Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KEYHOLE

KELCIB

BACKGROUND: MY SON JUST GOT A SIG238 .380. SHOT PAPER UP TO 50M. SAYS TO ME NONE OF THEM KEYHOLED. I SAID WHY SHOULD THEY. HE GOES BALL AMMO OUT OF THE M-9 DOES ALL THE TIME. I SAID YOU HAVE BEEN SHOOTING WITH ME FOR 20YRS, HAVE YOUEVER SEEN A KEYHOLE? HE SAYS NO. MY SON'S ORIG MOS WAS 45B10- SMALLARMS REPAIR, UP TO DIV LEVEL. NOW PRI MOS IS 11B SERVED IN IRAQ. KNOWS HIS WEAPONS. KNOWS THE M-9 IS A PIECE OF CRAP. WHAT WOULD MAKE A M-9 KEYHOLE WITH ISSUE BALL?

I shot alot of M9's over the years and never saw a keyhole. The M9 is a pretty damn good pistol in my opinion. Your post says he never saw a keyhole? So, is it just hearsay? If he was an armorer why doesn't he slug or mic the barrels.

But I agree with race. If they are keyholing they are probably shot out.

45B's don't slug barrels. There are no gauges for the M9 other than trigger pull. If there is a problem, replace part. If that doesn't work, F code it and send it off. The Army ties the hands of the Armorers. TACOM has a saying about small arms inspections..."fire till failure". That being said, other than a batch of bad mags that got out a while ago and locking block failures it's not a bad pistol. Then again, it has the wrong grip angle (LOL)...

If properly serviced they last way longer than they should. I don't like them, but if that's all you're given you have to adapt.

45B's don't slug barrels. There are no gauges for the M9 other than trigger pull. If there is a problem, replace part. If that doesn't work, F code it and send it off. The Army ties the hands of the Armorers. TACOM has a saying about small arms inspections..."fire till failure". That being said, other than a batch of bad mags that got out a while ago and locking block failures it's not a bad pistol. Then again, it has the wrong grip angle (LOL)...

If properly serviced they last way longer than they should. I don't like them, but if that's all you're given you have to adapt.

you are right (by the way i was a 45b10 serving at the co level and it turned out very well training my guys so weapons don't go back to depot) as far as mags go i crushed all bad m4/m16 mags everyday. every guy i served with went to the px and bought new followers. m-9's wear out to quick

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot a bunch of 92s and a few M9s and I never saw one keyhole. Other things have broken but thats a new one for me anyway

I have also never seen a Beretta keyhole. Two causes are a shot out barrel, or a bullet that is too heavy for the barrels rifling, and cannot be stabilized.