Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pointers wanted please!

Stradawhovious

Well, I've been practicing, and practicing, and getting tons of trigger time. For the first time in a match I felt that I shot it to the absolute best of my abilities. :goof:

Now, to make my best better. In your collective seasoned opinion, what should I be focusing on?

Thanks in advance for humoring my incessant buzzing questions.

Here is a clip of the run.

Looks good to me also. Excellent transitions from target to target, great job rapping down the steel. I did notice a little hesitation right after you shoot the 6th round and before you start into your reload--it's almost like you feel the need to get your reload started before you begin to start moving to the next array. In general, I think you will make up more time getting those feet moving faster than anything you're doing with the gun.

Sometime just for kicks you might want to give the weak-hand reload a try. In the purest of all worlds it is not necessarily faster, but I do think keeping the gun in your strong hand helps keep it oriented to the shooter in a more natural way--and you can reload faster when you're not having to constantly worry about muzzle direction, y'know? Your safety habits look excellent, by the way.

Your basic shooting skills are solid. Now you need to focus on those areas where you can start molding shooting time and moving time together. On most of the arrays in the vid you are moving to a spot, shooting, then moving to the next spot. On the first array, draw and shoot moving into the targets, and then away from the array on the way to the second array. Reload, (gun up coming into the array) and start shooting the second array the instant you are in the right place. Step out and away from the array while shooting the last target in the second array. Reload and start taking steel while moving into position on the steel array. Step out and start moving away from the DT while shooting it. Reload and plant in the last shooting spot with the gun already up and start shooting the instant the first target's A zone is available.

Picture shooting time and moving time as two different horizontal lines of equal length. The more you shoot while moving the more the two lines overlap. The final length of the combined two lines is your overall shooting time for the stage. Combining the two lines is the key to shortening your stage times.

Shooting speed was good. How were your hits? I have gotten lazy over the years and do not attack the courses anymore,(:() I should. You are reloaded by the time you get to the next position, but you need to move to the position faster and make yourself reload as quick as you can get there. We are only talking about maybe 2 tenths of second over the stage you shot though as there was no large movement. Good shooting!! later rdd

Thanks for the advice so far...... Good stuff! KeEp it coming!

Sorry for not posting my hits...... I guess that's as important as anything else, huh?

14 alphas, 6 charlies and 3 delta. HF - 5.3419

Not perfect, but For me it's far from terrible.

work eliminating the Deltas and try to get your feet a bit faster. Looked pretty darn good to me tho!

I agree with Corey, a half a second slower but turn the 3 Deltas into an A and two Charlies will increase your score by about 4%. But a hit factor above a 5 is very good. Later rdd

Not much more I can add other than it looked real good.

Is this from last Thursday's match? If so, looking at the scores, you're shooting 67% overall for the match. That's excellent. Feels pretty good to beat a bunch of bottom feeders, doesn't it?

I'd join you guys but getting to Oakdale on a weeknight just plain sucks for me. It'd almost be easier for me to go around the metro area and come in from Wisconsin. :lol:

Is this from last Thursday's match? If so, looking at the scores, you're shooting 67% overall for the match. That's excellent. Feels pretty good to beat a bunch of bottom feeders, doesn't it?

Yep, it's from last Thursday. I have vids of all the other runs too,which I'm equally thrilled with, but i think this one is hhe cleanest of the bunch. It was really nice to feel that confident in my runs, and really surprising to see the scores when they were posted........ The only issue is that I dont want to be surprised by good performance, I want it to be common place. (yeah, I know....... Who doesnt, right?)

It would be nice to have you out there, especially with your revo. Last week was the first time it was more than just me on the wheel gun! But I know what you mean with 694, 494 and 94 all torn up, it's like sitting in a parking lot for hours.

And yes, it does feel good to beat a bunch of bottom feeders. :)

For those of you recommending faster/more movement, any thoughts on how to practice for this? (other than dropping a few hundred pounds that is....)

