Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stage -VS- Progressive

MattMo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started with a 550 and have never looked back. I can / do load 4 pistol calibers and 1 rifle caliber. Conversion are simple. Having to manually index the machine means I take the time to check each shell after the powder drop / before I seat the bullet (this helps eliminate the squib / double charge issue with a manually indexing press). Slowest loading (taking extreme / ridiculous care is about 200 - 250 / hour). You can easily get 350-400 / hour after a few loading sessions. When you figure in you time, you make the money back fairly quickly over the single stage presses...

Get the 550. I've loaded hundred of thousands of rounds without the auto-index of a 650 and haven't loaded a double charge yet. Blaming a reloader for a double charge is like blaming a gun for a murder.

The 550 is easier to learn with and easier to change calibers with. I've taught brand new reloaders on this machine and never had a problem. If you want to upgrade after learning how to reload, you can either keep the 550 as a secondary caliber reloading machine or sell it. I've never seen a used 550 not get bought almost instantly.

BTW, 650's have their issues too. They like to explode primer tubes. Different mechanism on the 550 and not prone to the hole-in-the-ceiling experience.

I taught my son to reload on a Hornady Lock-N-Load. Looking at it as a newbie I noticed how clean and uncluttered it was. We could easily watch and adjust, if needed, each step. There are no cramped quarters or such. I had used Hornady progressives since the 70s (Pro 7 or something like that). It was the first 5-station press that was affordable. Never regretted it and certainly never had blue-envy. Worked with the 550 and 650 that friends had and didn't like them as well. Part is you like what you are used to and part is the Dillons just felt cramped and uncomfortable/unergonomic to me. One thing I have noticed--the Dillon users have seldom if ever actually used another brand of progressive.

I know that the Hornady L-N-L caliber conversion is cheaper and faster than the Dillons and I know that I have had fewer priming problems with my Hornday then I had with the Blue models.

Everyone looking for some facts and analysis should read: http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

I currently have three Dillon presses and my son has my old Hornady. My presses are NOT blue. Depending on you how look at them, they are either 6- or 8-station presses. Two RL1050s (I think) and one Super1050.

The great thing is when I have a problem, and I have had problems with the three Dillons, the factory/store is just 2 hours away.

If the Hornady had 6 die stations, I would probably still be using the Hornady.

Get the 550. I've loaded hundred of thousands of rounds without the auto-index of a 650 and haven't loaded a double charge yet. Blaming a reloader for a double charge is like blaming a gun for a murder.

The 550 is easier to learn with and easier to change calibers with. I've taught brand new reloaders on this machine and never had a problem. If you want to upgrade after learning how to reload, you can either keep the 550 as a secondary caliber reloading machine or sell it. I've never seen a used 550 not get bought almost instantly.

BTW, 650's have their issues too. They like to explode primer tubes. Different mechanism on the 550 and not prone to the hole-in-the-ceiling experience.

+ 1 you would have to "NOT" be paying attention when reloading and I think the only difference between the 650 & 550 is auto indexing! Not saying not to get the 650 or 1050 but why spend all the money on eather of those two when you can spend it on your components you are going to need and you can never have enough components! The more the marryer!!!

I had 2 XL650's and the LNL and decided I only needed two loaders. I sold an XL650.

I've loaded on a SDB, 550, 650 and a Super 1050. I own what I like XL650. I also own a Hornady LNL. Is it as good as the Dillon, yes, is it better, well at some things it is and some things it isn't. Its like the classic argument between a Ford and a Chevy.

With the .223 I think I would do the LNL without the case feeder. In fact I don't only think it that is what I use when I load my .223. 38 Super Comps on the Dillon, 9 major on the LNL, 45 LNL, 40's on the Dillon, 30 Carbine on the LNL, and so on, I have the parts to load all on either one. The Dillon stays set up for one caliber that I load consistently over time, the Hornady is easy to change and like mentioned has lots of open space its simple to setup and adjust, so it gets all the smaller batches aka I run a 1000 45's a couple times a year, and a 1000 9 mm minor etc. The Dillon does about 500 38 Supers every week year round.

