Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite .30-06 Rifle Loads

jmcmanis

Ive been wanting to start shooting long distance rifle with a couple of buddies. I usually just shoot handgun, but am willing to give this a try. What are your favorite loads for the .30-06. I want something that I can possibly reach out to 1000yd, and have really tight groups. What brass, primer, powder and projectile are you using.

Thanks,

James McManis

If you don't own a modern loading cataloge from at least two powder companys or bullet makers, that would be the first thing I would purchace. The information that is available on long distance shooting and reloading for long distance shooting is available on the internet and in books written by the best long distance shooter of these modern times.

Learn to reload safely and follow the manuals. The '06 has good potential with the right bullet, the right rifle, and the right shooter. Good luck...

Younger

1000 yards is a really long way. Most of the long range 30-06 shooters I know are using 190-200 grain bullets & Reloader 15, if memory serves me correctly. These guys are all shooting min. 26 in heavy barrels, your basically stock off the rack 700 BDL is going to need some updating. 1000 yards is a really expensive game to get in to. Make certain your rifle & scope combination is up to the task, it's easy to get frustrated shooting long range. The long range hunting website & Snipershide are probably the best sources of information on long range shooting. There are others, but these two seem to get the most traffic. One word of warning: most of the long range guys are pretty neat, but there are still plenty who like to sharpen their claws on beginners. I guess it just makes them feel better to belittle others. I think the general consensus is to gradually work your way out from ranges you're comfortable with. You'll learn new things every time you add more distance.