Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not getting enough sleep

Pro2AInPA

Shot a match yesterday on 4.5 hours of sleep and it was 90+ degrees and humid.

I didn't think the day went that badly, until I saw the scores. I finished 5th of 7, which is far worse than I should have.

When I watched the videos of my shooting for the day, I can tell just from watching that I'm running MUCH slower than normal, my splits are slower, and my transitions are slower.

I need to get a full night's rest before matches. I don't drive an hour and pay $20 to finish 5/7.

Lesson learned. Go to bed on time on match night. :angry:

Edited by Pro2AInPA

I didn't attend a match today for that very reason. I've been out of town all week and got in last night. I'd have had to pack then drive about an hour and a half to get to the club.

Of course I'm torn. I'm not happy I didn't get to shoot (two missed matches in the last two weekends) but I know I'd have done about like you and not shot up to what little potential I have.

Either way I'm not happy.

I guess everyone is different, I have went to several matches on just 2 hours sleep. Including a state match where I placed 3rd B class in Limited. I was tired but I guess the adrenaline gave me enough focus to do well. There's just something about shooting that gets me going no matter how tired I am. :ph34r:

My fellow shooters and I always seem to end up drinking ourselfs stupid the night before a match. I guess it is just being away from home and with the guys. There has even been a match where I shot Friday and stayed up all night just to return at the range @ 7:30 to be an RO. ZERO sleep. Then again, I did meet a very attractive waitress that night. I will leave the rest up to your imagination..:D

I found the more I stay away from the "home crowd" and shoot with a squad of complete strangers...I perform better.

I made the mistake of not getting enough (3-4 hours) sleep two nights in a row last week for our sectional match. I felt sluggish and my times showed. I still won my class, but I feel I would have probably come in 3rd or 4th overall in production had I been as fast/alert as I should have been.

Today I decided to skip a match because it is a 2 1/2 hour drive and I would have only gotten about 4 hours sleep. I decided it wasn't worth spending $100 + for ammo, match fee, and gas just to be exhausted all day.

I seem to have to opposite problem. I am a firefigter and half the time I am up all night before I shoot my local match. Strange thing is I have most of the time done better on these matches than if I was at home the night before.

Jason :ph34r:

I need sleep before shooting, and unfortunately I usually don't get it. When I've gotten 8 hours in before a match, I do far better. My stage breakdown is what suffers from no sleep. When I'm actually shooting and a little adrenaline is pumping, I'm fine, but without sleep I just don't have the energy to come up with a good plan...I can still do well on the quick hoser stages when I'm tired though.

I seem to have to opposite problem. I am a firefigter and half the time I am up all night before I shoot my local match. Strange thing is I have most of the time done better on these matches than if I was at home the night before.

Jason :ph34r:

I normally work evening and night / 16 hrs shift every friday, the local club here in my area do a great 6 stage saturday am IDPA. erlier this month I went there after my work, I been placing excuses beforehand to my friends that I might mess this up because I didnt sleep yet for more than 24 hrs. much to my surprise Im playing with pure adrenalin . I only mess up one stage gaining 1 procedural but I finished 3rd out of 60+ shooter , and claimed my first big match division champion.

I need to get a full night's rest before matches. I don't drive an hour and pay $20 to finish 5/7.

Lesson learned. Go to bed on time on match night. :angry:

ive heard that you have minimal sleep just one night it wont hurt you that much but what you want to avoid is missing sleep more than one night because the cumulative effect of a couple days minimal sleep WILL effect your mental performance

• 3 weeks later...