Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I just broke my ejector in my 1911 9mm which on do i buy?

doubleshot00

I just got back from an IDPA match this morning and wanted to take out my girl to shoot my 9mm 1911 a little. She fired one shot and it jammed (wierd) no jam ups all day. Then it kep jamming up after every shot then i noticed the ejector was broke.

Which ejector should i buy to replace the POS Kimber ejector. Im new to the 1911 world.

Oh yeah it only has about 800 down the barrel.

Thanks

I'd go with the EGW extended ejector.

Plenty of material to blend in to the rear of the slide, and plenty up front to tune the ejection path.

Here is another vote for the EGW extended ejector. A little more fitting needed compared to most others, but well worth the time.

And a good chance it will be the last ejector you will need to install on this gun.

Bill

The question is: extractor or ejector.

Extractors: wilson, ed brown hardcore, aftec... i've used them all and have had no problems with any. Whatever your budget allows.

ejectors, same as above, Just go to shooters connection or any of the vendors here on the sight and take a look.

Extractors, I always keep a couple of spares in my range bag ready to go.

How would you go about fitting it? Would you use a file to shave it down?

After installing in the frame, dress down the sides of the ejector with a fine flat file if needed where the slide no longer rubs. A little magic marker on the ejector will highlight the rub marks. The rear of the ejector can be contoured to match the slide with a cylindrical stone on a dremel. Just a little at a time, please. Not critical as far as function goes but done right it will look better than a poorly fit ejector.

Load up a few dummy rounds. Slowly reduce the nose (front) of the ejector using the dummy rounds to check your progress. Stop before you think you are finished. I found its best to do the "final" tuning with a small fine grit file while at the range. When you think you've got it close, stop fitting and shoot it for a while. Its a lot easier to file off a little more if needed than it is to add it back on.

Bill

If the broken ejector has a slot in it where the ejector sits on the frame you can gently pry the ejector up with a screwdriver and then pull it out. If there is no slot, clamp the old ejector in a vise and pull the frame STRAIGHT away separating the frame and old ejector. DO NOT TWIST THE FRAME WHILE PULLING ON THE FRAME! You don't want to break either ejector leg off in the frame. In either case make sure the retaining pin in the frame is removed first.

CYa,

Pat

I used an Ed Brown in mine. Since an ejector is fairly simple mechanically, as long as you get one made out of high quality steel, you should be fine.

You may have to cut it back a little to adjust your ejection angle.