Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot #6

Think about the fact that we know there are decks of cards back at the house. We saw them spread on the pool table last show. There have also been shots of some of the shooters playing cards so the deck was there to play with and learn poker from the beginning. Now does the fact that there is a pool table in the house mean that there will be a pool shooting challenge to come? :surprise:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andre was dead weight to the Red Team. Watching him shoot just made me cringe... :blink:

Speaking of the : blink : emoticon, I wish the editors had given Kelly a bit of a reprieve during the elimination challenge practice. Most Hollywood actors don't even blink that much, although I guess he hit where he was aiming.

If I recall correctly, mounted shooting (popping balloons) is done with some form of blank (no projectiles). The burning powder pops the balloon. While even doing that is a considerable skill (on a moving horse), is that shooting?

I've not done it but I have shot stationary clays off the back of a moving truck with a shotgun. I suspect shooting balloons while controlling the horse is harder.

Yeah, it's shooting.

If I recall correctly, mounted shooting (popping balloons) is done with some form of blank (no projectiles). The burning powder pops the balloon. While even doing that is a considerable skill (on a moving horse), is that shooting?

No disrespect intended to mounted shooters...

You're right, the Mounted=ed Shooters use 45 Colt Blanks loaded with Black Powder. I'm not sure that I would trust ANY of these guys on a CMS Horse. The best description of Mounted Shooting is "Pole Bending with Pistols".

I have my CAS revos smithed to a 2-1/2lb trigger and have encountered shooters with lighter. It is definitely a different feel and muscle set than any of the autos. Try to remember to COCK the pistol and use your support hand thumb to do it :devil: .

Good challenge though. And cool that they use the Colt in 45, it will generally run a PF of around 180 for Black Hills (250 gr @ ~750fps).

Edited by Modoc

Think about the fact that we know there are decks of cards back at the house. We saw them spread on the pool table last show. There have also been shots of some of the shooters playing cards so the deck was there to play with and learn poker from the beginning. Now does the fact that there is a pool table in the house mean that there will be a pool shooting challenge to come? :surprise:

Good call Charles! :cheers:

Wow, just finished watching JJ's AD, YIKES

I just saw it also. I have shot single action revolers before and they have some very LIGHT triggers. Once you have the hammer back you better have you finger off the trigger unless you are ready to fire.

JJ went up there pretty fast and just got on the trigger just as quick.

I'm surprised he didn't hit the camera from the looks of it. He recovered pretty fast from the AD though, got give him credit there. Haven't seen the show yet. Waiting for it to hit online... Waiting.... Waiting.

I continue to be disappointed in the shooting "challenges" they keep presenting. Shooting bottles and mason jars and cards at 25 feet? Gimme a break. Way too easy.

I suspect they need to keep it very simple based on the mediocre skill level of most of the "Top Shot" contestants.

I still really love this show, I must be in the minority. <_<

I like the show, for what it is, a prime time shooting show. And announced for a second season? Pretty cool. If they only took the very best shooters, and gave them real challenging shooting tests without all the fluff, in the fashion we are used to seeing, without all the side drama.... guess what, most people would not watch it, this would run at 2am on Sunday morning on some cable channel 90% of the public does not get. :ph34r:

I agree the challenges are mostly weak. Some are pretty cool to watch. Overall its entertaining. To the average joe at home on the couch, the contestants ALL probably seem pretty skilled.... think about how brand new shooters at their first USPSA match react, when they see a GM run a course of fire. It seems like they are doing the impossible. :surprise:

Its especially funny how much everyone lives in fear of JJ and Blake. Just wish we could see them shoot more.

Edited by sfinney

With only 4 episodes left (and 10 contestants) I'm going to guess that the team episodes are over, and everyone will get to shoot head to head from now on. Based on other shows, the winner will get immunity, and the rest will be forced to argue over who gets sent to the elimination challenge.

With only 4 episodes left (and 10 contestants) I'm going to guess that the team episodes are over, and everyone will get to shoot head to head from now on. Based on other shows, the winner will get immunity, and the rest will be forced to argue over who gets sent to the elimination challenge.

that would be my assumption as well, but ithink I saw red/blue shirts in the previews. with the contestants/show ratio there is either going to be multiple eliminations or a final challenge between 6 shooters to see who wins.

