Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stage -VS- Progressive

MattMo

I've recently started shooting USPSA and I've discovered that I really need to start reloading.

I asked around at my club and half the guys recommended starting with a single stage press (like an RCBS Rock Chucker). The other half recommended jumping in with a Dillon 550 or Lee Loadmaster.

I know the basics about reloading. I've never actually reloaded though. I have no clue what equipment I need to start, but before I can start researching, I'd like to know what you'd recommend: Single Stage or Progressive for a brand new reloader?

Thanks!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about both? Try a lee turret, it is in between the single stage and the progressive. You can run it as a single stage and then progress to using the auto index function and really crank out some rounds. I can load about 400 rounds an hour on my Dillon Square deal "B" and I can load about 150 rounds an hour with my Lee turret. I love my Dillon, but I'm glad I learned on my turret press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=622290

Just add a set of dies and your in business.

I've recently started shooting USPSA and I've discovered that I really need to start reloading.

I asked around at my club and half the guys recommended starting with a single stage press (like an RCBS Rock Chucker). The other half recommended jumping in with a Dillon 550 or Lee Loadmaster.

I know the basics about reloading. I've never actually reloaded though. I have no clue what equipment I need to start, but before I can start researching, I'd like to know what you'd recommend: Single Stage or Progressive for a brand new reloader?

Thanks!

1st of all,shooting competition you got ta practice for the competition and there is the actual competition then you gotta think how much you will be shooting and how many calibers? I am a newbie to reloading what do i know? I know its addictive and I just wonna load and not stop loading! I am using a RL550B from Brian Enos I went with that model cause I plan on loading rifle more than 1 caliber and I can run it like a single stage press! Those are my reasons why I chose progressive loader and you might wonna look into a 550, and if you look through brian enos web site they have "QUESTIONS & FACTS" read on be for you choose. You might wonna look @ BRIANENOS.COM they have the "EZ BUY Package" that comes with every thing you need to start loading! Dillon presses are backed by their no bs warranty and they keep or hold their value and that's what I like, what ever press you you get have fun and be safe, but if you choose Dillon buy from Brian E, if you don't be leave me call Brian he will tell you what way to go! Why not he's just a 15 + USPSAC!!!!

If you can afford a Dillon 550 or 650, I think you'll be glad you went ahead and sprang for a quality machine. The time it will save you will add up quickly with a progressive press.

How about both? Try a lee turret, it is in between the single stage and the progressive. You can run it as a single stage and then progress to using the auto index function and really crank out some rounds. I can load about 400 rounds an hour on my Dillon Square deal "B" and I can load about 150 rounds an hour with my Lee turret. I love my Dillon, but I'm glad I learned on my turret press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=622290

Just add a set of dies and your in business.

Interesting. I have not looked at the turret presses.

Are dies press/brand specific or are they universal?

I started with a Square Deal B I got used. I made a lot of mistakes, learned how the process went and then upgraded to a 650. I didn't lose any money in the deal, but Dillons don't come up for sale all that often.... so its a tougher road.

Know now, I'd read Brian's how to choose FAQ.

ALL the answers are there in my opinion.

I started with a Lee turret moved up to a SDB and finally got a 1050. I actually still use all 3 presses. And am thinking of adding a 650. It may be a an unreasonable bias, but I think a progressive press should be auto-indexing so I would not consider a 550. It is not about speed but about reducing the possibility of double charges and squibs.

Single stage is inexpensive and very time consuming to load 100 rounds,

relative to a Dillon Square Deal ($350 or so) which is more expensive

to get into, and you can load 200 - 300 rounds per hour.

What YOU need depends on: how many rounds will you load per month?

2. how much time do you have per month to reload? 3. how many

calibers will you reload? 4. How much money do you have? 5. how

competent are you at following mechanical instructions.

Since time is less important to me, and I suck at #5, I'm sticking with

my Square Deal. If I were competent, I'd go with a Dillon 650 and skip

the 550.

But, if you're going to reload 200 rounds a month of one caliber, and

money is tight - nothing wrong with going single stage.

Good luck.

ps. The real trick is to buy your reloading components in bulk and

at good prices - but you have to start with which bullet, primer and

powder do you like - which means reading this forum and experimenting.

the 550.

Good luck.

Very true. And good questions, here are my answers.

1. how many rounds will you load per month?

800 - 1000 per month would be my guess based on current ammo usage

2. how much time do you have per month to reload?

I have a good evening or two per week and possibly a 4 or 5 hours on the weekend.

3. how many calibers will you reload?

To start, I'm planning on reloading 9mm & .45ACP. Eventually, I may add .223.

4. How much money do you have?

I don't mind paying for quality, if it's worth it.

5. how competent are you at following mechanical instructions.

I'm an engineer, so I'm pretty decent understanding mechanical functions and following technical instructions.

Judging by your responses above, i would opt for a Dillon 650, as it is easy to change from small to large primers etc...

I personally would NEVER use a press that is not auto-indexing

Hope that helps.

Judging by your responses above, i would opt for a Dillon 650, as it is easy to change from small to large primers etc...

Hope that helps.

