Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordered a CZ Shadow Target

dachness

Hey Everyone,

I placed an order for a CZ Shadow Target yesterday from CZ custom. I purchased some extra springs as well as USPSA gear. Rob was kind enough to install the new springs, 11lb recoil and 13lb main(same setup as Shadow Custom). The gun should ship out today and arrive with my FFL around Friday. Once my FFL receives it have have to submit my permit application and wait a grueling TWO WEEKS! I live in Hawaii, so we also are limited to 10 round mags. I also have a set of used CZ custom red aluminum grips I bought so once I get the gun those will go on and I will have a CZ Shadow Custom spec gun with adjustable rear sights.

This is my first center fire gun and I will be reloading for the first time. Regarding shooting in USPSA, I will most likely just shoot at my local clubs meets and not in the official USPSA matches because they are held on Sundays. I would like to get my wife involved in shooting with me so I am looking for a spare inner belt so we can share gear. I was bummed that CR speed doesn't sell just the inner belt.

As for my gear I have the following setup:

A total of 6, 10 round mags (3 used I purchased online/3 included with the gun)

CR Speed Deluxe belt 36"

Blade Tech DOH with Tek Lock

CR speed versa pouches (4)

DA Magnet (1)

For reloading I will be using a lee hand press with Hornady dies. This will be to get me started and down the road if this are going well I may upgrade to a Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive. I have 5k wolf primers, 2k Zero 125g JHP bullets. For powder I am leaning towards Ramshot Silhouette based of a friends recommendation, while still considering N320 and titegroup. For brass I expect to be getting 2 milk crates full of 9mm ammo in the next couple weeks, so I plan on shooting it and using the brass.

Daniel

Edited by dachness

Thanks guys. I am very excited. It just the kind of gun I am looking for based on what I have read. Fits the hand well, points natural, accurate, low felt recoil, reliable, a nice trigger, adjustable sights and 9mm for less recoil and cheaper reloading than .40 and .45. Its performance in Production class was also one of the deciding factors :D .

Edited by dachness

dachness,

Please let me know your thoughts after you've had a chance to shoot your Shadow Target with the 11#/13# spring-combination. I'm running my Shadow Target with the stock springs (14#/16#?), but want to look into the 11#/13# combo. For now, I'm only shooting factory loads. btw... can you confirm the stock spring weights of 14#/16# for the Target? Thanks.

Ken

Hey Everyone,

I placed an order for a CZ Shadow Target yesterday from CZ custom. I purchased some extra springs as well as USPSA gear. Rob was kind enough to install the new springs, 11lb recoil and 13lb main(same setup as Shadow Custom). The gun should ship out today and arrive with my FFL around Friday. Once my FFL receives it have have to submit my permit application and wait a grueling TWO WEEKS! I live in Hawaii, so we also are limited to 10 round mags. I also have a set of used CZ custom red aluminum grips I bought so once I get the gun those will go on and I will have a CZ Shadow Custom spec gun with adjustable rear sights.

This is my first center fire gun and I will be reloading for the first time. Regarding shooting in USPSA, I will most likely just shoot at my local clubs meets and not in the official USPSA matches because they are held on Sundays. I would like to get my wife involved in shooting with me so I am looking for a spare inner belt so we can share gear. I was bummed that CR speed doesn't sell just the inner belt.

CR Speed Deluxe belt 36"

DA Magnet (1)

For reloading I will be using a lee hand press with Hornady dies. This will be to get me started and down the road if this are going well I may upgrade to a Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive. I have 5k wolf primers, 2k Zero 125g JHP bullets. For powder I am leaning towards Ramshot Silhouette based of a friends recommendation, while still considering N320 and titegroup. For brass I expect to be getting 2 milk crates full of 9mm ammo in the next couple weeks, so I plan on shooting it and using the brass.

Daniel

Update:

My Shadow Target arrived at my FFL on Thursday. I stopped by to check it out. The trigger pull was written as 8 DA 3 SA on the testfire target. My intial impressions are the SA is very nice, once you get past all the takeup. This is my first experience with a DA gun so the DA was very stiff for me. I also noticed some stopping points when slowly pulling through DA. I am not impressed with the DA, however I have been told that dry firing and shooting the gun will solve this. I really like the sight picture. The front FO is the perfect size for me, I have read many people prefer the smaller 1.0mm FO. I have no intention of changing mine.

As far as the controlls go, the mag release is very stiff. I can't reach the slide release unless I adjust my grip.

dachness,

Please let me know your thoughts after you've had a chance to shoot your Shadow Target with the 11#/13# spring-combination. I'm running my Shadow Target with the stock springs (14#/16#?), but want to look into the 11#/13# combo. For now, I'm only shooting factory loads. btw... can you confirm the stock spring weights of 14#/16# for the Target? Thanks.

Ken

Ken,

The stock springs for a Shadow Target are 14lb recoil and 15lb main spring. I plan to shoot some factory ammo I can get for free from a family member and then I will be reloading. How are you liking your shadow so far? Do you like the wooden grips? My gun came with rubber grips, wooden ones were out of stock when I place my order. The wooden grips will be shipped to me when they arrive. I have a set of Red thin aluminum grips that I plan on using.

Edited by dachness

Dachness,

Thanks for the spring data.

- DA: This, too, is my first DA/SA gun. In short, I don't like the DA as it is stiff and long. Hence, I am considering the 13# Main. My only other handgun is a Springfield XDM, which has had a trigger job of 4# done to it.

