the list of things to do!!!

Seriously, thanks for all the suggestions. I will check the extractor tunnel although I usually clean it every 3rd or 4th time I clean my gun. (Clean my gun after every shooting session), but yes, it seems to have gone from every few to every single one. I will check the extractor groove on the brass. It's mixed brass however. They do hand chamber. I took the barrel out last night and hand chambered all the ones that had gotten hung up. They chambered but felt a little 'snug' and if I angled them a little, I could feel them catching on the lip of the case.

I've shot these reloads in my gun for over a year with no problem. They were the first and only ammo I used for quite awhile until I was able to get the components to reload. They're 1.126 long. I reload to 1.130. Only crimp enough to take the bell out.

Geez. It's always something! But at least I'm not bored!

Edited by kimmie

O.K. Got the battery :rolleyes: . My crimp is .418 give or take. The 'bought' reloads are .421 give or take. Unfortunately, I don't know if the crimp on the 'bought' ones was different before I started having problems. However, in measuring the OAL, the average is 1.126 but I found several much shorter - even down to 1.111 :surprise: I've been loading to 1.130 which has been running fine in my gun. Oops, didn't measure the extractor groove - will do that later but it's all mixed brass, just like I use. Can that vary from resizing, etc??? Cleaned my gun thoroughly, including the firing pin and extractor tunnels. Recrimped about 50 rounds and will try everything out tomorrow. Dumped the short ones to pull at a future date.

Wish me luck :D

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to post an update - discovered that the bullets that were jamming had a different bullet profile. They had apparently changed bullets and others were also having the same problem as me. But true to this company's outstanding customer service, they are sending me a whole case of ammo made with bullets that should feed fine. :cheers: