Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adobe Illustrator Font Question

I'm working on some stickers in Illustrator.

In the images below, the left one was made in InDesign, and the font looks perfect. Today, when I made the second (right) one in Illustrator, the font looks outlined. I'm not much of an Illustrator master... I've clicked everything I can find and can't figure it out why the Illustrator font is outlined. (It prints as it appears here.)

I experimented with different fonts, and they all appear outlined when you go above around 24 points or so in Illustrator.

Scott (or anyone), are you out there?

be

post-171-127975968865_thumb.jpg

post-171-127975969749_thumb.jpg

It's not a setting for the font. Look at the bottom of your toolbar. You should see two squares of color, like in this image: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f375/trillskill/CS2_Illust_ANB-TUTORIALANB-.gif. (This has been the same for many versions of Illustrator, so don't worry if the rest doesn't match up perfectly.) Set your fill to what you want by clicking on the square labeled "fill" in that diagram, and then using the color chooser. Then click on the "stroke" square, and finally the rightmost button below (the red slash, meaning "no color"). That will remove the outline.

ETA: taking a second look, it may be even easier. It looks like your image has a white stroke and no fill, so first try the "swap fill/stroke colors" button, which is the 90-degree arrow between the fill and stroke squares.

--John.

Edited by John Tuley

It's not a setting for the font. Look at the bottom of your toolbar. You should see two squares of color, like in this image: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f375/trillskill/CS2_Illust_ANB-TUTORIALANB-.gif. (This has been the same for many versions of Illustrator, so don't worry if the rest doesn't match up perfectly.) Set your fill to what you want by clicking on the square labeled "fill" in that diagram, and then using the color chooser. Then click on the "stroke" square, and finally the rightmost button below (the red slash, meaning "no color"). That will remove the outline.

ETA: taking a second look, it may be even easier. It looks like your image has a white stroke and no fill, so first try the "swap fill/stroke colors" button, which is the 90-degree arrow between the fill and stroke squares.

--John.

Thanks!

I just got off the phone with Joe Precopio, and told me similar solutions.

The Forum - ain't it great!

:)