Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between 40 major and 9 minor

RangerTrace

For the last couple of months I have been shooting Tuesday night steel matches with an older Infinity, double stack 9mm. Even though steel is not very fond of me, the pistol has ran 100%.

Tonight I shot a USPSA match with the Dallas Action Pistols Shooters with my all stainless, signature grip, Infinity 40. The gun runs 100%. It has been about a months since I've shot it.

The difference in feel, between the two was very obvious. The first few rounds of the first stage, the pistol felt really strange to me. I guess is was a balance issue between the steel grip and the polymer grip. The difference in recoil impulse and overall feel was distracting.

All I can say, is I prefer the feel of the all steel gun. I thought I could shoot the older Infinty at steel matches with no ill effects on my limited shooting. But I think I was wrong :goof:

Anyone have a similar experience?

when i started shooting IPSC a few years ago, we were limited to minor guns and 10 rounds (we have a calibre restriction of .38).

I shot a single stack STI Rangemaster in STD - AND LOVED IT

With the introduction of .357SIG as a major load, I went to an STI EDGE - I REALLY DID NOT ENJOY IT - the fatter grip and the plastic "feel" was not as nice as the SS.

I went out and got a SLIM STI Aluminium grip and fitted it to the EDGE and shoot Major with it - LOVE THE FEEL, really really happy with it...

...but

the results (in terms of match performance) are basically the same.

Its the Indian not the Arrow...but if the indian likes other arrows go for it

I shoot both an XDM 40 and Tanfoglio Match 40 in Limited and truly think the steel Tanfo has an edge. I like the extra weight. Then again my hands have pretty much gone south and that probably has something to do with it.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Ah that I were young enough to have focus now that I see the use of it. - Me

For the last couple of months I have been shooting Tuesday night steel matches with an older Infinity, double stack 9mm. Even though steel is not very fond of me, the pistol has ran 100%.

Tonight I shot a USPSA match with the Dallas Action Pistols Shooters with my all stainless, signature grip, Infinity 40. The gun runs 100%. It has been about a months since I've shot it.

The difference in feel, between the two was very obvious. The first few rounds of the first stage, the pistol felt really strange to me. I guess is was a balance issue between the steel grip and the polymer grip. The difference in recoil impulse and overall feel was distracting.

All I can say, is I prefer the feel of the all steel gun. I thought I could shoot the older Infinty at steel matches with no ill effects on my limited shooting. But I think I was wrong goof.gif

Anyone have a similar experience?

No my SV has a 9 mm set up and I also have a 40 barrel breech face, extractor and recoil spring so I just switch it the caliber I want to shoot so its always the same gun just really a different bullet.

I've been thinking of trying the ALuminum grip on my STI open guns but I don't want to go broke sending the cracked ones back.

Hello: I want to try the STI small aluminum grip after they get all the bugs worked out. I think you may be feeling more threw the metal grip than the original plastic one. I would think the plastic grip dampens some of the recoil impulse which you may not like. I see a metal grip in your future :cheers: Thanks, Eric