Price wise you can start off with the LNL for less money, last time I was in Cabellas they had them on the shelf for $329 (I think it was fathers day). The LNL powder measure is the best, no contest. iF you add a case feeder later you are at the same price point with the XL650 so roll the die flip the coin just get one and get started, those two are the best on the market. If you go Dillon get it from BE.

I had 2 XL650's and the LNL and decided I only needed two loaders. I sold an XL650.

I've loaded on a SDB, 550, 650 and a Super 1050. I own what I like XL650. I also own a Hornady LNL. Is it as good as the Dillon, yes, is it better, well at some things it is and some things it isn't. Its like the classic argument between a Ford and a Chevy.

With the .223 I think I would do the LNL without the case feeder. In fact I don't only think it that is what I use when I load my .223. 38 Super Comps on the Dillon, 9 major on the LNL, 45 LNL, 40's on the Dillon, 30 Carbine on the LNL, and so on, I have the parts to load all on either one. The Dillon stays set up for one caliber that I load consistently over time, the Hornady is easy to change and like mentioned has lots of open space its simple to setup and adjust, so it gets all the smaller batches aka I run a 1000 45's a couple times a year, and a 1000 9 mm minor etc. The Dillon does about 500 38 Supers every week year round.

Price wise you can start off with the LNL for less money, last time I was in Cabellas they had them on the shelf for $329 (I think it was fathers day). The LNL powder measure is the best, no contest. iF you add a case feeder later you are at the same price point with the XL650 so roll the die flip the coin just get one and get started, those two are the best on the market. If you go Dillon get it from BE.

I PICK CHEVY! Lol... I just left from there and had a classic for 99.99! But I still would go 550! What ever press you decide, again you will love the hobby.

I bought a used single stage press, reloaded about 50 rounds on it and dumped it for a Hornady Lock 'n' Load. The only way I'd go with a single stage is if money was VERY tight. If you're loading in any kind of volume, go for the LnL or the 650. The LnL vs 650 is close, they each have their good points. The LnL is cheaper to get started with, but once you add the case feeder, cost is about the same.

Lee Classic is a good entry level press. It's the cheapest option and although I like it I would not recommend it for you.

550 is a great press. Don't worry for a second about the lack of auto indexing.

SDB is a good press. It's tiny. I don't like that you can't add a roller handle. I don't like the size. I don't like much about it. But it works.

LnL is a good press. I have fiddled with my friends. It's a quality machine. I don't like the workflow of it with out a casefeeder. Loading your cases and bullets from the same side (left) is just odd. 550 loads bullets from the left and cases from the right. You do both at the same time Press + Casefeeder cost is about the same as a 650.

650, I have never used one. People love them. It's proably your safest first choice if your willing to get the casefeeder at the same time.

I have a 550. I am probably going to get a 1050 for my match ammo and never convert it. 550 will be for my .380 and 10mm toys. I can load 100 rds in 8 mins on my 550 so it's plenty fast for me. It takes a wehile to get to that type of speed. It's all about the system you use while you load. Its no less safe to load at that speed then going a little slower. 100 in 10 mins at a relaxed pace and the speed I normally load at with my 550.

Yeah, looks like I'm going to do some research into the LnL, 550, & 650. They all look like great presses, but they are definitely pushing the top end of what I was hoping to spend. Any place that deals in used presses? I will be keeping an eye on my local Craigslist.

Thanks for all the great info you all provided.

I have had the SDB since 95 and load 9mm and .45 ACP. It doesn't take long to switch calibers, I make a run of 9 or .45 until I have enough. Right now I seem to be keeping it on .45. I use a single stage for .223 but that may change in the future, if I ever go to 3 gun.

