Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick shotgun gear questions

Tim James

I'll be honest with you, I just don't feel like spending an hour researching 3-gun accessories. Does anyone know who makes the 4-shell holders in these weak hand reloading tutorial videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU5dsnBsxXs

What is the best 870 side saddle for a left handed shooter? It looks like some of them are so long they would get in the way of my fingers. I am looking for a couple of shells on the gun for quick weak hand reloads, whereas most of the ammo will be on my belt. At least that's what I'll be trying out first.

I don't think Choate makes the 4 shell holders, only 6 shell IIRC. I think there are also ones made by Progressive Machine? I use the California comp works and like them, I also have the choate and they work but I found myself favoring the 4 shell holders. I don't have much experience with the other makers but have heard only good things about all of them.

I'll be honest with you, I just don't feel like spending an hour researching 3-gun accessories. Does anyone know who makes the 4-shell holders in these weak hand reloading tutorial videos?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wU5dsnBsxXs

What is the best 870 side saddle for a left handed shooter? It looks like some of them are so long they would get in the way of my fingers. I am looking for a couple of shells on the gun for quick weak hand reloads, whereas most of the ammo will be on my belt. At least that's what I'll be trying out first.

Tac Star 4

Team Noveske, Chris Patty, and I all use the Man Mountain carrier. Forum dealer CPWSA (Chris) has a bunch of them in stock in preparation for the PanAm shotgun match. I like them because I can get 6 on my belt where only 5 CCWs will fit. They are also very durable and the metal belt loops are made specifically for the size of a CR speed belt.

shotgun noob mini-hi-jack: Is there really a difference between teh $24 CCW carriers and the $45-$50 Otto/progressive machine/mountain man eng?

Where weight and space are at a premium YES, when your fat like me and can get 7 carriers between your hips with no problems, no.

shotgun noob mini-hi-jack: Is there really a difference between teh $24 CCW carriers and the $45-$50 Otto/progressive machine/mountain man eng?

The real difference is in the retention device. It becomes noticeable when you are trying to really get smooth and fast with your reloads. I tried some of the Otto's recently, I currently use the CCW's and bought them due to the price about 4 years ago. When you grab and strip them fast out of the CCW's each shell bounces of the 2 retaining wires and can cause some fumbling and a dropped shell every now and them when trying to move quickly. The Otto's and Progressive don't have this issue and when you grab them, they come off real smooth. Almost too smooth for a guy used to the CCW's. The CCW's have served me well at their price.

HERE I AM, ANOTHER 3 GUNNER WHO IS GOING TO BE RE-BUYING / UPGRADING A PRODUCT.

Jay

The real difference is in the retention device. It becomes noticeable when you are trying to really get smooth and fast with your reloads. I tried some of the Otto's recently, I currently use the CCW's and bought them due to the price about 4 years ago. When you grab and strip them fast out of the CCW's each shell bounces of the 2 retaining wires and can cause some fumbling and a dropped shell every now and them when trying to move quickly. The Otto's and Progressive don't have this issue and when you grab them, they come off real smooth. Almost too smooth for a guy used to the CCW's. The CCW's have served me well at their price.

HERE I AM, ANOTHER 3 GUNNER WHO IS GOING TO BE RE-BUYING / UPGRADING A PRODUCT.

Jay

guess i need to try them to see if there is a difference. I picked up a few CCWs on the cheap and they seem to be fine for me for now (new 3-gunner). makes sense about the shells hitting the wires vs the smooth plate on some other designs. maybe ill just stick with the cheaper CCWs for now until i gain enough ability to notice a major difference ;)

$45-50 is pretty steep since I am just doing local matches for fun, but I might try out one of the premium brands to go along with my two 6-shell CCW carriers. I have a little time and money to experiment. It will be a birthday present anyway. (I believe I got 3-gun gear for my birthday last year too; I'm glad I have at least one hobby that provides a few gift ideas!)

Good point about space being a premium. I am left eyed but right handed, so on multigun stages I will have my handgun on my right hip and my shotgun on my left shoulder. I won't have any room to put caddies around my right hip.

And thanks for the tip on the velcro side saddle. I couldn't figure out the right keywords for those. That's what I wanted. I don't want too much weight on the gun loading weak hand because uh... I'm still rocking the stock Wal-Mart 28" barrel or whatever it is. :blush:

I have 4 MME carriers, 2 PM cariers, and 6 CCW carriers. Sometime soon I plan to add OTTO carriers to the SG Bag of goodies. Their differences include: manufacturing material is either molded plastic or metal, belt loops or tek-lok, retention devise, and width 23/4 or 3" - some of the older CCW carriers came with spacers. The real problem with a 3" carrier is that we typically do not use 3" shells so the spacer needs to be in the carrier to keep the shells retained from dropping out while moving. Here is what has changed for me.... I have added a Safariland ELS belt and modular carrier system to my equipment list. The MME and CCW carriers now each have a locking fork snap so that I can put them on or take them off the belt with a simple "click". As far as functionality of the carriers...its all about the same when it comes down to it.

Where are these 2 3/4" CCWs with a locking fork snap?

tim

you can get them straight from safariland the part # is str-tac4bka-01 i just sent them 100 w/els plate they will put the quick change forks or the snap on belt attachment i think will allow the end user cant the tac-stripper, 6 rd version in the works!

btw same bolt pattern as the tek-lok.

• 5 months later...

shotgun noob mini-hijack: Is there really a difference between the $24 CCW carriers and the $45-$50 Mark Otto/Progressive Machine/Mountain Man Engineering versions?

The real difference is in the retention device. It becomes noticeable when you are trying to really get smooth and fast with your reloads. I tried some of the Ottos recently, I currently use the CCWs and bought them due to the price about 4 years ago. When you grab and strip them fast out of the CCWs, each shell bounces off the 2 retaining wires and can cause some fumbling and a dropped shell every now and then when trying to move quickly. The Ottos and Progressives don't have this issue and when you grab them, they come off real smooth. Almost too smooth for a guy used to the CCWs.

Thanks for the comparison

Team Noveske, Chris Patty, and I all use the Man Mountain carrier. Forum dealer CPWSA (Chris) has a bunch of them in stock in preparation for the PanAm shotgun match. I like them because I can get 6 on my belt where only 5 CCWs will fit. They are also very durable and the metal belt loops are made specifically for the size of a CR speed belt.

Yup:

NOVESKE SHOOTING TEAM GEAR

Look under Misc Equipment

ETA: Oops, didn't check how old this thread was.

Edited by Engineer