I suspect Frank represents more of a "above average cop." (Same for Tara) With the scent of gun school junkie. I ain't got nothing against no schools, I'm gonna attend a few in my live. But I can't help but wonder if he wouldn't have been better served spending that money on ammo and practice time instead of another school on a resume.

Tara Poremba has gone Distinguished with a pistol.

While Bullseye is a completely different discipline from practical shooting, going Distinguished is a remarkable feat not easily accomplished.

I suspect Frank represents more of a "above average cop." (Same for Tara) With the scent of gun school junkie. I ain't got nothing against no schools, I'm gonna attend a few in my live. But I can't help but wonder if he wouldn't have been better served spending that money on ammo and practice time instead of another school on a resume.

Tara Poremba has gone Distinguished with a pistol.

While Bullseye is a completely different discipline from practical shooting, going Distinguished is a remarkable feat not easily accomplished.

Thanks for sharing. I did not know this and it explains her (unexpectedly good) performances.

Guys,

Why are there complaints about poker? This was not poker and you did not have to be a poker player to succeed in that game. It required none of the skills of poker aside from the very basic knowledge of how to rank hands - and they provided a chart for that. The challenge was a lot more of a game of Tic-Tac-Toe than poker. It was a simple game of logic requiring no poker skill. As long as neither shooter missed, every round would have been a tie. A single miss would lead to a loss if played correctly. Andre could have won it in the first round though it required thinking a few moves ahead and not missing. He could have easily won it in the second round with a lot less thinking.

They should have spun the wheel during the elimination round. That would have required some shooting skill. This show has really turned into a disappointment for me. Next weeks episode looks like it has some potential. Hopefully the producers didnt find a way to mess it up.

I got to shoot with Brad this weekend, and was invited to go and watch the show with Blake and him after the match, I declined, and I'm very glad, after watching the show.

Did no one notice that he told Andre straight to his face,"I have no reason to vote for you" and then he did!!! based on the fact that he likes Denny??????? Denny asked to be voted for, that is the choice I think he should have made. I think I would have had to tell him, "you lied"!!! straight up lied to his face. I realize its a game but as JJ and Blake have stated, "show a little backbone and loyalty", you are portraying yourself poorly if anything.

One other little tidbit I've noticed about this show over all the other "reality TV" shows I 've watched, this one has contestants asking to be voted into challenges!!!!!

Its an aspect that I do not think the producers anticipated, but it does show the level of integrity that some of the participants have.

trapr

Did anyone notice that the "Expert" appeared to sweep the host's lower body when pulling the Peacemaker off the table about three minutes into the show? The loading gate was open and the hammer down but I still expected to see a better safety mindset.

Did anyone notice that the "Expert" appeared to sweep the host's lower body when pulling the Peacemaker off the table about three minutes into the show? The loading gate was open and the hammer down but I still expected to see a better safety mindset.

The show isn't run by USPSA rules. No DQs, from what we've seen!

The show isn't run by USPSA rules. No DQs, from what we've seen!

I am concerned about firearm safety and not any USPSA rules. Sweeping someone with a gun loaded or not is unacceptable from a safety perspective regardless of the venue.

Episode 8 head to head challenge - the Stanley TR250 Sharpshooter Plus event!

I'm hoping for some shotgun stuff, none of that yet. The Trick shot episode looks pretty cool, always wanted to try sighting a rifle with a mirror!

In one aspect there is a large element of luck to the show. It may mean that a contestant gets so far because they had to sit out shooting a specific gun at which they are not accomplished. It may mean that they had an easier shot on a specific date. It might mean they advance they avoided a challenge not on strengh of performance but rather just because their team members liked them better than the other player who had a marginal performance.

If the producers see this, they may not be planning to take the entire show to a conlusion based only on performance. They could be headed to a jury vote thing like they do on Survivor but I hope that is not the case.

If I had to bet I would wonder if the final challenge is not going to involve at least elements of all the challenges on the show forcing a contestant to complete a specific target before advancing to the next one in the manner we saw on the first show.

Can anyone of the show contestants on the board tell us what the safety rules and procedures were? How do they compare to USPSA safety rules?