For those of you recommending faster/more movement, any thoughts on how to practice for this? (other than dropping a few hundred pounds that is....)

Strad Like me you seem to be easing into taking off. As the distances are so short the take off and entering into the area ready to shoot is about the only thing that will decrease your time. Maybe a longer stride, but for sure a quick step. When I used to wrestle (yes the Cromagnam team was a stout team), we used to do a drop step to get moving quickly. This may or may not help, but is very easily practiced with or without the revo in hand. Just a thought. later rdd

Picture shooting time and moving time as two different horizontal lines of equal length. The more you shoot while moving the more the two lines overlap. The final length of the combined two lines is your overall shooting time for the stage. Combining the two lines is the key to shortening your stage times.

Thats the best piece of advice I've read in a long time.

Thanks

Box practice drills. Fire four rounds from a box, move and reload and fire four from a second box. Set the boses vertical, angeled, and horizontal to the targets. The Key is to learn how to leave the box and enter the box while engaging the targets.

I also went back and watched the vid again a couple of times. Cutting down on your reload time is going to really come to play in combining moving and shooting. Perfecting a fast weak hand reload may very well be what you need to do to start encompassing some of the moving and shooting into your game. For the shorter distances, it will definately come into play.

I'm not sure I would try to encompass drop-step take off's into your movements just yet. I would focus on smooth and quick reloads, gun up when entering and exiting positions, and intrigrating shooting while entering and leaving shooting locations.

Looking good!! I did notice a big hesitation after your last shot until the start of your reload. improve on that and you will save time. Have the gun up and shooting as you come to the shooting area. Other than that, some movement drills to get your feet moving a little quicker.

Hi:

Hit factor of 5. That puts you solidly in C class. Damn that Jerry Miculek and others.

I'm there too.

Everything looks smooth and solid. You just need to double your score.

I've concluded accuracy is one way but not enough. Time is the other bigger factor.

One A per second is a HF of 5. Two As per second is a HF of 10 and I think this is the goal.

Following that reasoning I've switched to minor. An A is still and A and my times are getting faster.

But as I watch the masters shoot, the front sight doesn't bounce AT ALL when they shoot.

That lets them shoot fast. I haven't figured that one out just yet.

Still working on it.

I had one of my revolvers Carmonized. The hope that should speed the shots up and reduce the front sight bouncing.

Good luck.

gm

That puts you solidly in C class.

I'd say that was well above a C-class performance for Revolver Division.

But as I watch the masters shoot, the front sight doesn't bounce AT ALL when they shoot.

The better shooters know they have to hang onto the gun good and hard! None of this "handshake" crap they tell you....grip that bitch!!!

I had one of my revolvers Carmonized. The hope that should speed the shots up and reduce the front sight bouncing.

Smart man! :D

I’m gearing up for the Area 3 championship match, which will also be my first USPSA match. So, it’s good to see some video of what a hit factor of 5 looks like with a wheel gun. That run seemed really solid to me! I'm getting the impression that movement efficiency is primarily what separates Masters from the rest.

Hi:

Hit factor of 5. That puts you solidly in C class. Damn that Jerry Miculek and others.

I'm there too.

Everything looks smooth and solid. You just need to double your score.

I've concluded accuracy is one way but not enough. Time is the other bigger factor.

One A per second is a HF of 5. Two As per second is a HF of 10 and I think this is the goal.

Following that reasoning I've switched to minor. An A is still and A and my times are getting faster.

Still working on it.

Good luck.

gm

Recoil always seems to be less when watching others, don't sweat that. My sights bounce all over the place, but I'm still waiting on my finger by the time they settle.

H.

Dude you'd spank me like a step child and leave me crying. That was a solid run if you had decent hits.

I'd say the only thing holding you back is like others have said, start your move quicker, move faster, start shooting on the move whenever possible, and turn some D's and C's into A's. You're already way ahead of me.