Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot #6

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about you guys, but I'm glad Andre is finally gone. I was really hoping Denny wouldn't bite it, and he didn't, even though his performance was pitiful. Andre sucked from show #1, had a significant hand in getting Mike off the show (who would certainly be a stronger asset than Andre...even Frank was better than Andre), etc. It was his time to go.

Not only did Andre make a mental error on the poker challenge, he made a big one on the elimination range. When he came up to vote, it was Kelly - 2, Denny-1, with Andre and Peter left to vote. If Andre had voted for Denny, it would've been Denny and Kelly in the elimination no matter what Peter did.

+1

Andre was dead weight to the Red Team. Watching him shoot just made me cringe... :blink:

This is coming down to a lack of poker knowledge? It's not even a mental game...no tactics, no strategy. Just a lack of poker knowledge.

So sad for a shooting show.

Back to what Flex said, this is the first episode that I didn't have intimate knowledge of the challenges on, and I have to say I'm actually kind of disappointed with the elimination challenge. Especially when you compare it to other challenges like severing a rope with a bullet, or riding the zipline and shooting - those challenges had action and drama, but this challenge really wasn't about shooting at all. It just seemed a little gimmicky. Now, I'm not ripping the show at all - I still believe it's a good show and good for us as a community, but I have to say that this particular elimination challenge didn't measure to others in terms of "coolness". Especially since the Team Challenge with the shooting gallery was actually pretty badass!

This is coming down to a lack of poker knowledge? It's not even a mental game...no tactics, no strategy. Just a lack of poker knowledge.

So sad for a shooting show.

Back to what Flex said, this is the first episode that I didn't have intimate knowledge of the challenges on, and I have to say I'm actually kind of disappointed with the elimination challenge. Especially when you compare it to other challenges like severing a rope with a bullet, or riding the zipline and shooting - those challenges had action and drama, but this challenge really wasn't about shooting at all. It just seemed a little gimmicky. Now, I'm not ripping the show at all - I still believe it's a good show and good for us as a community, but I have to say that this particular elimination challenge didn't measure to others in terms of "coolness". Especially since the Team Challenge with the shooting gallery was actually pretty badass!

This episode may have lacked the "coolness", but more importantly for me, the two finalists in the elimination lacked the mental aptitude to acel at the challenge. Which may have influenced why it may seem boring to some. Marksmanship is much more than pointing the gun at a target and pressing the trigger. Poker knowledge to me was the least important element to this challenge. It was not my favorite episode to date, but I thought it was a worthy challenge.

Andre was dead weight to the Red Team. Watching him shoot just made me cringe.

The show lost appeal to me as soon as I saw Andre shoot. Maybe they should change the name of the show because Top Shot is certainly what it isn't. And this guy had the gall to talk crap about Seeklander's shooting ability...just wow.

Why mount playing cards on a wheel if you're not going to spin the wheel? Get it going about one or two RPM and it would have been a much more interesting challenge. Mount the higher value cards on the outer rim where they're moving faster, etc.

Oh well.

... the two finalists in the elimination lacked the mental aptitude to acel at the challenge. Which may have influenced why it may seem boring to some. Marksmanship is much more than pointing the gun at a target and pressing the trigger. Poker knowledge to me was the least important element to this challenge. It was not my favorite episode to date, but I thought it was a worthy challenge.

Poker knowledge was the deciding element in this challenge. Try as I might, I can't see that as mental aptitude, strategy, or any kind of mental toughness.

It's like asking you to shoot 7 shots at the Periodic Table of Elements (symbols only), with the most hits on elements whose atomic numbers are divisible by 4. Or, maybe a map of the USA and have a 5 shot total for the lowest sum of area codes hit.

Especially since the Team Challenge with the shooting gallery was actually pretty badass!

That was cool.

It's like asking you to shoot 7 shots at the Periodic Table of Elements (symbols only), with the most hits on elements whose atomic numbers are divisible by 4. Or, maybe a map of the USA and have a 5 shot total for the lowest sum of area codes hit.