Alright, my next dumb question:

What is auto-indexing?

Hope that helps.

Alright, my next dumb question:

What is auto-indexing?

When you pull the handle, the shell plate automatically advances to the next stage. Manually indexing you have to pull the lever, then turn the shell plate by hand. It's possible to forget to turn the shell plate and wind up with a double charge of powder. It's also possible to get mixed up and turn the shell plate without pulling the lever, and wind up with a case that has no powder in it. A lot of that can be avoided by looking into each case as you seat a bullet, but we all know it's possible to see something that you expect to see, even when nothing is there. R,

I have a good evening or two per week and possibly a 4 or 5 hours on the weekend.

I'm an engineer, so I'm pretty decent understanding mechanical functions and following technical instructions.

Your free time is better spent dry firing instead of loading. Get a 650 and never look back.

A turret press can be a good place to start if you needs and budget are modest. It allows you to learn about reloading and get a good feel for what you are doing and work up loads without having to spend a lot of time learning how to use a progressive press. And once you do move to a progressive, you still have the turret for misc stuff. And, there is always a market for a used turret.

As to where to go after that, most people here like Dillon with good reason. And most of those prefer the 650. But the Square Deal is nothing to sneeze at either. You can probably find a used one if you look around here. My preference is for the 550 because I don't need a case feeder and don't want an auto-indexing press.

it really depends on how much you are going to shoot. I started on a Rockchucker and love it, but it is time consuming. I have abour 300 rounds to laod this week for an upcoming match and i will prime brass tonight, then load for probably the next couple. if i have my brass prepped (deprimed and sized, expanded, then primed) I can load 100 rounds in about an hour or so. I use a case gage on all my ammo so it takes me a little longer. I started to reload simply for cheaper ammo as factory stuff was getting expensive and hard to find. Then i found out about USPSA...

Needless to say I am outshooting my single stage on a regular basis. I am looking to upgreade to a progressive machine chortly as i just dont have the time to pull a single stage handle 3 times for one round.

Try to see if some shooting buddies will show you their setups. Nothing like trying before you buy.

Good luck!

the 550.

Good luck.

Very true. And good questions, here are my answers.

The 550 is the right machine for you. Easy to change calibers (with extra tool heads), able to load pistol and rifle, cheaper than a 650.

Since you're thinking of reloading .223, that lets out the Square Deal;

and since you're loading 1,000 rounds a month, that lets out the

single stage press - that leaves only the three Dillons - the 550,

the 650 and the 1050.

I wouldn't load on a 550 since you have to remember to turn the turret after

each round - I'd go with the 650, or it you really want to spend money, the

1050. Or, two 650's. They do everything for you - nice and simple.

You'll also need a weight measure, chronograph & calipers.

Talk to Brian Enos about ordering all these things.

Since you're thinking of reloading .223, that lets out the Square Deal;

and since you're loading 1,000 rounds a month, that lets out the

single stage press - that leaves only the three Dillons - the 550,

the 650 and the 1050.

I wouldn't load on a 550 since you have to remember to turn the turret after

each round - I'd go with the 650, or it you really want to spend money, the

1050. Or, two 650's. They do everything for you - nice and simple.

You'll also need a weight measure, chronograph & calipers.

Talk to Brian Enos about ordering all these things.

You don't have to remember to turn the turret after each round. If you don't you won't load anything. It's just another thing to do, like setting a bullet or a piece of brass. If I have everything set up, I can load 400-450 an hour on my 550, without a bullet feeder or case feeder. Turning the shellplate becomes second nature after about 500 rounds.

My answer is both. I load .223 and I do all of the case prep work on a single stage press. After cleaning lube cases and deprime and size them on the Single stage press, next they go to the trimmer station and get trimmed if they don't need trimming its fast, then I ream every primer pocket its quicker than checking them. Now back into the tumbler for final cleaning. Next I drop check every case before loading.

For priming, powder, setting bullet, and crimp they go thru the Hornady LNL. After loading the final drop check.

If I knew every case was one I had reloaded before, then I would modify this process but since I pick up everything at carbine matches I have to use the whole process.

I have both the Hornady LNL and the Dillon 650. The only thing that might be better is the Super 1050 with the primer swager.

You don't have to remember to turn the turret after each round. If you don't you won't load anything. It's just another thing to do, like setting a bullet or a piece of brass. If I have everything set up, I can load 400-450 an hour on my 550, without a bullet feeder or case feeder. Turning the shellplate becomes second nature after about 500 rounds.

So, the main reason people recommend the 650 over the 550 is the auto-indexing? Looking at Brian's recommended first purchase, that's $300 for an auto turning plate.

So, the main reason people recommend the 650 over the 550 is the auto-indexing? Looking at Brian's recommended first purchase, that's $300 for an auto turning plate.

You are absolutely correct. The 650 has other options as well, but the most specific feature is the auto index. You do have an extra station on the 650 for either a powder check, or separate seat crimp dies, but that's really about it. You can get a bullet and case feeder for a 550 as well, so if you add those in, there isn't as much difference as everyone makes out. Like I said, the major difference is the auto index.