Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge 9mm load - which bullet?

Pro2AInPA

Pro,

I recommend a 147gr lead truncated nose with 3.5gn of Red Dot or some other fast powder. Right now I am going to try a slower one someone else recommended also. However the 147gr bullet makes for a soft recoil and is plenty heavy, hard and fast enough. At least for my Steel Madness which is falling plates as well as the stuff similar to Steel Challlenge. Caveat: I am only doing this a year or so.

Good luck,

Max

I prefer the 147 gr. jacketed or plated bullets at ca 900 fps but some fellow shooter prefer the 115 or 124 gr. bullets. There is definitely a diffrence in perceived rcoil between the lighter and heavier bullets. It boils down to personnal preference although I believe the plates and popper fall more aauthoritatively with the heavier bullets.

Just moved up from an iron sighted Buckmark to my USPSA gun for Steel Challenge. Shot Precision Delta 124 gr JHP with 4.0 gr TG. Worked great. Used 147 gr Missouri Bullets for the last USPSA. Couldn't tell much difference with the XD0 tactial. Do know that the 124 gr JHP works well for poppers and plates though.

I only shoot one load. I load for USPSA minor PF in 9mm. Shooting steel is just practice for USPSA in my case so I keep everything the same. I shoot 124 MG FMJ's at 135 PF. I was not crazy about the 147's I tried.

I only shoot one load. I load for USPSA minor PF in 9mm. Shooting steel is just practice for USPSA in my case so I keep everything the same. I shoot 124 MG FMJ's at 135 PF. I was not crazy about the 147's I tried.

I shoot .40 major in USPSA and don't have a lot of experience playing with 9mm loads.

What powder are you pushing your 124s with?

• 1 month later...

Right- I started shooting .22LR a couple

of months ago for steel matches. Now I have

two guns for it. Ruger Mark III with C-More,

and a Browning Buck Mark with iron sights!

Funny I have just the opposite. A Buckmark with a C-more and a 22/45 with iron for club matches, Steel Challenge and Ruger Rimfire Series.

Use to shoot steel 3 time a month. I used a 105 gr. lead bullet and win. 231 powder in a 9x21 cartridge open pistol. Don't remember the gr. but it shot about like a 25 cal bullet. I think it was making about 110 PF and I used a 6lb. spring with 2 coils cut off. Never put over 10 rds in 24 rd. mag as it may not strip the next round out of the mag. Basically today I would think the lighter the bullet and a slow powder is the way to go. Just needs enough power to cycle the pistol good as you will never shoot over 40 yds in a match and 90% will be 15 yds or less.

Max TY-21921