I have had the SDB since 95 and load 9mm and .45 ACP. It doesn't take long to switch calibers, I make a run of 9 or .45 until I have enough. Right now I seem to be keeping it on .45. I use a single stage for .223 but that may change in the future, if I ever go to 3 gun.

If you go 3 gun will you change & up grade your press?

@ Mattmo ain't nothing like the new press smell! @ cabela's I seen the classicLNL on sail and I seen it also with the ready to load stuff all you might have to do is probably get your dies and powder tumbler media sifter or rotating cage polish gage calipers... Orrrrrrrr! You can get the Never loaded befor" package for about lil over 1K ! But I'm sure you read the faq's!

@ Mattmo ain't nothing like the new press smell! @ cabela's I seen the classicLNL on sail and I seen it also with the ready to load stuff all you might have to do is probably get your dies and powder tumbler media sifter or rotating cage polish gage calipers... Orrrrrrrr! You can get the Never loaded befor" package for about lil over 1K ! But I'm sure you read the faq's!

I was thinking about a 550 or 650. I have all of the other stuff (dies,swage,tumbler,sifter,gauges,and calipers). For the most part I load for rifle in the winter when I have the time. I would probably keep loading pistol on the SDB if I got the 550 or 650.

I was thinking about a 550 or 650. I have all of the other stuff (dies,swage,tumbler,sifter,gauges,and calipers). For the most part I load for rifle in the winter when I have the time. I would probably keep loading pistol on the SDB if I got the 550 or 650.

Nice! I would keep the SDB too, I load my ammo on a 550 and love it! I been loading for a few months and I don't see how people can double charge on the 550 if you ar paying attention, the only time I would use a single stage press if I was to load my .40 cal and I came across that "Glock buldge" problem, but I haven't came across that rumor, the 550 has a case feed that I might get way later on down the line. Your new too! Welcome if I haven't welcome you already! Do you belong to a club?

Yeah, looks like I'm going to do some research into the LnL, 550, & 650. They all look like great presses, but they are definitely pushing the top end of what I was hoping to spend. Any place that deals in used presses? I will be keeping an eye on my local Craigslist.

Look on EBAY. That's where I bought my 550.

Out of curiosity what was the price tag and did it come with dies?

Out of curiosity what was the price tag and did it come with dies?

IIRC, I got it for $600 with 3 tool heads, 41mag, 30-06, 38 spl dies, beam scale, hand primer, 10 large & small primer pick up tubes, brass primer flip tray, an assortment of different powder funnels, low primer warning buzzer, Dillon bench wrench, and a spare parts kit. There might have been other stuff as well, but it's been a while. Bear in mind, mine was used, not new.

I taught my son on my old (~3 years) Hornady L-N-L AP (I have been using a Hornady AP since at least 1980, if not a bit earlier).

Looking at it with "fresh eyes," I was impressed with how open it is and simple. I have loaded on a 650, and I found it uncomfortable. As I told one gentlemen looking to buy a 650, "you'll really be happier if you buy the case feeder."

With the Hornady, you have room, you can see what is happening, your left hand handles bullets and cases and your right hand cranks the handle. I found it very easy to teach my son and we had no problems. I like the fact that the bullet seating station 4 is right under your nose so there is no excuse not to look in the case as you place a bullet on it. The primer system only had one problem--it didn't feed the very last primer very well. Now, they come with a follower, I heard, like Dillon. I told my son to order a follower from Dillon.

Compared to my 1050s, it was very insensitive to a little dirt or powder spill. Caliber conversions are less expensive than Dillons, and teh conversions seem to be faster to complete than my memory of the 650.

You also get 500 free bullets if you buy it new. The new ejector looks like a real winner (the older L-N-L used a bent wire and I could never get the damn thing to work and it kept interfering with the crimp dies. I never needed though as it is just as simple to place the bullet, flip the loaded round off, and inert a new case.