Season two stages!

Why mount playing cards on a wheel if you're not going to spin the wheel? Get it going about one or two RPM and it would have been a much more interesting challenge. Mount the higher value cards on the outer rim where they're moving faster, etc.

Oh well.

I wonder if they forgot to spin it.

... the two finalists in the elimination lacked the mental aptitude to acel at the challenge. Which may have influenced why it may seem boring to some. Marksmanship is much more than pointing the gun at a target and pressing the trigger. Poker knowledge to me was the least important element to this challenge. It was not my favorite episode to date, but I thought it was a worthy challenge.

Poker knowledge was the deciding element in this challenge. Try as I might, I can't see that as mental aptitude, strategy, or any kind of mental toughness.

I would like to see them have to shoot at three element sets of alloys that have corrosion resistance from high to low. I really like a good shooting challenge...

the more i think about this show in general, the more changes I would obviously like to see..

Season 2: id like to see an individual challenge format the entire way through. no eliminations but a running scoreboard. challenge winners get "X" amount of points, make it 100 for easy math. 2 place gets 95, 3rd get 90, etc etc. there coudl even be bonus points awarded for perfect challenge scores or whatever. After 10 weeks ( or however long they want), the top finisher with the most points is clearly the "Top Shot" out of the group and should get the money. Have plenty of different guns like they do now as to not play into anyone's strengths too much or too little. this way guys like Blake and JJ could actually shoot something, haha. No teams to rely on or lose it for you, not political bs and voting b/c you dont like someone. Just plain shooting challenges and the overall winner with the most points wins!

Would eliminate challenges and problems like this past episode...

I find this show to be quickly degrading to pointless. I never watched any of the 'reality' shows prior to this one and this is precisely why. This isn't Top SHOT, its Survivor Thunder Ranch.

I find myself disgusted in people based on creative editing. I might otherwise consider many of the them my friends on the range.

I might be done watching.........

I find this show to be quickly degrading to pointless. I never watched any of the 'reality' shows prior to this one and this is precisely why. This isn't Top SHOT, its Survivor Thunder Ranch.

I find myself disgusted in people based on creative editing. I might otherwise consider many of the them my friends on the range.

I might be done watching.........

Lol, I find myself thinking every time I watch an episode, "I'm way too big a dick to ever go on this show. I would end up the Johnny Fairplay of Top Shot for sure and be hated by the entire viewing audience." It would make good TV I guess, but it would be hard to make friends after that.

Yay, Andre is finally gone. He should have went in Episode 1. Dude can't shoot, and never could.

I'm kinda interested in the "types" of shooters who have been sent packing, and sent packing by whom:

- Gun historian (Jim) (beat by Ian; former soldier- barely, and potentially by a fluke out of Jim's control)

- Gun School Guru/Former SWAT (Frank)(beat by a competive pistol shooter in a pistol event)

- Soldier (Andre) (beat by a rifle shooter in a pistol event because of mental weakness)

- Competitive Shooter (Mike)(beat by a rifel expert in a rifel event)

- Competitive Shooter (Caleb) (beat by a competive shooter)

We've seen some of the weaker shooters sent home with a few more remaining.

Mike's departure is odd- a poor performance were I expected better, and then a poor choice in forcing a shoot off with Kelly. He simple assured he was goign home. I suspect that very few people on the show could beat Kelly with a fifle.

I suspect Jim was a throw in for comparision shooter. More average Joe than real shootist. But I give him full credit for shooting better than I expected. I predict Iain goes soon for lacking of superior shooting skill. I kinda forget his performance at the moment.

Andre was another throw in. I don't know his actual job in the Army, but I think he was more "average soldier" then speciallized shooter.

I suspect Frank represents more of a "above average cop." (Same for Tara) With the scent of gun school junkie. I ain't got nothing against no schools, I'm gonna attend a few in my live. But I can't help but wonder if he wouldn't have been better served spending that money on ammo and practice time instead of another school on a resume.

