Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video Idea- needs assistance

I also think that only the top shooters can get away with a multi minute make ready process without making the RO's start foaming at the mouth :blush:

Sheesh, what if every shooter took over a minute to get ready to shoot a 17 second stage? :rolleyes:

It's not just the RO's that get tired of waiting, the rest of the squad is typically fuming as well. <_<

I don't care who you are if you take that long to make ready or do your walk through I am going to make a joke about/with you in front of everyone in the squad. you/it has to be made fun of because everyone in the squad and the RO's are laughing at you behind your back so it should also be done to your face.

This little idea could make for a funny video for sure!

Edited by jtischauser

I'm there to perform to the best of my ability. Until the rule book puts a cap on the make ready time, I'll take whatever time I need to shoot my best. The RO has the option to speed along the process if it is getting ridiculous, I've NEVER seen an RO have to do that at any match I've ever attended.

Sheesh, you guys who complain are probably the same that complain about the "quick" unload and show clear. When I am RO'ing, I allow the shooter as much time as he wants on the make ready as long as it isn't something ridiculous like 5 minutes. It's HIS time, if you have somewhere better you need to be, you should probably just be there.

I don't care if you are a D shooter or GM, you have just as much right to take the time YOU need to make ready. When I am not making ready, I am resetting the stage, RO'ing shooters and doing what ever is necessary to get the next shooter going. When it is MY time to go up to the line and gear up to shoot the stage, I expect the courtesy of allowing me my time. Saying something "witty" during that time to disrupt the shooters time is just plain rude and shows lack of maturity.

If I catch enough of that stuff as an RO, I'll start passing out procedurals for Unsportsman like conduct.

Edited by Aristotle

When it is MY time to go up to the line and gear up to shoot the stage, I expect the courtesy of allowing me my time. Saying something "witty" during that time to disrupt the shooters time is just plain rude and shows lack of maturity.

If I catch enough of that stuff as an RO, I'll start passing out procedurals for Unsportsman like conduct.

I assume you are referring to my previous post without quoting me so I will address your comments as such. If you weren't thinking of my post when you wrote yours then I still feel I need to explain my post to others. Please don't feel like I am attacking any of the slow make readiers out there.

I didn't say I would disrupt anyones process of getting ready to shoot. That would be rude! I said that I would make a joke with you and the rest of the squad about your make ready routine. My point was that if you are taking a long time to get ready to shoot by doing a bunch of airgunning, re gripping, adjusting your hat 10 times, grabbing your junk or whatever the people around you are going to take notice and probably not going to enjoy shooting with you. So rather than have the rest of the squad laughing behind your back I am going to make sure you know that your routine is making you "standout".

Remember when Sergio Garcia had that super long club waggle thing going on a few years back? The TV announcers lit him up at the US Open on National TV. Its annoying to those around you at some point of excess.

I also think a sense of humor often gets mistaken for lack of maturity but to each his own. :cheers:

Joking around after the fact is another thing, and those that know me, know I do my fair share. I like to keep things in my squad light, with less tension and a good dose of comedy really facilitates that.

What I thought you were suggesting was to heckle the shooter as he was making ready, that would not last very long in my squad. For the record, I have a rather compact routine, and I am fortunate enough that my regular shooting partners also have "compact" routines. I have shot with both Max and Travis, and others that have longer routines, whatever it is they have to do, I respect that they do, and it's not simply because they are good shooters. As long as you are the same shooter putting in his time to help reset stages or run the clock for other shooters, I believe you have earned all the time you need, within reason. I'll patiently hold the line for a D Class shooter, and sometimes will even suggest/welcome it. I would rather everyone has a good time.

I also golf, so I know about the whole importance of the pre-shot routine, and I also have a compact routine in golf. I facilitate this by doing things I could be doing while others have their turn. Which means, lining up my shot, chosing the club I will be using and taking my practice swings while the person behind me is taking their turn. In shooting, it's the same thing, I'll airgun the stage in my mind, practice the start (sans gun handling) and ready my camera's, etc BEFORE my RO is ready for me. That way I am only doing things I can only do under my RO's command.

I know how important it is to get mentally in the zone. I would rather wait an extra half a minute for someone to be ready for their shot, than to see them step up to the ball, duff the shot, then slice the next. Do it rite the first time, and constency comes from consistent routine. My two very good friends are golfing professionals, that have longer routines, yet I end up waiting on them less through out the game, than I do some of the weekend warriors I am forced to play with.

:cheers:

Edited by Aristotle

I believe a lot of what we do in this sport requires mental toughness. I also believe that some people take that idea of needing mental toughness and preparedness as though if they do more of a preshot routine they will be more mentally prepared. I don't think that is true for anyone. I could be wrong but I do know that a longer routine becomes funny and then annoying which is why this thread exists.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be awesome! You wrote, "used to"... no more? Please tell me you have a video. Maybe he would consent to doing it once for posterity?

Sadly he doesn't shoot with us much more than a time or two a year *we have weekly matches* and he has stopped with the combing in the last six or seven years. He is a GM and if it works for him I say go for it. lol

I'm there to perform to the best of my ability. Until the rule book puts a cap on the make ready time, I'll take whatever time I need to shoot my best. The RO has the option to speed along the process if it is getting ridiculous, I've NEVER seen an RO have to do that at any match I've ever attended.

+111

I don't care if you are a D shooter or GM, you have just as much right to take the time YOU need to make ready. When I am not making ready, I am resetting the stage, RO'ing shooters and doing what ever is necessary to get the next shooter going. When it is MY time to go up to the line and gear up to shoot the stage, I expect the courtesy of allowing me my time. Saying something "witty" during that time to disrupt the shooters time is just plain rude and shows lack of maturity.

I am with you on that one. As an RO I give the shooter all the time they need but there are a few local shooters that kid around during MR and those guys are fare game. lol

Joe W.

The best is when someone goes through all of that - - to end up with 2 mikes and a FTE :devil:

I do think that there should be a "gentleman's rule" of 30 seconds or less...

Gentleman's rule? Nope, HARD RULE. You go over and you get a procedural. Everybody knows to be ready to shoot when you get to the line. There's nothing like waiting on someone or worse yet roll up on a squad with 4 guys left to shoot and then have to endure thier 1 minute make ready performances when you are trying to get in 12 stages in one day on 90-95 degree heat.

Maybe it's just me...I doubt anybody is going to be all that happy to be featured in your video showing how long they take to MR (many see that as a negative) ?

I'd be sure to get somebody's permission before you added. It's a small world.

Why would they see it as a negative,,,,,,,,,,unless maybe it is?

They are on my youtube channel, want2race441

Sight picture, barney up as required, insert mag, holster, press on ear plugs, adjust glasses, adjust hat, repress ear plugs, make sure the gun is still there in the holster...then assume the appropriate position...then repress the earplugs, adjust glasses, adjust hat, nod I'm ready. I don't know why, it's just what I do.