The only Dillon press I am really impressed with is the 1050 and it is NOT a beginner's machine or one to use if you want to change calibers frequently. It is for loading several thousand rounds before a caliber change, if ever, and you find the only thing slowing you down is that the primer feed keeps running out of primers.

I have never used a Lee or RCBS AP, but in the past they never looked that impressive.

You may think your 650 is better, but have you actually spent time on a Hornady? The only negative might be that it is red like another brand (or at least I think it is, being color blind and all)...

just to chime in,

I started with a rockchucker, 100 rounds an hour gets real old real fast in this game

move up to a dillon 450, think of it as a 550 minus the removable tool head, and life was good,

I now use a 650 with most of the bells and whistles.

if I were to start all over, especially if I'm teaching a new reloader, I'd get a 550.

the 650 is a great press for an experienced reloader, but I feel there's just too much going on at once for a brand new one.

with the 550, you can use it like a turret press, that is put 1 shell in, re-size and prime, rotate, bell/powder drop,rotate, check for powder, seat bullet, rotate, crimp rotate.

start all over, this way each shell gets individual attention to make sure YOU got it right. after doing this a couple hundred times, you'll get the idea what YOU have to do at each station.

then you can start loading progressively, you'll the same thing as above, except you'll have 4 shell on the plate at once. shoot for 200 rounds an hour,as you confidence increases, so will you speed. with my old 450, I could load 100 rounds in 10 minutes, around 500 rounds an hour

just to chime in,

I started with a rockchucker, 100 rounds an hour gets real old real fast in this game

move up to a dillon 450, think of it as a 550 minus the removable tool head, and life was good,

I now use a 650 with most of the bells and whistles.

if I were to start all over, especially if I'm teaching a new reloader, I'd get a 550.

the 650 is a great press for an experienced reloader, but I feel there's just too much going on at once for a brand new one.

with the 550, you can use it like a turret press, that is put 1 shell in, re-size and prime, rotate, bell/powder drop,rotate, check for powder, seat bullet, rotate, crimp rotate.

start all over, this way each shell gets individual attention to make sure YOU got it right. after doing this a couple hundred times, you'll get the idea what YOU have to do at each station.

then you can start loading progressively, you'll the same thing as above, except you'll have 4 shell on the plate at once. shoot for 200 rounds an hour,as you confidence increases, so will you speed. with my old 450, I could load 100 rounds in 10 minutes, around 500 rounds an hour

+1 , I'm a newbie and I enjoy my 550, its basic but later will add the bell and the whistle... Not bad 500 an hour!

I talked with a few people at the range last night about reloading and one guy is looking to upgrade to a 650, so looks like I'll be buying his used 550! He's gathering a list of all the goodies and determining a price for me. I'm pretty excited. :cheers:

I had these same questions about a year ago. i had strongly considered a Lee Turret. i also had extra credit card rewards for Cabelas. after much research i got the Hornady lock n load AP. i have not one regret for going progressive at the start. if i hadnt, i probably wohld have by now and spent a lot of extra money in the process.

Hornady lnl or 650 would be my votes.

I talked with a few people at the range last night about reloading and one guy is looking to upgrade to a 650, so looks like I'll be buying his used 550! He's gathering a list of all the goodies and determining a price for me. I'm pretty excited. :cheers:

Have no fear of buying them used. If (and that's a big IF!) they wear out, Dillon will make it good. The 550 is an excellent first loader, does rifle, and is pretty upgradeable.

Have no fear of buying them used. If (and that's a big IF!) they wear out, Dillon will make it good. The 550 is an excellent first loader, does rifle, and is pretty upgradeable.

Yeah, I'm not worried at all. This guy takes care of his stuff and he says that the 550 is still in excellent condition.

If I start with the 550, I'm really not going to miss all the bells and whistles of the LnL or 650, cause I've never used them! I'm sure I'll upgrade one day, but this one will last me quite a while.