Caleb was sent home by one of his own. A competitive shooter and good shot pitted against a competitive shooter and good shot. Caleb went home on the slightest of margins and was sent home over drama instead of shooting skill.

The competitive shooters are definately holding their own.

I wish more of the elite military and LE shooters could have made it. Would love to see a few shooters from SEALS, Delta, Army AMU, FBI HRT, LA SWAT, on the show. I'm not sure we have the best representation of those fields.

We've also seen Brad sent to elimination twice and walked out a winner each time. Same for Kelly. Both had chances to show superiority with their weapon of choice, but both had opportunity to show flexibility and adaptation. Brad with crossbow and Kelly with revolver. They deserve credit for that. They may not have a chance of winning it all, but they've been to the crucible and showed they have some quality metal..

Edited by Steven Cline

I wonder what would had been a good strategy be for that elimination?

If you know your opponent was going for a Strait flush, would you shoot for a 3 of a kind and on your forth shot go for the block and finish it out with a full house or would you go for the 4 of a kind?

If you know your opponent was going for a Strait flush, would you shoot for a 3 of a kind and on your forth shot go for the block and finish it out with a full house or would you go for the 4 of a kind?

Come on Doc, shooting against Andre this is way too much thinking. Just shoot a set. He can't make 4 shots, and it gives you two shots at blocking.

Come on Doc, shooting against Andre this is way too much thinking. Just shoot a set. He can't make 4 shots, and it gives you two shots at blocking.

lol, yea he was kinda dumb-founded when Kelly shot his target. sigh, honestly if I would known that they were gonna take someone like Andre on the show I would had put my app in, that guy is suppose to be representing the US Army as a top shooter, but looking like a goof through the whole show plus having what "appeared" as a AD on that last team challenge. Isn't giving me much faith in my brothers-in-arms :P

Oh man he'll be catching it at his unit for a long time, going out cause you didn't know how to play poker. CLASSIC!!

Edited by DocMedic

Am I the only one who was disappointed in difference in training the expert gave the guys for the challenge vs the elimination round? It didn't seem like it took more than a few shots for him to get Kelly and Andre dialed in and shooting correctly for the Elimination round. And how was it possible for Andre to not of been told about the rear sight until the elimination training? Shouldn't that of been picked up on during his few shots during the first training session they had?

...And how was it possible for Andre to not of been told about the rear sight until the elimination training?...

I would think a "Top Shot" contender would be able to find the rear sight on his own! :rolleyes:

And how was it possible for Andre to not of been told about the rear sight until the elimination training? Shouldn't that of been picked up on during his few shots during the first training session they had?

Using Mike S. as an example...he wasn't told about the rear ladder sight on the 1903. It looks like the briefing/training is purposely not disclosing everything about the weapon, leaving some things for the competitors to find out on their own. From what I understand the training is session is also very brief.

I'm doing nothing for the ratings, I DVR the show and skip over all the BS so I can watch the shooting. Then the shooting is a bit of a disappointment because guys like Blake are getting sat down and they barely showed any of JJ's shots. The next thing is they'll have the Mythbusters out there setting up steel plates for ricochet shots in some sort of billiards challenge... :lol::rolleyes:

Edited by j2fast

It seems the point is to see who has familiarity with and can adapt to new weapons on their own, with minimal instruction, in the team challenges.... they give a few pointers and try to coach more in the eliminations.

Burying the front blade down all the way down in that little notch (hey, is this a sight?) is not really intuitive the first time you pick up a SAA, but you figure it out eventually.... seems like some team mates could coach each other better pre team event.

Gotta love not only the AD, but the facial contortions on Andre!

And by the way, Denny seems to be a good enough shot overall, but anybody know what cowboy mounted shooters use to pop balloons on horseback?

I'm hoping it's JJ vs Blake, hopefully they'll get more competition shooters in the next season.