Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Length for USPSA

RevolverJockey

I have a Carmonized 5" 610 I am very very pleased with - it performs, I typically don't. I also have a stock 610 with a 6.5" barrel. Is the extra bit of sight radius worth the rebarrel and for those running 6.5" barreled N frames, did you get any weight taken off? I am young (30) and have good eyes, 50 yard targets don't seem to be a problem if I take my time, and the handling and making major in the 5" isn't an issue. Just kicking the idea around because I have the second wheel. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lee

I have no experience with a 610, so take this for what it is worth. I shoot a 5" 625 as my regular USPSA gun and started out with a 6 1/2" M-25. The 625 has a full underlug and the 25 does not. The difference seems to balance out. If the 6 1/2" 610 has a full underlug, it might help with recoil and muzzle flip, but will be harder to transition with to targets. In ICORE I have been playing around with a 8 3/8" M14 and while it shoots great, it is a little whippy during transitions. Hope this helps.

I shoot 5 inch, 6 inch, and 6 1/2 inch model guns in USPSA.(.45 cal)

I have been to the range with all lengths, and on the timer there is no difference in my normal drills.

I would spend the money to change barrels on bullets and practice if I were you.

If your 610 (5 inch seems to me the best of all worlds) shoots good (2 inches or less at 25 yds) off a sandbag or ransom rest type holder you have a revolver good enough for any USPSA/ICORE match in the US or elsewhere.

I really like my tapered barrel 6 and 6 1/2 inch guns, but I'm kind of a traditionalist.

Good luck, good shooting. Make the trip to Memphis this November, and you'll get to see more revolvers than you can shake a stick at !!!! :cheers: (Memphis Charity Challenge) ;)

Hopalong

you ever see that 200 yard shot bob munden made with that little snub nose revolver on youtube?

A valid point, I assume it is time to break out the special tool they call practice. With free ammo, you would think I would be a good shot by now - nope. lol.

Lee

You could send your 6.5" one to Mike for him to work over like he did your 5" and run them on the timer and compare. The 6.5" will make power w/less powder than the 5", I would think.

Worse case, you have a good back up or sale item.

Granderjo