Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 or 17RTF

Danva

Do you like your RTF and would you recomend it? I am looking at getting a G17 and am looking at the RTF.

Is the finish/grip worth having or is a std 17 with grip tape just as good?

I must admit I dig the slide cuts!

Thanks

Dan C

I have a G22 RTF and love it. I think the finish is more aggressive than the newer Gen 4 finish. It allows me a more positive grip like grip/skate tape does. However, if you also use your pistol as a carry gun, it can be a little rough and snag on shirts.

I too like the slide cuts, however I think we are in the minority there as they have since gone back to a more standard vertical cut.

Love my G17RTF! BUT, I have to be careful not to let my arm rub against it walking stage to stage as it will rub a raw spot over a 3-4 hr range session. Still wouldn't trade it for another type of 17.

This is my favorite pistol right now. Fun shooting and light, great intro into production pistol that you can shoot IPSC with too.

JZ

I shoot a g34 for production and use grip tape. I got a g17rtf as a back up for competition. I ran it through a few uspsa matches and was very impressed. I got such a solid grip from the rtf texture during shooting. I still use the 34 as my primary but thought about putting a 34 top on the rtf; but did not even see if that was Ok. I change my grip tape about 2 times a year, So its not that bad. If I had my choice from the beginning, I would want the rtf. I have read alot of shooters thought the rtf was to aggressive. I cannot even fathom what they are talking about and they may not be holding the pistol like a uspsa shooter. Rtf - yes

Well, I hate to be the lone dissenting voice here, but I tested an RTF-2 for an article, and frankly I didn't particularly care for the Rough Texture Frame. It's so grippy that it actually interfered with my shifting the gun in my hand enough to reach the mag release button during a speedload. I greatly prefer the Gen-4 grip texture to RTF-2. Come to that, I greatly prefer the Gen-3 treatment to RTF-2.

Well, I hate to be the lone dissenting voice here, but I tested an RTF-2 for an article, and frankly I didn't particularly care for the Rough Texture Frame. It's so grippy that it actually interfered with my shifting the gun in my hand enough to reach the mag release button during a speedload. I greatly prefer the Gen-4 grip texture to RTF-2. Come to that, I greatly prefer the Gen-3 treatment to RTF-2.

+1 I would much rather have the gen 3 than anything else.

the whole Glock model thing can be pretty confusing, RTF, Gen 4, RTF2 whi gets what, and then the idea that it makes sense to make a certain model LE only

When I was glock shopping this last time I had gun counter commandos (always old, obese, and grumpy, but experts) tell me that there was no replaceable back strap gun, that the RTF was the Gen 4 etc)

I understand glock wanting an adjustable back strap gun but to me it didnt feel like it made a big difference

OD guns were generally only sold as an alternative when all black guns were not available. Bottom line on OD, the sales were not worth the cost to purge and clean the polymer molds for color changes and certainly did not support fabricating molds for an OD only production line (molds cost in the neighborhood of tens of thousands of dollars after all).

Same goes with factory adjustable sight guns, which have also been dropped from the product line (34/35 will continue to ship with them).

The RTF and RTF 2's are being phased out of the commercial supply chain in favor of Gen 4 guns. My prediction is that all Gen 3 guns will go away at some point in the not too distant future.

Edited by Middle Man

(molds cost in the neighborhood of tens of thousands of dollars after all).

The most commonly repeated cost estimate I have heard, from people familiar with injection molded plastics, for something like a single Glock frame mold is $60,000.

My prediction is that all Gen 3 guns will go away at some point in the not too distant future.

That depends upon your definition of "not too distant future." With current annual production around two million units, I don't think that the Gen-3 to Gen-4 changeover is going to happen overnight. My friend Jon Stein (JoninWA) predicts that we'll see both Gen-3 and Gen-4 guns appearing concurrently at least through 2011, and I don't see any reason to doubt that.

My prediction is that all Gen 3 guns will go away at some point in the not too distant future.

That depends upon your definition of "not too distant future." With current annual production around two million units, I don't think that the Gen-3 to Gen-4 changeover is going to happen overnight. My friend Jon Stein (JoninWA) predicts that we'll see both Gen-3 and Gen-4 guns appearing concurrently at least through 2011, and I don't see any reason to doubt that.

That's a reasonable prediction. Though inventory levels on certain, more popular, Gen 3 models are already quite low.

Should be noted that the RTF2's wear-in... I had the same opinion that Duane did at first with a new one, thought it was a little too sticky sometimes, it starts out really aggressive but after a little while it breaks-in nicely.

thought about putting a 34 top on the rtf; but did not even see if that was Ok.

Only if Glock offers the 34 with RTF will it be OK. I don't think they do yet...I may be wrong.

In my opinion, I think that the biggest beneficiaries of the RTF2 receiver treatment are/could be the large frame Glocks, i.e., the G21 and G20. The additional girth of these frames can make one's grip more tenuous with sweaty/wet hands. While I have absolutely no intentions of getting rid of my Gen 3 G21 (big butt and all), due to it's flawless performance to date as well as a nice personal index to me, I do think that the "best of all possible worlds" for some regarding a G21/G20 could be the current Gen 3 G21 SF in RTF2; it's in current, but apparently limited production, as it's intended to be primarily a LEO/mil gun, and has received little marketing by Glock to the civilian market. That, and/or a Gen4 G32 is my next programmed Glock acquisition.

The Gen4 receiver treatment has more muted polymids; they're larger, duller, and fewer in number, which seems to have received greater acceptance than the RTF2. Interestingly, the RTF2 polymids extend into and just over the thumb depression areas, while the Gen4 polymids do not-they stop just underneath it. While I personally prefer the polymids in the thumb area, that they're not on the Gen4s may be more acceptable, vis-a-vis the point Duane made earlier about some hand movement being ideal. The RTF2 polymids are deliberately "grabby", as the treatment was primarily intended for LEO and military gloved operators. Alternatively, if a user perceives that they're too grabby, they can be muted via light sanding (or just by getting a Gen4).

I think that the Gen4 particularly makes sense for the .40 and .357 chambered Glocks, and conceivably for the 10mm and .45 ACP and GAP models, in terms of providing better recoil absorbtion/dissipation (and platform durability), grip, and ergonomics/fit to a multitude of differing hand sizes.

Best, Jon

Edited by JonInWA

Love the RTF texture on my G19 and don't have any real problems getting to the mag release possible do to the small frame. But I would have to agree with JZ as he mentioned earlier. When I use this for carry without a shirt under it will rub you raw.

I'm sure it would wear a hole in the lining of a concealing garment in short order, as well.

This all points to that the RTF2's best/intended use is for duty/duty holster, as opposed to concealed, carry. It's also undoubtedly at least part of the reason that Glock offers it as an option, as opposed to making it the standardized treatment-and why the Gen4 is less aggressive.

Best, Jon