- SA: As you said, other than the take-up, it is very, very nice. My trigger pull is 7.11# DA and 3.6# SA.

- Coco-bolo grips: It's pretty good. However, I think I'd still need to add some grip tap to the front and back straps. In addition, as I want to shoot IDPA with my Shadow, I am looking for lighter weight grips. My Shadow with a 10-round mag, sans the Coco-bolo grips, weighs 38.6oz. The search is on...

- Front Sight FO: I think I would like the 1.0mm better as that's what is on my XDM. Nonetheless, I think I'm getting used to it.

Update:

My Shadow Target arrived at my FFL on Thursday. I stopped by to check it out. The trigger pull was written as 8 DA 3 SA on the testfire target. My intial impressions are the SA is very nice, once you get past all the takeup. This is my first experience with a DA gun so the DA was very stiff for me. I also noticed some stopping points when slowly pulling through DA. I am not impressed with the DA, however I have been told that dry firing and shooting the gun will solve this. I really like the sight picture. The front FO is the perfect size for me, I have read many people prefer the smaller 1.0mm FO. I have no intention of changing mine.

As far as the controlls go, the mag release is very stiff. I can't reach the slide release unless I adjust my grip.

dachness,

Ken

Ken,

The stock springs for a Shadow Target are 14lb recoil and 15lb main spring. I plan to shoot some factory ammo I can get for free from a family member and then I will be reloading. How are you liking your shadow so far? Do you like the wooden grips? My gun came with rubber grips, wooden ones were out of stock when I place my order. The wooden grips will be shipped to me when they arrive. I have a set of Red thin aluminum grips that I plan on using.

Shadow Target is a pretty cool gun

a little more love on that trigger can get it to 5# =/- for the DA and 2# SA.

eerw,

I intend to get as close as I can to that 5#da/2#sa. I will be using wolf primers. I have 3 spare 13lb main springs(13lb currently installed) and an extra trigger return spring. From my understanding I need to polish all contacting areas relating to the trigger pull. Then after that experiment with clipping the main spring and reducing the trigger return spring.

CZ customs sells a extended firing pin for the Shadow. Would you reccomend installing it?

I would appreciate any guidance you could give to achieve a 5#da/2#sa.

Thanks,

Daniel

That's great. For me, as a novice shooter, I'd be ecstatic to have a 6# DA and my current 3.7# SA, but with less take-up. Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Though, I do realize that shooting factory loads may not help much in my case.

Shadow Target is a pretty cool gun

a little more love on that trigger can get it to 5# =/- for the DA and 2# SA.

Hey Everyone,

CR Speed Deluxe belt 36"

DA Magnet (1)

Daniel

Will you be shooting with MPPL? We have a 101 class Aug 22 or an earlier match on Aug 8. If so I'll see you there! I usually shoot Limited, but production sometimes with my sp-01.

PM me if you have any questions.

Your Shadow will have to weight 39.00 ounces or less for IDPA. Good luck. My Shadow custom cannot make it. Its about 38 oz without grips or a Mag inserted. IDPA hates steel pistols with light rails.

I have been thinking of upgrading to a Shadow later on this year. I shoot IDPA alot and occasionaly USPSA. Show us a few pics if you can. Thanks.

Jason :ph34r:

Will you be shooting with MPPL? We have a 101 class Aug 22 or an earlier match on Aug 8. If so I'll see you there! I usually shoot Limited, but production sometimes with my sp-01.

PM me if you have any questions.

I intend to only shoot on Saturdays. I am considering shooting with honolulurhatrhatboyz and/or MPPL. Do you attend the Saturday night matches?

I have been thinking of upgrading to a Shadow later on this year. I shoot IDPA alot and occasionaly USPSA. Show us a few pics if you can. Thanks.

Here are some quick low quality photos I took from my phone while at the FFL. I will take better ones when I have the gun at home. As a note, the gun came with rubber grips, wood were out of stock and will be sent to me when they arrive.

img0749g.th.jpg

img0751fj.th.jpg

Edited by dachness

Looks sweet! Thanks for the pics.

Your Shadow will have to weight 39.00 ounces or less for IDPA. Good luck. My Shadow custom cannot make it. Its about 38 oz without grips or a Mag inserted. IDPA hates steel pistols with light rails.

Yep. I am all too familiar with the weight limit. I had to do some lightweight parts swaping and put new grips on my SP-01 Tactical before it was legal. I have been shooting with it for 18 months now with over 12k rounds through it.

I wonder if you could trim some off the light rails to help it make weight? If not for SSP, but ESP.

FWIW... my recently acquired Shadow Target, from CZ Custom, weighs 38.6 oz sans grip, with the aluminum magazine brake, and with the 10-rd magazine. Thus, I have 0.4 oz left for new grips. I have placed an order with Marschal Grips for a pair of their light-weight grips, and have asked Dennis to "shave-off" the checkered areas to accommodate grip tape. I think after it's all said and done, my Shadow should be right at 39 oz. It's possible that it may weigh 39.01 oz -- depending on the scale used. :o)

In addition, just got home from the range. I've been shooting better with my 1-week old Shadow Target than with my Springfield XDM 9mm. Of course, I'm still in my 3rd week of handgun ownership. Trying to get better in a hurry.

tie a balloon to the trigger guard and call it part of the gun. That should buy you some weight. :cheers::roflol:

Yeah I tried it and the mylar balloons kept reflecting some clowns face. :devil: